Is Donnie better than Bruce?

Nope! For me, personally, I was excited about Bruce because of the exciting wins we were able to get against teams that were favored to beat us.

Oklahoma State, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. etc. Until Donnie can get us some wins like that, I will not think that he is better than Bruce.

Also, Bruce did what he did with Buzz's players. He coached them the correct way and put them in the right positions to succeed. For instance, Buzz saw little use for Dane Bradshaw; however; Bruce used him as a utility player and got good results.

Reactions: 1 person
Nope! For me, personally, I was excited about Bruce because of the exciting wins we were able to get against teams that were favored to beat us.

Oklahoma State, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. etc. Until Donnie can get us some wins like that, I will not think that he is better than Bruce.

Also, Bruce did what he did with Buzz's players. He coached them the correct way and put them in the right positions to succeed. For instance, Buzz saw little use for Dane Bradshaw; however; Bruce used him as a utility player and got good results.

Who do you think inherited the better players this year.
Bruce pre season #8 or Donnie pre season #13 ??
I know Bruce was better than Buzz almost everyone was. Great man and everything but below average coach. That was then.

Since this is about auburn in a way,any suggestions of what we should get at the game to eat ? I had popcorn last time with the collectible ut bucket still have it.and the cup

If Donnie wins the SEC, takes TN to the Final 4, brings in 3 top 10 recruiting classes, escapes the NCAA without any show cause....then yes he will be considered a better coach than Pearl.

If not, then as long as the boys play hard and we stay competitive I will enjoy the CDT ride at UT.

Pearl's first team had one guy who ended out playing in the NBA (albeit after some time working his ass off) and arguably the best 3 point shooter in modern basketball history. (Lofton or Reddick, really, personal preference probably)

Tyndall Has probably a 2nd rounder in Richardson, and Hubbs SHOULD be an NBA guy, but that doesn't mean he will be, so those two are about a wash.

Talent wise, both teams were similarly bad/top heavy, just in different ways. I'd honestly take Richardson as a complete player in college over any of them.

Thing is... one has made the elite eight, and been close several times. Let's give Tyndall 5 years and see.

This is a reach; if Pearl needs an AD to explain to him that lying to the NCAA is bad, then Pearl is an idiot and no amount of kid gloves would help.

Really wasn't the point I was making. Point is, though I was trying to not come out and say it, Pearl was destined to get caught someday doing something. Big ego = everyone looking at you. He was like a baby bird, mommy, look at me, look at me...

I've seen Pearl outside of basketball with my own two eyes. I've been around the guy. Is he fun? Oh yea! Does he bend rules? Oh yea. I saw Pearl in public one time with some of the sexiest girls I've ever seen. The basketball team was there as well. Problem was, Pearl was drunker than homeless Bob who lives on the street corner in Nashville playing a guitar for money. Steven Pearl was annihilated as well, and Bobby Mazy rolled up in a black Benz... You starting to get my drift? Hamilton was a buffoon if he didn't think Pearl wasn't bending the rules. Everyone cheats, but not all cheaters have the persona of Pearl. When everyone is looking your way, you better portray a self-image of someone with class and integrity out in public. Pearl did not do that by any means...

Pearl brought in quite a number of 4-5 star players. Just off the top of my head I recall Duke Crews - 5 star , Wayne Chism 4-star, the Michigan 5-star guard Ramar Smith, Scotty Hopson 5-star, Tyler Smith 4-star via transfer, Tobias Harris - 5 star, J P Prince - 4 star, plus some others. Don't tell me Pearl wasn't a good recruiter. He's the best basketball recruiter we've ever had except for Stu Aberdeen !!!

J.P. Prince was also a tranfer like Tyler Smith. Yes Pearl did inherit some talent, but guys like Dane Bradshaw were not exactly MJ either. Not a knock on DB either; I love Dane.

Really wasn't the point I was making. Point is, though I was trying to not come out and say it, Pearl was destined to get caught someday doing something. Big ego = everyone looking at you. He was like a baby bird, mommy, look at me, look at me...

I've seen Pearl outside of basketball with my own two eyes. I've been around the guy. Is he fun? Oh yea! Does he bend rules? Oh yea. I saw Pearl in public one time with some of the sexiest girls I've ever seen. The basketball team was there as well. Problem was, Pearl was drunker than homeless Bob who lives on the street corner in Nashville playing a guitar for money. Steven Pearl was annihilated as well, and Bobby Mazy rolled up in a black Benz... You starting to get my drift? Hamilton was a buffoon if he didn't think Pearl wasn't bending the rules. Everyone cheats, but not all cheaters have the persona of Pearl. When everyone is looking your way, you better portray a self-image of someone with class and integrity out in public. Pearl did not do that by any means...

Probably right that Pearl was destined to get in trouble; I don't know if Hamilton didn't think it would happen here or if he thought Pearl had learned his lesson from his "blacklisting" but I guess it ended up being too good to be true long term.

Still, what happened to make it fall apart was stupid on so many levels and everyone involved.

I say they are both great coaches mainly because they get effort out of the players on their roster. Pearl put up some great numbers at Tennessee let's see what Donnie does in the next few years. Right now it looks like he will succeed but he hasn't been here long enough to compare with Pearl still his system is a winner already easy to see that after just 15 games.

Probably right that Pearl was destined to get in trouble; I don't know if Hamilton didn't think it would happen here or if he thought Pearl had learned his lesson from his "blacklisting" but I guess it ended up being too good to be true long term.

Still, what happened to make it fall apart was stupid on so many levels and everyone involved.

Totally agree. Telling your coach he's gone right before a NCAA game is as low ball a move as you could make as an AD. Then, to top it off, we followed the firing with the hiring of the most straight stick coach there is. Zo is a great, moral guy, but he was boring as h*ll to watch, outside the NCAA tournament. Polar extremes in terms of coaching style and personality. What we needed was a Zo/Pearl mix. Our coaching extremes between Zo vs Pearl was like being fully republican vs fully democratic, you need a little of both. A little perspective if you will...

Crazy I know but I am extremely impressed with this guy. He is working with very little talent and is winning big games. Bruce had a lot of talent his first year if I remember correctly so I pose this question: Is Donnie a better basketball coach than Pearl? Pearl is struggling with lesser talent at Auburn right now and donnie isn't excelling but man is he doing a damn good job. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this.

To early to tell. Hopefully! What I can say he's doing a heck of a lot better than Zo did! Imagine what Donnie could have done with Zo's roster last year!

Crazy I know but I am extremely impressed with this guy. He is working with very little talent and is winning big games. Bruce had a lot of talent his first year if I remember correctly so I pose this question: Is Donnie a better basketball coach than Pearl? Pearl is struggling with lesser talent at Auburn right now and donnie isn't excelling but man is he doing a damn good job. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this.

Bruce has the best BBQ's cookouts!:)

Let me know when Donnie the great gets us to the round of 8 or a number 1 ranking. Right now he has some of you guys sold, but until he starts recruiting someone besides less than mid major players, he hasn't done squat. Comparing resumes it's not even a fair fight.

Give him a little more than a month to recruit before you can make any sort of comment about his ability. Some coaches would have had trouble just getting warm bodies in that amount of time, little less players that contribute.

Reactions: 3 people

So, in a way, you wish he lied MORE in public?

Last edited:
dc_zps2f4ca374.gif

tumblr_mkrjf4C3oL1rj8nzio1_500.png

VN Store

Back