Is it possible we have one of the best, and worst fan bases in college football?

Some of the signs of mental illness according to the Mayo Clinic:
  • Feeling sad or down :(
  • Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate o_O
  • Excessive fears or worries :rolleyes:
  • Extreme mood changes of highs and lows :mad::D:mad::D:mad:
  • Withdrawal from friends and activities :oops:
  • Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping :eek:
  • Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations o_Oo_Oo_O
  • Problems with alcohol or drug use :cool::p
  • Major changes in eating habits :eek::eek::eek:
  • Excessive anger, hostility or violence :mad::mad::mad:
  • Suicidal thinking :(:(:(

So Vol fandom is in and of itself a mental disorder at this point.

Reactions: Jravol78 and McDad

Good post.

Some on Volnation:
UT loses a game: We're the worst. Fire coach. Bench players. Boycott games.
UT wins a close game: Should have never been that close. We're the worst. Fire coach. Bench players. Boycott games.
UT wins a blowout: Should have won by MOAR. We're the worst. Fire coach. Bench players. Boycott games.
UT starts winning regularly: I bet our coach goes somewhere for more money. We're the worst. Fire AD. Burn mattresses. Boycott games.
UT wins a national championship: We aren't getting our due in the media. They're the worst. Boycott ESPN.
UT fan wins mega millions: taxes, taxes taxes.

I need to go get professional help. Thanks a lot Mayo Clinic

Reactions: McDad and Rifleman
We had a winning season in 2019,DD

I get 7-6 is technically a winning season.

But nailing a fat chick with one leg is still getting laid technically too.

Sometimes you want a little more than loses to every good team you play and wins against 3 no name D2 schools and SC, Vandy, and Kentucky to get to a bowl game against some other crap team like Indiana. That’s not really a winning season to me.

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
I'm 55. I would say since 1970, nothing has changed about the fans. What's changed is the team is not good. They used to be pretty good. When they were good, the fans acted like they act now.

Reactions: NEO and Rifleman
All off season, reading the message boards, and the consensus was that this years team would be avg at best. Most folks picked between 5-7 - 6-6, with a few outliers giving more sunshine, and some more negavol. This team is exactly what most expected them to be. After two games, this board is riddle with ridicule of a team you would think had national title hopes! It's comical to me watching it all unfold honestly. I will say as for the play, it has been a pleasure to watch them be competitive so far, with two games under a team who lost 30 player to the transfer portal, and a new head coach and staff that was brought in late, I'm not going to play arm chair quarterback and pretend I know more than the coaching staff. At this point, y'all are just conjecturing. Carry on though all you football geniuses, QB guru's, and arm chair quarterbacks. Makes for some fun reading!

At Tennessee anything is possible and I mean anything:(

I get 7-6 is technically a winning season.

But nailing a fat chick with one leg is still getting laid technically too.

Sometimes you want a little more than loses to every good team you play and wins against 3 no name D2 schools and SC, Vandy, and Kentucky to get to a bowl game against some other crap team like Indiana. That’s not really a winning season to me.
What is more meaningful, NEO, moral victories or moral defeats?

Winning seasons are a matter of factual record. How we feel about them is a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
What is more meaningful, NEO, moral victories or moral defeats?

Winning seasons are a matter of factual record. How we feel about them is a matter of opinion.

I rarely ever am a fan of moral victories. In very rare cases, they can help build in the future but those are very few times truly.

But 7-6 is not really a winning season someone should brag about in most cases. If we go 7-6 this year and display good coaching then I find it a positive but it’s not great. It means we upset no one.

I rarely ever am a fan of moral victories. In very rare cases, they can help build in the future but those are very few times truly.

But 7-6 is not really a winning season someone should brag about in most cases. If we go 7-6 this year and display good coaching then I find it a positive but it’s not great. It means we upset no one.
Bold is not accurate.
Italics is opinion.
I don't mind if someone is sour on 7-6. It doesn't matter if someone is ecstatic about 7-6.

7-6 is a winning season by objective measurement.
Whether it's a point of brag or shame is subjective.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Bold is not accurate.
Italics is opinion.
I don't mind if someone is sour on 7-6. It doesn't matter if someone is ecstatic about 7-6.

If you are 7 and 6 your regular season was .500.

This alone makes 7-6 not completely a winning season. Now 8-4 is a winning season. Both were above .500.

Bold is not accurate.
Italics is opinion.

The only time it can't be used is to defend a coach that consistently goes 7-5. Unless it's a program like, say, Northwestern where 8-4 / 7-5 means job security. But otherwise multiple years of 7-5 by a coach can't be defended with "yeah, but he has a winning record!"

We are the best fan base on the planet outside of the Browns.

You pull the crap like this stuff UT has pulled in the past 20 years at a OSU, Bama, or Fl and they are rioting.

We were also on the same level as these three 20 years ago.

Now we are on Vandys level and the fans still fill the stadium.

Only if a regular season game was somehow not played. Could be 8-5 and be 8-4 in in regular season with loss in bowl game.

I think…..

No I mean 7-5 in the regular season. And then you lose your bowl game, making you 7-6.

Now you have me questioning how many games we play every year....

Think you had a decent year to build on but you are getting fired at most schools with 3 seasons like this.

That's what I'm getting at. Technically a "winning" season, but it's not going to cut it at a program with any sort of history or prestige.

Reactions: NEO
If you are 7 and 6 your regular season was .500.

This alone makes 7-6 not completely a winning season. Now 8-4 is a winning season. Both were above .500.
Congratulations???

You have found a way to root out a moral defeat from what is a winning season by definition.

Congratulations???

You have found a way to root out a moral defeat from what is a winning season by definition.

Are we TN or Vandy because 7-6 at TN is crap unless you are test one in a rebuild.

The only time it can't be used is to defend a coach that consistently goes 7-5. Unless it's a program like, say, Northwestern where 8-4 / 7-5 means job security. But otherwise multiple years of 7-5 by a coach can't be defended with "yeah, but he has a winning record!"
If you have followed this idiotic discussion from the start (my convo with doubleDs), then you know I am not defending any coach who had a 7-6 record. NEO is being obtuse and intentionally seeking a moral defeat for some inexplicable reason.

VN Store

Back