Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

DW extended Barnes’ contract through 2027.

Obviously he had to be satisfied with winning the SEC Tournament and getting a NCAA Tournament bid.

But to you, it isn’t a big deal?

Whose in the wrong here?
I don't even know what your point is. I didn't say for Barnes to be fired.

How can you say winning the SEC Tournament isn’t a big deal when it’s obviously a big deal to the players, coaches, and the administration?

Because it's not. It's only a big deal to them because they physically won it. It's completely different. It's not a fandom to them, it's a job.

The Timberwolves players celebrated winning the play-in like it was the NBA finals because they grinded all year to get to that point. NBA fans know that game doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but to them it does.

I just don't view the SECT in the grand scheme of things that big of a deal.
So you've never once complained about Barnes, nor any either Tennessee coach across the last 43 years, and their failure to win the SECT?

Sorry, but I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe.

So 90% of power 5 schools have this as their floor but only 42% in our conference actually achieved that?

Yeah and they all fired their coaches that didn’t make it.. making the tournament as a power 5 school is expected especially at a big brand like Tennessee .. it’s nothing to brag about

Yeah and they all fired their coaches that didn’t make it.. making the tournament as a power 5 school is expected especially at a big brand like Tennessee .. it’s nothing to brag about
29 teams in power 5 school made the tournament. Did 50% fire their coaches? Thats 42% of power 5 schools that made the tournament.

it's hilarious how opinions change. Before he won one it was a useless venture that should never have been forced on the SEC. He wins one. A monumental accomplishment . firs t in 40 years. Wait. It doesn't change or affect our seeding. we've been cheated. personally if you know you've made the tourney, I think you should be able to opt out of playing in it. Would probably have benefited us not to indulge this season and save the energy. But that's not how life works.
Nailed it, prior to winning it the nega Barnes were using SECT as evidence he couldn’t win a modern day tournament or using it against him for lack of postseason success, now he wins one and all of a sudden it doesn’t matter and it’s all about NCAAT lol. It will be the same song and dance if he makes it past the first weekend like folks are saying they want to see, it will then be gotta make E8. And same thing if/when he makes E8, it will be so what big deal, Bruce did it, should’ve made the Final Four.

So you've never once complained about Barnes, nor any either Tennessee coach across the last 43 years, and their failure to win the SECT?

Sorry, but I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe.
I’m don’t remember it being a big deal growing up. Barnes has been the HC since I’ve been an adult.

Nailed it, prior to winning it the nega Barnes were using SECT as evidence he couldn’t win a modern day tournament or using it against him for lack of postseason success, now he wins one and all of a sudden it doesn’t matter and it’s all about NCAAT lol. It will be the same song and dance if he makes it past the first weekend like folks are saying they want to see, it will then be gotta make E8. And same thing if/when he makes E8, it will be so what big deal, Bruce did it, should’ve made the Final Four.
It's about progressing and improving. Should we be satisfied if 10 years in he still has nothing but a SW16 to show for those 10 years. Oh yes and a SECT title. I don't think people who are expecting him to do more are asking for the moon. Do you?

Reactions: Big time vol
It's about progressing and improving. Should we be satisfied if 10 years in he still has nothing but a SW16 to show for those 10 years. Oh yes and a SECT title. I don't think people who are expecting him to do more are asking for the moon. Do you?

There are plenty on here that can't see this program ever getting any better, so they will tell you that yes we should always be satisfied even if it stagnates. "Anybody that has a criticism obviously wasn't around for Wade Houston" is their battle cry.

I do think the next step in the program needs to be getting to the 2nd weekend in March with some sort of regularity.

Im just a fan like yourself. I honestly don’t know anyone off the top of my head, but I believe that our AD is more then capable of finding someone. Just with all the hype surrounding baseball,football and even the lady vols basketball program looks to be doing good and trending up. While the mens basketball team is IMO going the opposite direction.
I say all that to ask you, who would you consider being a replacement? I mean barnes is getting to the end of his career so this discussion will come up eventually.
Yes it will. In about 3 to 4 years. Have to see what’s available then. Moot point to discuss it now. As stated earlier, I’m not going to debate about Barnes anymore. He’s here until he retires.

Reactions: SonOfGodVolforlife
There are plenty on here that can't see this program ever getting any better, so they will tell you that yes we should always be satisfied even if it stagnates. "Anybody that has a criticism obviously wasn't around for Wade Houston" is their battle cry.

I do think the next step in the program needs to be getting to the 2nd weekend in March with some sort of regularity.
March is a crapshoot most fans who understand basketball recognize that..

Reactions: TexasVFL
March is a crapshoot most fans who understand basketball recognize that..

Gonzaga has been 7 straight seasons. Michigan has been to 5 straight. What kind of voodoo are they doing to avoid the crapshoot?

For a program that has been a top 20 (at least) team for a good portion 4 of the last 5 seasons, you would think we would have survived the first weekend more than once. Not saying every single year, but better than 1 out of 4. Fans who don't make constant excuses for every shortcoming recognize that...

Again, don’t move the goal posts…the same ones a year ago b!tching about lack of postseason success were mentioning lack of SECT Championship as evidence he couldn’t get it done, he wins that and mysteriously that no longer matters.

Again, don’t move the goal posts…the same ones a year ago b!tching about lack of postseason success were mentioning lack of SECT Championship as evidence he couldn’t get it done, he wins that and mysteriously that no longer matters.[/QUOTE]
You don't know that. Better recruiting usually equates to better seasons especially if the analytics show it. At sometime it should result in longer runs in the tournament. The knock on Barnes by many at Texas was his Less with More reputation. surely fans here want to see him return to his first ten season at Texas form. Only the sheep and idiots would deny they want that.

VN Store

Back