Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

No, head coaches hiring their assistants is part of the job of running their program. It’s dumb to criticize Barnes over his assistant coaches.

I'm not criticizing. I'm saying he has done a good job in the past with certain assistants and when some of those assistants left maybe some of the chemistry left as well. Just trying to find the missing variable here.

I think Barnes is fine. We have all witnessed worse. In my lifetime he is second to Pearl as coach. He is a hall of fame coach. Will TN win the National championship with Barnes? No....but TN has never won the National championship with anyone. I just hope he can get them in the Final four one time!! I wish he would get some bigger post players. 6 '10 , 7 feet post scorers. Ok and Fulkerson are really to short and light. Plavsic is big enough and he is an ok player but not really a big scorer, more of a role player.

Reactions: feathersax
Lol, I’ve been trying to tell you all this for several e years. However, BTO and others want to try and convince you I am not a Vol fan because I have stated Barnes isn’t a good coach

These players aren't good.

Lose by 25+ in Rupp......then they'll turn around and maybe win at home. Good teams play both games close, maybe win both. If I'm Danny White.....I'm quietly starting to look around while putting Barnes on notice. He has better talent than what the outcome shows.

Reactions: Switch 625
Coach Barnes will retire from here unless we just fall apart. We'll be solid and win a good bit more than we lose. We'll win and lose games we shouldn't. But when he retires this will be an attractive job.

I think Barnes is fine. We have all witnessed worse. In my lifetime he is second to Pearl as coach. He is a hall of fame coach. Will TN win the National championship with Barnes? No....but TN has never won the National championship with anyone. I just hope he can get them in the Final four one time!! I wish he would get some bigger post players. 6 '10 , 7 feet post scorers. Ok and Fulkerson are really to short and light. Plavsic is big enough and he is an ok player but not really a big scorer, more of a role player.

Barnes has been to the 2nd weekend once in the last 13 years. Excuses are for the incompetent.

Who are you going to replace him with that’s an upgrade?

There are eleven active coaches with multiple Final Four appearances. Ten would not entertain an offer from Tennessee, and one is Ben Howland.

I agree with you 100% here. I'm very open to replacing Barnes, but it's kind of hard to name a coach that's an objective upgrade who'd also be interested in coming to Knoxville. If Wes Miller pulls a miracle and gets Cincinnati into the tournament this year and takes Cincinnati to the second weekend next year, I'd back up the Brinks truck for him but that's about all I can think of.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh

VN Store

Back