Is Hooker Huepel's Dobbs?

Agreed!

If you get enough DB's, oftentimes. a couple of them will grow into LB size players. Especially, big safety types.

Extremely important that the back seven on defense can truly run fast.

Yeah , I dont follow recruiting much anymore but I think they have 6 DBs committed as of now when I looked the other day.. Bound to try 1 or 2 of them at LB as they fill out.

Plus , with using more 5 DB sets being used by teams, LB isn't quite as important as it used to be.

But they still need guys that can rush the passer and still have the ability to stuff the run and drop back in coverage.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Yeah , I dont follow recruiting much anymore but I think they have 6 DBs committed as of now when I looked the other day.. Bound to try 1 or 2 of them at LB as they fill out.

Plus , with using more 5 DB sets being used by teams, LB isn't quite as important as it used to be.

But they still need guys that can rush the passer and still have the ability to stuff the run and drop back in coverage.

Yeah. I haven't taken notes or anything but....seems like we have played the 4-2-5 defense by far the most this season.

Against USCjr, with Rattler that hot and the two running backs out, and missing Banks, I wanted to see a 4-1-6 defense.

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
Yeah. I haven't taken notes or anything but....seems like we have played the 4-2-5 defense by far the most this season.

Against USCjr, with Rattler that hot and the two running backs out, and missing Banks, I wanted to see a 4-1-6 defense.

I got to the point of just blitz 6 every play and maybe they could have forced Rattler into a few mistakes. One thing that gets lost in the shuffle is TN didn't force any turnovers.

It was as bad a defensive effort imaginable.

Those DBs were completely disinterested in that game.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
I got to the point of just blitz 6 every play and maybe they could have forced Rattler into a few mistakes. One thing that gets lost in the shuffle is TN didn't force any turnovers.

It was as bad a defensive effort imaginable.

Those DBs were completely disinterested in that game.

Yes! The only way to win that one was to knock him down a few times.

Couldn't believe their offensive tackles just totally locked out Young and Baron

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
No, he’s Fulmer’s Manning, everyone knows what happened next.

Nope. Dobbs constantly had to “make” plays because of his inept coach. So did Kamara. Under Josh we are seeing plays that are designed to his players’ strengths. I’ve said it a million times on here…give Heupel the 2016 Vols team and he is playing for, if not winning a natty. That team was absolutely loaded. They covered up a lot of Butch’s mistakes.

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Dobbs was great at making plays out of nothing. Hooker is great at reading defenses and throwing to wide-open guys. Big difference in the coaching/play-calling.
Exactly if you can’t see that players are being developed on the offensive side of the ball idk what to tell you. Hooker, Milton, Velus, Bru, etc were all transfers from other programs that couldn’t get the most out of their talent.

Reactions: CDB
Anyone with common sense could understand the thread title

Your definition of common sense probably does not align with mine. People keep comparing previous coaches to present
coaches with the paranoid belief that history is repeating itself.

Way I see it? Different day, and what your "common sense" crap does is stir up paranoia. At least the orange helmets looked good.

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
Finkle is Einhorn.

Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach.

Let me stop you right there, because that couldn't be less true. Dobbs was a monster and a true VFL, but at no point did I (or anyone I know) ever believe that Jones was any more than a step ladder to a legitimate P5 coach at best. And Jones turned out to be exactly the clown he so often appeared to be.

Reactions: Sarms58
Dobbs never made me think that Butch was the next great coach…I (and many other Vol fans) were well aware that Dobbs was saving Butch’s ass week in/week out. No coach has mismanaged a roster as badly as Butch did. We had tons of talent because apparently Butch was a good salesman but we lost so much talent from guys transferring out and others never getting developed it was pitiful. I occasionally watch NFL on Sundays and see our second string RB doing ok down in New Orleans…and the sad part is regardless of how good you thought Hurd was, AK was the ultimate RB for the offense Butch was trying to run yet Butch was unable to recognize it.

Huepel and Butch have nothing in common.

Edit: Butch was our Ray Goff.

Well I don’t really care cause Heupel seems to get him a “Dobbs “ on a regular basis,
So let the next on come on cause the offense is gonna keep rolling

Dobbs had a solid supporting cast on defense. Hooker did not. CJH has resurrected UT from the dead. As much as I love Hooker he isn't Jameis Winston or Cam Newton.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
To answer the OP’s question, unfortunately no. Hooker was exceptional in the scheme, but the scheme also helped Hooker. Heupel has a solid offense year in and year out. For your sake, he needs to pull an Orgeron and hire a great DC.

I have worries, but that is not one of them. One of my worries is that IF this works, then 4 years from now:
1. Everybody is running Heupel's offense.
2. People have decided how to properly defend against it and recruited accordingly
3. It has been decided that recruiting money is the only solution, and now the fans collectively of all schools are chipping in a billion dollars extra, but nobody gains an advantage from it, as recruiting from other planets is not yet available.
4. Tennessee Fans begin to 100% agree that 10 10-win seasons is the ceiling and is not acceptable.

Worry about the high cost of success.
Why you have to grow as a team and get better in all phases. You worry to much, our improvement in 2 years is huge. We still got to continue to improve and we will. We will be fine and the future is bright. Our offense will evolve. That’s what football is a constant battle of x and o’s. GBO!

Did Butch get us to this level with Dobbs? No. Did Butch beat Bama? Nope. Did Butch ever have an offense like this? No. Dobbs was very good but Hooker was better. I highly doubt anyone on here thought Butch was gonna be a great coach.

Butch didn’t develop Dobbs. Heupel developed Hooker.

Dobbs made plays in spite of CBJ’s ineptness. Hooker on the other hand completely complimented the genius that is CJH.

VN Store

Back