Is KC really a first round pick?

Has Keon Johnson or Jaden Springer even played this year in any games? Both of them should have stayed too at least one more year to polish their games.

Each of them are making over 2 million dollars this year and are guaranteed 8-10 million more through their rookie contract. They are getting paid massively to polish their game. Why on Earth would they have needed to stay here and do that? The earlier you leave, the faster you get to the second contract.

Kennedy is a 1st rounder. He has elite athleticism and elite defense and passing skills. With our current system/roster he's in one of the worst possible places to showcase that. He will be a classic penetrate/pick and roll point guard in the NBA. A league with better spacing, better shooters and most importantly to a PG, big men who can catch/score. If we had a competent post player KC is probably averaging 7 assists per game this season, maybe even more.

Each of them are making over 2 million dollars this year and are guaranteed 8-10 million more through their rookie contract. They are getting paid massively to polish their game. Why on Earth would they have needed to stay here and do that? The earlier you leave, the faster you get to the second contract.

Kennedy is a 1st rounder. He has elite athleticism and elite defense and passing skills. With our current system/roster he's in one of the worst possible places to showcase that. He will be a classic penetrate/pick and roll point guard in the NBA. A league with better spacing, better shooters and most importantly to a PG, big men who can catch/score. If we had a competent post player KC is probably averaging 7 assists per game this season, maybe even more.

I'm sorry but I just don't see this yet. Yes he is athletic and he does play good defense with steals but to me he throws the ball away way too many times and kills our momentum at critical times during the game and he gets lazy with his passing reason why I imagine CRB puts him on the bench like yesterday for a long time. For the life of me I don't understand why he doesn't use his speed to drive more to the basket like instead of chucking up 3's knowing he isn't that good of a shooter yet at this point in his career. I have lots more confidence right now in ZZ running the point then KC and ZZ is fearless and plays with lots of heart.

Chandler might be a possible first round draft pick but he could benefit from staying at Tennessee another year to work on limiting his turnovers and improving his free throw shooting and finishing more at the rim.

I'm sorry but I just don't see this yet. Yes he is athletic and he does play good defense with steals but to me he throws the ball away way too many times and kills our momentum at critical times during the game and he gets lazy with his passing reason why I imagine CRB puts him on the bench like yesterday for a long time. For the life of me I don't understand why he doesn't use his speed to drive more to the basket like instead of chucking up 3's knowing he isn't that good of a shooter yet at this point in his career. I have lots more confidence right now in ZZ running the point then KC and ZZ is fearless and plays with lots of heart.

Several of his turnovers are because we have incompetent post play. Plenty of times guys could have a dunk and aren't even looking for a pass so it sails out of bounds.

I love ZZs heart but he's not in Chandler's league as a player.+

Reactions: cpavol
Really think KC needs other good players around him. It was evident he sees things quicker than the others yesterday when ON set that screen and has a open lane to roll but never did and KC threw that pass anticipating he would. Would’ve been a open layup

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Really think KC needs other good players around him. It was evident he sees things quicker than the others yesterday when ON set that screen and has a open lane to roll but never did and KC threw that pass anticipating he would. Would’ve been a open layup

Yes! The bench immediately sent a new player to check into game. I was afraid that were going to pull him out for that pass. But, they subbed someone else out.

The routine where he circles until the basket and steps on baseline is getting a bit old. But, he is a future gem....just needs polish. Elite quickness off the dribble.

I understand your premise but Coach Cal, though I dislike KY, tells his players that he is coaching them for their “2nd contract” in the league. One extra year in college can help. However, it’s risky as the player has to sacrifice money up risk an injury. Talent usually prevails in basketball a down year usually won’t occur sophomore year as it can in football.

Yes! The bench immediately sent a new player to check into game. I was afraid that were going to pull him out for that pass. But, they subbed someone else out.

The routine where he circles until the basket and steps on baseline is getting a bit old. But, he is a future gem....just needs polish. Elite quickness off the dribble.

Good point. An announcer commented on that a few games ago, stating opponents know where he’s going with the pass, etc.

I know the NBA often drafts on potential rather than production, but does Kennedy Chandler really project as a first round pick? His shooting and court awareness don’t seem to be strengths at the moment. Is the NBA as willing to spend a first round pick on 6’0” player that hasn’t really accomplished anything and may take years to develop? This is not meant to be a criticism because he’s a very good player, especially for a freshman.
Barnes has screwed him up ....

Reactions: Big time vol
I just saw ESPN they are running a NBA draft possibility for 2022. They have KC projected at No. 25. They have Ty Ty Washington at No. 9. While I don't think KC is ready for the NBA...does not matter what I think so after this season I suppose it's adios for KC.

KC is first round no doubt. I think if he stayed here though he would develop more and be the first pick after a couple seasons working on not turning the ball over and his 3 point shot.

He shouldn’t be. But the same thing that made him a 5 star recruit will make him a high draft pic I’d say. It sounds weird but I wish we’d stop going for those type kids. Go get the good players but kids that aren’t considered future lottery pics.

He shouldn’t be. But the same thing that made him a 5 star recruit will make him a high draft pic I’d say. It sounds weird but I wish we’d stop going for those type kids. Go get the good players but kids that aren’t considered future lottery pics.
?? So going for future first round picks is a bad strategy in your opinion ?

Agree. Unless we could get a lock (Banchero or Jabari), I agree. Barnes is a slow developer of talent, need to stick with the 4* and occasional 3 *

It seems our fans have a very unrealistic idea of what playing in college does for a future pro. Saying someone who is a first rounder should stay to "develop their game" shows an absolute misconception as to what makes a player a better pro. If you take twins (identical talent and skills) and put one in college and the other in the NBA G league or a bench player practicing everyday with pros, I guarantee you the pro one will be much more NBA ready. Staying in college works if you think hard work can overcome what the pros already think about your potential (i.e. prove them wrong about your ability to guard elite talent). It does not make someone with elite talent more ready for the NBA than the NBA could do in that same year.

It seems our fans have a very unrealistic idea of what playing in college does for a future pro. Saying someone who is a first rounder should stay to "develop their game" shows an absolute misconception as to what makes a player a better pro. If you take twins (identical talent and skills) and put one in college and the other in the NBA G league or a bench player practicing everyday with pros, I guarantee you the pro one will be much more NBA ready. Staying in college works if you think hard work can overcome what the pros already think about your potential (i.e. prove them wrong about your ability to guard elite talent). It does not make someone with elite talent more ready for the NBA than the NBA could do in that same year.

I see what you are saying, but my question would be this - If a player like KC leaves and gets drafted late 1st round (20-25), would that be a smarter move than staying and improving your stock to be top 10 pick?
I'm referring to the financial risk of waiting a year to get a potential top 10 NBA contract.

Reactions: TNBV
I see what you are saying, but my question would be this - If a player like KC leaves and gets drafted late 1st round (20-25), would that be a smarter move than staying and improving your stock to be top 10 pick?
I'm referring to the financial risk of waiting a year to get a potential top 10 NBA contract.
If you thought for sure you could improve 15 spots than I guess you would need to calculate the difference in pay versus 1 less year of pay and one year further away from your first non-rookie contract. The problem with KC is I think he ceiling may well be out of the top 10 due to his height, or maybe not. But if the goal is to be the best NBA player you can be at say age 23, then I think going pro early is the best option. NBA likes youth/potential and may overlook some deficiencies in a 18/19 year old that they wont in a 20/21 year old. When you watch the NBA draft combines they talk a lot about the age of the player, which I assume is due to assumed potential.

VN Store

Back