Is Donnie better than Bruce?

Pearl was not that great a recruiter. He was one hell of a motivator and salesman (selling the program)

I think Tyndall is the better "coach" in a traditional sense.

Pearl brought in quite a number of 4-5 star players. Just off the top of my head I recall Duke Crews - 5 star , Wayne Chism 4-star, the Michigan 5-star guard Ramar Smith, Scotty Hopson 5-star, Tyler Smith 4-star via transfer, Tobias Harris - 5 star, J P Prince - 4 star, plus some others. Don't tell me Pearl wasn't a good recruiter. He's the best basketball recruiter we've ever had except for Stu Aberdeen !!!

Reactions: 1 person
Pearl did it with smoke and mirrors...Donnie does it with preparation...it really isn't that hard to see if you know anything about coaching.

Reactions: 2 people
What a turn around from a shooting stand point. Last game they couldn't throw it in the ocean, this game lights out. GBO!! I hope they can keep it up, good luck guys! Good or bad we are behind the Big Orange and CDT!!

It just is so exciting to be involved with this team...... It truly is a never quit team..... If I don't have a heart attack first I am going to love the rest of the season.... Really proud of what's happening

Pearl got the Vols to the tourney 6 straight years on smoke and mirrors? Ok

You obviously missed my point...Pearl was a great snake oil salesman who was able to sell himself to his kids and our fan base...that is a key component to getting players to perform and fans to flock to you like a rock star...but even his biggest water carriers would admit at times his preparation was very flawed.

Actually, if we make the NCAA tournament, I never want to hear about Pearl again.

And I agree with everything you said.

At least Pearl didn't waste talent. It gets old always hearing about Pearl, but I also understand how special he was to us. My biggest problem is everyone bashing our fan base because we didn't want Zo here, well, today was a prime example of why we wanted him gone. You can sum it up three ways to Sunday, but at the end of the day, we had to play in a play-in game to get to the tournament last year with a stack loaded roster. If Tyndall had Stokes, Barton, and McRae on this current team, I promise you we would at the very least be 12-3 right now.

Reactions: 6 people
Bruce was a marketing genius, great motivator and more often than not got the best out of his guys. From what I've seen so far, CDT is a great motivator as well, gets the most out of the talent he has, and is a pretty darn good marketer as well. IMO, CDD has shown to be better at x's and o's. Here's hoping the NCAA investigation is alot about nothing. I think UT will excel under CDD if that cloud goes away.

Reactions: 7 people
I like that improvement is happening - both in game and from game to game. As young as this team is there will be bad nights but to learn from the bad games and come back improved is a sign of good coaching (regardless what Pearl has done or is doing). Will always appreciate Pearl (and Cuonzo) being part of our history but glad Tyndall is here.

At least Pearl didn't waste talent. It gets old always hearing about Pearl, but I also understand how special he was to us. My biggest problem is everyone bashing our fan base because we didn't want Zo here, well, today was a prime example of why we wanted him gone. You can sum it up three ways to Sunday, but at the end of the day, we had to play in a play-in game to get to the tournament last year with a stack loaded roster. If Tyndall had Stokes, Barton, and McRae on this current team, I promise you we would at the very least be 12-3 right now.

No, I totally agree with you, to the last word. I don't think Zo was ready for this gig, but not sure what his ceiling really was anyway. Hard to forget how ugly the last season began, and with a group of talented veterans.

I was Pearl's biggest fan until he dug himself a huge and unnecessary hole at our expense. Now I just want to move on.

Just way too early to tell. He has been nothing short of impressive given what he had to work with when he got here.

How would you have answered this question after last Saturday's game?
Pearl>CDT
Pearl> many D1 coaches
I hope Pearl loses every game at Auburn
I hope CDT wins every game at UT

No, I totally agree with you, to the last word. I don't think Zo was ready for this gig, but not sure what his ceiling really was anyway. Hard to forget how ugly the last season began, and with a group of talented veterans.

I was Pearl's biggest fan until he dug himself a huge and unnecessary hole at our expense. Now I just want to move on.

It'd be for the best for everyone to move on. Tyndall is a stud of a coach. I'll always love Pearl, and I hope he gets a standing ovation when he comes back to TBA, but once that ball tips off, he's just another opponent.

If Tyndall makes the tournament I'm streaking butt naked down Volunteer with a Power T painted on my chest.

It'd be for the best for everyone to move on. Tyndall is a stud of a coach. I'll always love Pearl, and I hope he gets a standing ovation when he comes back to TBA, but once that ball tips off, he's just another opponent.

Watch the NCAA send the notice of allegations the day before the Auburn game. Just watch.

Actually, if we make the NCAA tournament, I never want to hear about Pearl again.

And I agree with everything you said.

I feel this way regardless of what happens. You have to truly question a man's integrity when he lies in the face of the very people that he knew without a doubt knew the truth of the matter. It was kind of like a three year old lying about sneaking into the cookies when his mouth is covered in chocolate.

Last edited:
I'd be fine if I never heard about Pearl, Martin, Kiffin, or Dooley again.

And the only reason Pearl is in that group is because of the ones that can't move on about him.

VN Store

Back