Is KC really a first round pick?

I think chances are getting better every game that KC and BHH are both coming back.

My guess - KC 60% chance returning, BHH 75% chance returning.

just my own feeling watching both regress as season goes on. Barnes development begins to show on freshmen in middle of yr 2.
My guess is 95% for KC to go draft and 5% return. 80% for BHH to return, 5% enter draft, and 15% transfer. Again just my guess

Last edited:
I’d go 60/40 on draft vs. return for KC as of today, with it trending in the direction of return.
As of today…90% return/9% transfer/1% enter the draft
Wow that is not what I was expecting at all. Both of those are great news, just definitely not what I expected. I know that anything can happen and things change, but just looking at it right now that is a positive sign for next year.

Chandler will be a first round draft choice with the expectations his game will be further developed along the lines of a Chris Paul type point guard and will be surrounded by bigs and shooters with hands, awareness, hoop IQ and skill sets more like his, which will make him look much better, he can make incredible inside passes and has done so several times this year, but with an awkward inside game at Tennessee, his talent gets lost when the current bigs can't finish.

His draft stock is sinking though, much like Emoni Bates, Jalen Duren and Earl Timberlake at Memphis, what was expected isn't where he will be drafted, Chandler won't be back, he'll enroll in the draft or transfer to Duke or Kansas where he can work on his floor game with similar skill sets and a different talent development process.

Cp3 played multiple years at wake forest

Hundley-Hatfield has talent but miles to go. He plays to outside and has to be as physical as his size. Not down on him but he is going to have to earn minutes. Barnes does a great job of giving folks time if they play hard. But he is playing him as much as he can. Transferring isn’t his answer, improving and working harder is. He can’t come down and chunk up a 25 footer early in the shot clock. He can’t make bad passes. But he does have potential if he is willing to work at it.

Reactions: vol94
He’ll probably still get drafted first round but he’ll probably be just as much a marginal player as KJ, JS and about 300 other players fledgling in the D league!

Reactions: General Jack
Hundley-Hatfield has talent but miles to go. He plays to outside and has to be as physical as his size. Not down on him but he is going to have to earn minutes. Barnes does a great job of giving folks time if they play hard. But he is playing him as much as he can. Transferring isn’t his answer, improving and working harder is. He can’t come down and chunk up a 25 footer early in the shot clock. He can’t make bad passes. But he does have potential if he is willing to work at it.
You can see crazy potential with BHH’s size and with the way he moves. I think he will eventually put it together.

I believe that was back when they had to play at least two years of college before entering the draft I could be completely wrong though
Could have been. They’ve changed those rules so many times I can’t keep track of what they were when

I don't know why guys would want to toil in G league versus playing for packed houses in college. With good coaching you develop either way, and your forfeit most of the college experience by running off to the minor leagues after one season.

Reactions: knox73
I don't know why guys would want to toil in G league versus playing for packed houses in college. With good coaching you develop either way, and your forfeit most of the college experience by running off to the minor leagues after one season.

I know millions of reasons why they would.

Reactions: walkenvol
I don't the money is going anywhere unless there's a bad injury and maybe that's the rub. Or if they think they are going to regress as a player over a few years in college.

Those reasons and others. If you are confident in yourself in developing, you start taking the money. Most of the time, guys are going to develop quicker when you solely focus on it as a job as opposed to having other distractions.

It’s one thing to be a second rounder without a guaranteed contract. Being in the first round is huge.

Those reasons and others. If you are confident in yourself in developing, you start taking the money. Most of the time, guys are going to develop quicker when you solely focus on it as a job as opposed to having other distractions.

It’s one thing to be a second rounder without a guaranteed contract. Being in the first round is huge.

The economics of leaving as a first round pick make sense if someone handles the situation maturely. i.e. puts in the work and has a career in the NBA and doesn't blow the money as a 3-4 year G-league washout.

Its hard to put a value on the college experience but its a great time of life. Schlepping around the country playing a handful of minutes for empty G league arenas doesn't sound like that much fun. How many of these kids get a second contract or make it to a career in the NBA? Then the rest either work a throw-away job or go back to college as the old guy who failed in the G league after blowing the guaranteed minimum in 3-4 years.

Sure would have been fun to see Keon Johnson improve his ball handling skills while playing with this year's team. I don't blame Springer for leaving, he had a more complete game.

Rob on VQ said it’s far from a sure thing he’s gone, that it doesn’t look like he’s a first round lock and if he’s not then a return is very much on the table. Also mentioned BHH he doesn’t think will look to transfer, never know what people around him may do or facilitate, but when asked if it thinks BHH is unhappy with his plaything time he said “I just don’t think he cares much”.

If BHH doesn’t care that much, then his NBA career will be cut pretty short.

The economics of leaving as a first round pick make sense if someone handles the situation maturely. i.e. puts in the work and has a career in the NBA and doesn't blow the money as a 3-4 year G-league washout.

Its hard to put a value on the college experience but its a great time of life. Schlepping around the country playing a handful of minutes for empty G league arenas doesn't sound like that much fun. How many of these kids get a second contract or make it to a career in the NBA? Then the rest either work a throw-away job or go back to college as the old guy who failed in the G league after blowing the guaranteed minimum in 3-4 years.

Sure would have been fun to see Keon Johnson improve his ball handling skills while playing with this year's team. I don't blame Springer for leaving, he had a more complete game.

Even if they flame out after year 4, they would be in demand overseas, where some guys have made a good living making 6 figure salaries. Take someone like Dennis Smith, Jr. He didn’t really pan out and is now in year 5 or 6. He has signed two 1 year deals for about $2 million the last 2 years. He’s still making generational money sitting on the bench. He was a top 10 pick.

I know it may not be fun playing in the G League, but they are making big money, and the key is to grind to get better every day for that big contract.

But if they only make it 4 years, then leaving early was the correct decision…because it means they weren’t going to get better in college, making no money.

VN Store

Back