Is Hooker Huepel's Dobbs?

Saying it didn’t help them succeed at the next level is an assumption on your part. The number of things that go into whether they will be successful are numerous. Drew Lock not succeeding in the pros doesn’t mean Heupel didn’t help him become a much better quarterback, and his lack of success at the next level says little about whether Heupel coached QBs can work in the pros. Especially in this day and age where spread guys are succeeding all the time, this notion that pro style offense QBs are better is outdated.
I know, I completely misunderstood your point, I apologize.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
He was nothing, but you can't say a qb is developed if they don't produce results at the next level. That's the entire point of cfb, develop players to succeed at the next level.
A college coaches job is to WIN at this level. That's it. He has to develop his players to be successful at a high level at this level. That's all. H

He was nothing, but you can't say a qb is developed if they don't produce results at the next level. That's the entire point of cfb, develop players to succeed at the next level.
Not sure on that, a coaches No. 1 job anywhere is to win ballgames, it is understood that a quarterback who is being coached up properly would help the college team he is playing for and the skill set he is developing should help him at the next level but there is so much that goes into being a Pro Quarterback and winning, many Quarterbacks just end up in the wrong situation or wrong style offense and never thrive due to it, I dont think anyone would attribute Peyton Mannings success to Phil Fulmer nor should we attribute Heath Shuler's non success to him either.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
Dude Heupel has a history of developing quarterbacks and having potent offenses. Jones had none of that. Common sense should tell you Heupel is not nowhere near being a Butch Jones as your trying to insinuate. Heupel has proven what he can do with quarterbacks and play calling. He runs circles around Butch. I am through answering your question. Try a better one next time. GBO

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
Remember Drew Lock at Mizzou? That was Huepel. Delete this.

That's not silly, qbs pick their teams hoping to be coached and developed for the next level, college is stepping stone for that player to make a living. If it doesn't help them at the next level what's the point?
What is silly is even trying to compare Heupel and Jones in quarterback and offensive prowess. That is insanely silly. GBO!

Just look at Milton's improvement over last year. When he has come in the offense hasn't missed a beat and has kept on rolling. No comparison between the 2 coaches.

Considering Hooker wasn’t anything special until he was coached by CJH, ima say no lol

I have worries, but that is not one of them. One of my worries is that IF this works, then 4 years from now:
1. Everybody is running Heupel's offense.
2. People have decided how to properly defend against it and recruited accordingly
3. It has been decided that recruiting money is the only solution, and now the fans collectively of all schools are chipping in a billion dollars extra, but nobody gains an advantage from it, as recruiting from other planets is not yet available.
4. Tennessee Fans begin to 100% agree that 10 10-win seasons is the ceiling and is not acceptable.

Worry about the high cost of success.

Yeah, because all the other QBs under Heupel have been terrible.

Good Lord. :rolleyes:

Was Locke actually developed? Wasn't impressive at the next level, lasted a couple seasons before Denver moved on
Heath Shular, Tee Martin. I guess Cut never developed those guys. Developed means you get the best out of someone. It doesn’t mean those abilities will translate to the NFL. Dobbs hasn’t translated to the NFL either. The overwhelming majority of college QBs will not succeed in the NFL. That’s just a fact.

Would Dobbs have been as good or better had he gone elsewhere? Do you really think Jones or his "system" made Dobbs better or did Dobbs perform in spite of Jones? I am pretty sure where I stand on that and where I have stood since early on after Jones was hired.

Now ask yourself honestly. What kind of real options did Hooker have when he left VT? He agreed to play for Pruitt on what was already a very apparent sinking ship. If you have good options would you really sign on with what UT was doing on O under Pruitt? IMHO, Hooker would be viewed no better than and probably worse than JG right now if Heupel had not taken over.

Was Locke actually developed? Wasn't impressive at the next level, lasted a couple seasons before Denver moved on

Let's follow what you think is an indictment of Heupel. Lock was not good. Recognized as a talent but underperforming. Heupel comes in... he becomes one of the most prolific passers in the SEC. He moves on from Heupel and suddenly can't cut it again.

So yeah. Lock was good when he was with Heupel and not good when he wasn't. That question should answer itself for you.

That's not silly, qbs pick their teams hoping to be coached and developed for the next level, college is stepping stone for that player to make a living. If it doesn't help them at the next level what's the point?
Players choose schools for all kinds of reasons... not just getting to the next level. It would be really stupid to have that as the only or even primary reason since so few of them will get drafted much less have big careers in the NFL.

I cant get past all the alliteration in the thread title to answer the question.

All that runs through my head now is Hooker Heupels Dobbs as fast as I can say it.

Heath Shular, Tee Martin. I guess Cut never developed those guys. Developed means you get the best out of someone. It doesn’t mean those abilities will translate to the NFL. Dobbs hasn’t translated to the NFL either. The overwhelming majority of college QBs will not succeed in the NFL. That’s just a fact.
Tee’s mechanics regressed after Cut left in 1998.

Hooker’s production at VTech compared to playing under Josh Heupel, should answer your question.
Hooker will go down as a Vol great
(23 total games and 22 starts), Hooker threw for 6,080 passing yards, 58 passing touchdowns and five interceptions while adding 1,050 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns.

I think Heupel will have another great his system really helped Hooker and should always lead to a good QB coming to Tennessee. This is not comparable to the other coach.

VN Store

Back