Is Hooker Huepel's Dobbs?

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.

Possibly the worst thread of the week. CJH’s offense produced prior to Hooker. CBJ’s offense was horrific before Dobbs and bad to average early in Dobbs career

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
LOL

Hooker cannot be CJH's Dobbs!
Reason: Hooker was not recruited by CJH.
Jones did not even know it until De Borg got here.
How long did Dobbs sit on the Bench until Jones was forced to put him into a game.
Dobbs is like the Acorn that fell from the tree and hit Jones in the head.

He was nothing, but you can't say a qb is developed if they don't produce results at the next level. That's the entire point of cfb, develop players to succeed at the next level.
Yeah you can! So you’re saying Saban’s time at Bama was POINTLESS?

I know of eight million reasons why the answer is "NO".

Rico.jpg

What if Butch fell into another Dobbs would he still be here? I guess my view is doesn't every coach need a good q.b to make the offense go? Can a good q.b make any coach look good? I've heard this for years now about Butch.

I have worries, but that is not one of them. One of my worries is that IF this works, then 4 years from now:
1. Everybody is running Heupel's offense.
2. People have decided how to properly defend against it and recruited accordingly
3. It has been decided that recruiting money is the only solution, and now the fans collectively of all schools are chipping in a billion dollars extra, but nobody gains an advantage from it, as recruiting from other planets is not yet available.
4. Tennessee Fans begin to 100% agree that 10 10-win seasons is the ceiling and is not acceptable.

Worry about the high cost of success.
Dating back to the single wing, “running” an offense and flourishing are two different things. Errybody was running what The General operated in Knoxville…none were as good at implementing and executing it. Heupel ingrains it into his coaches and players until they’re thinking it as a second language. That ain’t easy to replicate by watching highlights on ESPN and that’s BEFORE you get started calling plays in game situations. We still haven’t seen that full playbook. Hooker’s been running a representative sample he learned from parts of two offseasons. For Milton it will be three, fwiw.

Hooker cannot be CJH's Dobbs!
Reason: Hooker was not recruited by CJH.
Jones did not even know it until De Borg got here.
How long did Dobbs sit on the Bench until Jones was forced to put him into a game.
Dobbs is like the Acorn that fell from the tree and hit Jones in the head.
Dobbs wasn’t ready his freshman season. That and his family’s wish for him to redshirt inspired Butch to park him his sophomore season after sacrificing the redshirt out of desperation the previous year. By mid-season he was beyond ready and we saw the results. If he had run out in Norman against Heupel’s Sooners we have no way of knowing for certain his career trek. There’s a huge sense of loss based on incomplete information. Dobbs clicked in time for the SC game. I choose to enjoy the results thereafter.

Pump the brakes. I never thought Butch Jones was "the next great coach". I always thought Dobbs was making him look good.

Full disclosure. I did defend Butch quite often, but only when he was winning. I am a firm believer in "all that matters is Ws". The last half of 2015 to the first half of 2016 was really good. Unfortunately that was the only good thing he did.

As for "Hooker being Heupel's Dobbs", I'll give you a flat no. Evidence is that Heupel has been good EVERYWHERE. Including his time at UCF, as an HC he teams have never been out of the top 10 in offense. He also had Mizzou in the top 10 a couple years as OC. So no, HELL no.

Having said that, Hooker is obviously a natural fit for Heupels offense, so there may well be a dropoff to Milton. Good news, we don't have to wait to find out.

I will be surprised if there is NOT a dropoff of some sort but the two cases are COMPLETELY different.

Dobbs made Jones look good. Heupel looks good whether Hooker is the QB or not.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Loved Josh Dobbs, but he never developed as a passer due to obvious reasons.

Dobbs' appeal was his will to win. I think this is a characteristic he and HH share. Both all time vol greats.

Yep. I lost my cool and went to name calling on this one. Apologies but sometimes I read something crazy enough to trigger me. This thread is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on VN in my time here. Finally get a competent coach that’s headed for a 10 win season and they want to say crap like this to sabotage him.

Agreed.

I think they need help across the secondary and LB to be honest though.

Gardner is capable of getting the most out of his DL guys and pulling in good recruits.

Agreed!

If you get enough DB's, oftentimes. a couple of them will grow into LB size players. Especially, big safety types.

Extremely important that the back seven on defense can truly run fast.

Heupel has had one of the best QBs in the nation whenever he has been. Landry Jones (OUs passing leader), Drew Lock (2nd in All time SEC passing yardage), Dillon Gabriel (threw for over 7k yards and 61 TDs in 2 years under Heupel). The guy has been a QB whisperer wherever he has been. Now he's going to have a 6th (?) Year Joe Milton and Nico to work with next year. I'm not worried about that at all.

I'm also not worried about him making changes. It felt like Kodi Burns was told to look elsewhere after Heupel didn't like the way the WRs looked last year, and they have certainly improved this year. I won't be shocked if we see that with Martinez or banks next year.

He was nothing, but you can't say a qb is developed if they don't produce results at the next level. That's the entire point of cfb, develop players to succeed at the next level.

This is one of the most stupid posts I've read here. I've said stupid things. Others have said stupid things. Few if any have compared to your claim in that post.

Note- I've been here for a VERY long time. I think my start date may have been reset when they made some administrative changes in 2006.

Heupel has had very successful QB’s everywhere he has coached. There may be a feeling out/learning period but he knows how to develop that position better than anyone.

Dobbs was great at making plays out of nothing. Hooker is great at reading defenses and throwing to wide-open guys. Big difference in the coaching/play-calling.

Yep. I lost my cool and went to name calling on this one. Apologies but sometimes I read something crazy enough to trigger me. This thread is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on VN in my time here. Finally get a competent coach that’s headed for a 10 win season and they want to say crap like this to sabotage him.

Just so you know, you aren't alone in that. I may well the king and emperor of cool losing as a matter of fact.

Heupel has had one of the best QBs in the nation whenever he has been. Landry Jones (OUs passing leader), Drew Lock (2nd in All time SEC passing yardage), Dillon Gabriel (threw for over 7k yards and 61 TDs in 2 years under Heupel). The guy has been a QB whisperer wherever he has been. Now he's going to have a 6th (?) Year Joe Milton and Nico to work with next year. I'm not worried about that at all.

I'm also not worried about him making changes. It felt like Kodi Burns was told to look elsewhere after Heupel didn't like the way the WRs looked last year, and they have certainly improved this year. I won't be shocked if we see that with Martinez or banks next year.

I agree with this. We will see how good of a CEO he is, making the tough decisions. This was Fulmer’s downfall. He had difficulty in replacing and improving assistant coaches. Majors was very good at replacing assistant coaches.

VN Store

Back