Is Hooker Huepel's Dobbs?

Can everyone please put their dang crystal balls away.

All the speculation is nonsense folks wanna say I told you so 2-3 years from now so they can look smart.

how about just sit back relax and see how it unfolds and quit with the guessing game

I think it’s a way for fans to to kill time after a poor loss that probably cost us a chance for playoffs.

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.

Did Butch ever develop a Drew Lock or a Sam Bradford before he came to Tennessee?

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
Uh, Heupel already did this with Drew Locke, and had very good QB play at UCF. There is no comparison of Jones to Heupel when it comes to offensive acumen. None.

Huepel made hooker a much better player. Just compare his time at VT to UT. Come on now

He was nothing, but you can't say a qb is developed if they don't produce results at the next level. That's the entire point of cfb, develop players to succeed at the next level.

That’s silly. A quarterback being developed doesn’t mean they will work out in the pros. It means they are made into better quarterbacks. Plenty of good QBs who succeed in college do not succeed in the pros.

Roast away, but in a vacuum, Hooker is no Dobbs. I love Hooker, and he fits wonderfully into CJH’s schemes, but Dobbs won games in spite of gosh-awful coaching. Hooker’s arm is better and much more polished, but Dobbs had zero offensive line and still made plays. I wasn’t around for Condredge, but Dobbs’s elusiveness was on par (based on the videos I’ve seen). In summary, I think more QB’s could fit with CJH’s game-plan. CBJ had no game-plan.

At UCF in 2018 McKenzie Milton threw for 2700 yards, 25 tds and 6ints, before blowing his knee out. A freshman took over and threw for 619 yards in the last few games.

In 2019 the freshman from the year before got hurt. So Dillion Gabriel started. He was a freshman. He threw for 3700 yards 29 tds and 7ints. In 2020 he threw for 3600 yards in 10 games with 32 tds and 4 ints.

At Missouri Drew Lock threw for 1300 yards, only completed 49 percent of his passes, threw for 2 times as many interceptions at touchdowns the year before Heupel. In year one under Heupel he threw for 3400 yards, 29 tds and 10 ints. In year two he threw for 4000 yards, 44 touchdowns and 13 ints. Once Heupel left and Lock was a senior he threw for 3300 yards, 28 tds and 8 interceptions.

We know what Hooker did here.

His impact on QBs in a positive way shines like a beacon.

Butch had no post Dobbs strategy. Dormady was tall and slow for his system. JG was a fraud who had no business playing at a SEC program with standards.

While Dobbs saved a lot of games, he set a standard of winning that Butch just didn’t recruit for when Dobbs was gone. Heupel clearly has that planned for. The portal helps as well if we have to resort to it
Fun fact, Quinton Dormady now plays for the XFL.

Roast away, but in a vacuum, Hooker is no Dobbs. I love Hooker, and he fits wonderfully into CJH’s schemes, but Dobbs won games in spite of gosh-awful coaching. Hooker’s arm is better and much more polished, but Dobbs had zero offensive line and still made plays. I wasn’t around for Condredge, but Dobbs’s elusiveness was on par (based on the videos I’ve seen). In summary, I think more QB’s could fit with CJH’s game-plan. CBJ had no game-plan.

Not gonna roast. I love both guys but Dobbs was absolutely a gifted athlete who succeeded despite how Jones used him. He wasn’t the only athlete that was true of either. I think it’s a shame he didn’t get coached and utilized by someone like CJH.

That’s silly. A quarterback being developed doesn’t mean they will work out in the pros. It means they are made into better quarterbacks. Plenty of good QBs who succeed in college do not succeed in the pros.
That's not silly, qbs pick their teams hoping to be coached and developed for the next level, college is stepping stone for that player to make a living. If it doesn't help them at the next level what's the point?

He was nothing, but you can't say a qb is developed if they don't produce results at the next level. That's the entire point of cfb, develop players to succeed at the next level.

Does Heupel or his assistant coaches get paid on the basis of what their quarterbacks (or other players) do in the NFL?

Not gonna roast. I love both guys but Dobbs was absolutely a gifted athlete who succeeded despite how Jones used him. He wasn’t the only athlete that was true of either. I think it’s a shame he didn’t get coached and utilized by someone like CJH.
Dobbs was a freak, I remember an interview with opposing players saying how hard he was to grab ahold of and bring down, even when he was wrapped up he'd break free lol

Reactions: Stephen Gray
You really forget how unbelievable he was as a runner until you go back over highlights. And for me anyway, he was one of the most likable athletes in UT history. Just top notch.

That's not silly, qbs pick their teams hoping to be coached and developed for the next level, college is stepping stone for that player to make a living. If it doesn't help them at the next level what's the point?

Saying it didn’t help them succeed at the next level is an assumption on your part. The number of things that go into whether they will be successful are numerous. Drew Lock not succeeding in the pros doesn’t mean Heupel didn’t help him become a much better quarterback, and his lack of success at the next level says little about whether Heupel coached QBs can work in the pros. Especially in this day and age where spread guys are succeeding all the time, this notion that pro style offense QBs are better is outdated.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back