Is it possible we have one of the best, and worst fan bases in college football?

Agreed.. here are the biggest things I heard this off season

1. 6-6 would be a positive year (still have a chance)
2. I just hope we can score pointsā€¦ āœ…
3. Stay competitive.. so far āœ…

But week 2ā€¦ fire the coach and letā€™s shut down the football programā€¦ itā€™s F***ing stupid
This!!

you cannot blame the fans for what they have been put through. I don't know where you get this from. there are graduates of tennessee that have NEVER seen a winning season.

Ummm we had a winning season 2 years ago..even with one of the most dysfunctional stafss weve had...what are you talking about?

We have a fan base. Don't confuse this board with it. the real fan base are those that continue to support the team by going to games and sticking with the program. All fan bases have the disgruntled complainers and sunshine pumpers. this is just our world.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
All off season, reading the message boards, and the consensus was that this years team would be avg at best. Most folks picked between 5-7 - 6-6, with a few outliers giving more sunshine, and some more negavol. This team is exactly what most expected them to be. After two games, this board is riddle with ridicule of a team you would think had national title hopes! It's comical to me watching it all unfold honestly. I will say as for the play, it has been a pleasure to watch them be competitive so far, with two games under a team who lost 30 player to the transfer portal, and a new head coach and staff that was brought in late, I'm not going to play arm chair quarterback and pretend I know more than the coaching staff. At this point, y'all are just conjecturing. Carry on though all you football geniuses, QB guru's, and arm chair quarterbacks. Makes for some fun reading!
I think it is the best when we are winning and one of the worst when we are losing. Solution--Win all of them.

As an outsider, You guys are awesome. I'm being as honest as I can for a guy that loves all football for 40 years now and I like to think I keep up with how the game changes both on and off the field. We are a long way from the wishbone when I was a kid.(The lower scholarships rule really hurt some big school Tennessee was one of them to me)

The not being satisfied with being okay is a good thing. Unfortunately where the school is now, you should be happy with being okay if it looks like its improving. The school needs some stability. JH takes over a dumpster fire and in the 2nd game people are already saying he doesn't have it after a losing a game they showed great improvement in and played against what looked like an NFL draft pick at QB is stupid. Every team has fans like that though so it not just Tennessee. The guy is taking over the least talented vols team of any coach in knoxville going back to majors. Far to often Its hard for many fans of any team in any sport to except there team doesnt have talent. It takes a lot to fix that so they go after the coach and think changing 1 guy will change everything instantly. Bama offensive coaches all look great with that talent, how did the one look with Texas talent vs Arkansas this week? Bad. It's all about talent in college football and it starts with QB which Tennessee doesnt have. I give coach a pass. He didnt recruit these kids and Tennessee wasnt a prime place for transfer QBs as the talent on the team was all leaving this year. Next year he can say to recruits "look at this play. We got guys wide open. (Like this week) and i need you to play here and make those throws".
The execution of not excepting just being okay by the people that have hired the coaches the last 4 times has really hurt Tennessee.
The biggest problem now is a recruit doesnt remember the last time Tennessee was really good. There 18. They remember about 8 years. They want a coach that puts players in the NFL..
Hell Kentucky looks more appealing to them at this point. Hopefully JH can get you guys ranked next year and keep you ranked, even if its high teens to low 20s to get Tennessee back in the spotlight.
I also think its time to really reevaluate what Tennessee is now not 20 years ago..times have changed. Like Nebraska and michigan, Tennessee doesnt have the large recruiting map they did back then as the demographics of amerca have changed.
Hate to say it but moving forward Tennessee's best outlook to me is being a top 15 team that will have a chance at the big dances every few years when they get a couple of the special recruits. Getting 8-10 wins 3 years in a row will go a long way. Be happy being like Wisconsin, Penn st, Florida Georgia type teams that havent won championships lately but are good and often fun to watch. The alternative is Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, South Carolina USC which are all in stages of the abyss like Tennessee is.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
As an outsider, You guys are awesome. I'm being as honest as I can for a guy that loves all football for 40 years now and I like to think I keep up with hpw the game changes both on and off the field. Webare a long way from the wishbone when I was a kid.(The lower scholarships rule really hurt some big school Tennessee was one of them to me)

The not being satisfied with being okay is a good thing. Unfortunately where the school is now, you should be happy with being okay if it looks like its improving. The school needs some stability. JH takes over a dumpster fire and in the 2nd game people are already saying he doesn't have it after a losing a game they showed great improvement in and played against what looked like an NFL draft pick at QB is stupid. Every team has fans like that though so it not just Tennessee. The guy is taking over the least talented vols team of any coach in knoxville going back to majors. Far to often Its hard for many fans of any team in any sport to except there team doesnt have talent. It takes a lot to fix that so they go after the coach and think changing 1 guy will change everything instantly. Bama offensive coaches all look great with that talent, how did the one look with Texas talent vs Arkansas this week? Bad. It's all about talent in college football and it starts with QB which Tennessee doesnt have. I give coach a pass. He didnt recruit these kids and Tennessee wasnt a prime place for transfer QBs as the talent on the team was all leaving this year. Next year he can say to recruits "look at this play. We got guys wide open. (Like this week) and i need you to play here and make those throws".
The execution of not excepting just being okay by the people that have hired the coaches the last 4 times has really hurt Tennessee.
The biggest problem now is a recruit doesnt remember the last time Tennessee was really good. There 18. They remember about 8 years. They want a coach that puts players in the NFL..
Hell Kentucky looks more appealing to them at this point. Hopefully JH can get you guys ranked next year and keep you ranked, even if its high teens to low 20s to get Tennessee back in the spotlight.
I also think its time to really reevaluate what Tennessee is now not 20 years ago..times have changed. Like Nebraska and michigan, Tennessee doesnt have the large recruiting map they did back then as the demographics of amerca have changed.
Hate to say it but moving forward Tennessee's best outlook to me is being a top 15 team that will have a chance at the big dances every few years when they get a couple of the special recruits. Getting 8-10 wins 3 years in a row will go a long way. Be happy being like Wisconsin, Penn st, Florida Georgia type teams that havent won championships lately but are good and often fun to watch. The alternative is Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, South Carolina USC which are all in stages of the abyss like Tennessee is.

All off season, reading the message boards, and the consensus was that this years team would be avg at best. Most folks picked between 5-7 - 6-6, with a few outliers giving more sunshine, and some more negavol. This team is exactly what most expected them to be. After two games, this board is riddle with ridicule of a team you would think had national title hopes! It's comical to me watching it all unfold honestly. I will say as for the play, it has been a pleasure to watch them be competitive so far, with two games under a team who lost 30 player to the transfer portal, and a new head coach and staff that was brought in late, I'm not going to play arm chair quarterback and pretend I know more than the coaching staff. At this point, y'all are just conjecturing. Carry on though all you football geniuses, QB guru's, and arm chair quarterbacks. Makes for some fun reading!
Totally agree. They tackled much better. They stopped the run til the end of the game. They put up points. He played to win the game. Execution by not the most talented players hurt. Play calling didnt work out. I don't know what was up but 3rd and 4th down runs got stuffed across college football Saturday.
I though the pitt QB is NFL draft type of player.
Kid ran out of trouble and threw some dimes.
Every now and then a coach takes over a talented team poorly coached but almost always its the other way around. JH took over a team with below avg talent. It will be enough and coached enough to beat low teams like BG and vandy. After that nothing is a given.

To be fair, I have defending the fan criticism in the past but the heat towards Heupel is a little stupid.

I am wondering if we should have tried to hold onto Greg Schiano. He is starting to turn things around again at Rutgers.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Agreed.. here are the biggest things I heard this off season

1. 6-6 would be a positive year (still have a chance)
2. I just hope we can score pointsā€¦ āœ…
3. Stay competitive.. so far āœ…

But week 2ā€¦ fire the coach and letā€™s shut down the football programā€¦ itā€™s F***ing stupid
Nobody is call for the coach to be fired. He hasn't even had is undeserved pay raise and extension after a mediocre season yet! We know how this works....it's not our first rodeo.

Great comments Longshank. Of course us fans aren't happy with the program's record over the last 15 years, but the current coaching staff is not to blame for that. With the instability of the program and the looming NCAA sanctions, we were extremely limited on available coaches. At least Heupel wanted to come here, so the fans need to support him and do their part to make the best of it. It is insane to start the blame game this early in his tenure. It takes time to install new schemes with new players, especially when a lot of them are inexperienced and not as talented as most of the teams we play. We really won't know what kind of coach we have for another couple of years. The best we can hope for is to weather the NCAA storm, establish some stability and start playing more sound fundamental football. If we do that, no reason we can't get back to winning 7 to 8 games consistently. Then you reevaluate and see what is needed to logically take the next step to winning 10+ games per year. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

To be fair, I have defending the fan criticism in the past but the heat towards Heupel is a little stupid.

I am wondering if we should have tried to hold onto Greg Schiano. He is starting to turn things around again at Rutgers.

Exactly. If youā€™re on here already putting heat on Heupel youā€™re in the category that gets labeled the worst . There was some moron on Mark Packers XM 84 show yesterday around 5:30 regurgitating some of the same BS thatā€™s on here all the time. ā€œWell Pack weā€™re just mad ok. Heupel already done showed us he ainā€™t the guy.ā€ People like that need to STFU. Youā€™re actually part of the problem.

Reactions: stonesk and McDad
Pretty sure we arenā€™t in the running for best fan baseā€¦other option is still possible

And right there is where your argument lost all credibility. Nobody with a mind grounded in reality would think this team has national title hopes or expectations. The best that can be hoped for is this team not being the disaster it has been under the previous leadership. As to the topic you raise, you are just adding to the argument that Tennessee has one of the worst fan bases with that asinine statement.

The realistic hope is to regain a measure of respect this year that has been lost during this century. We want to see this team give their all for Tennessee. We only have 71 scholarship players. Had you reframed from making that 6 word statement, your post would have seemed reasonably intelligent. But you felt the need to make it. Which leads me to ask: What village is offering a reward for the return of their idiot? There is a fine line between making an intelligent post and looking like a moron.

Exactly. If youā€™re on here already putting heat on Heupel youā€™re in the category that gets labeled the worst . There was some moron on Mark Packers XM 84 show yesterday around 5:30 regurgitating some of the same BS thatā€™s on here all the time. ā€œWell Pack weā€™re just mad ok. Heupel already done showed us he ainā€™t the guy.ā€ People like that need to STFU. Youā€™re actually part of the problem.

I did not like the penalties this past Saturday. That was on Heupel (after I was bragging about the lack of mistakes week 1, we made tons of them in week 2).

I am starting to wonder why Milton started over Hooker. Milton might figure it out but he clearly wasn't ready yet.

The 3 turnovers to 0 turnovers is HUGE.

However, I also appreciate the mess Heupel walked into. Unfortunately, Vol fans need to understand that this is once again a rebuild, A MAJOR ONE, after what happened this December. The fact that we have a competitive team is an accomplishment for this staff.

I also think Pittsburgh could be really good, especially in a weak ACC.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Some fans are over the top negative but most are rational. I always find it amusing those posters who think your just a negavol because you posted something pointing out a negative reality. Its a long time abused fan base. Its tough to get positive just on speculations. Reality on the field is what changes posters attitudes.

VN Store

Back