Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

There's 0 reason to get attached and stan after coaches in collegiate sports. They don't even know who you are.

Barnes is only here because we were his best offer after he got fired.

TN has been to 24 NCAATs. Devoe (6), Green (4), and Pearl (6) have 16 of those appearances. Barnes has half (4) of the other 8 (Mears (3), Cuonzo (1)).

TN has only been in 8x Sweet 16s EVER.

TN has been ranked in the final AP poll 14x. Mears 4x. Devoe 1x. Green 2x. Pearl 4x. Barnes 3x.

TN has held the #1 AP ranking 2 times. Pearl for a week. Barnes for 4 weeks.

TN has been in 6 SECT championship games since 1979. Devoe 1x. Houston 1x. Pearl 1x. Barnes 3x.

The NCAAT is single elimination and seeding and matchups are critical. It is a made for TV event that doesn’t determine which team is the best. There is far more to NCAA basketball than the NCAAT except for drive by, low attention span “fans”.

BTW, Tony Vitello is 0-2 in CWS games. He figuratively walks on water.

TN has been to 24 NCAATs. Devoe (6), Green (4), and Pearl (6) have 16 of those appearances. Barnes has half (4) of the other 8 (Mears (3), Cuonzo (1)).

TN has only been in 8x Sweet 16s EVER.

TN has been ranked in the final AP poll 14x. Mears 4x. Devoe 1x. Green 2x. Pearl 4x. Barnes 3x.

TN has held the #1 AP ranking 2 times. Pearl for a week. Barnes for 4 weeks.

TN has been in 6 SECT championship games since 1979. Devoe 1x. Houston 1x. Pearl 1x. Barnes 3x.

The NCAAT is single elimination and seeding and matchups are critical. It is a made for TV event that doesn’t determine which team is the best. There is far more to NCAA basketball than the NCAAT except for drive by, low attention span “fans”.

BTW, Tony Vitello is 0-2 in CWS games. He figuratively walks on water.

Vitello is 40 and has only been here for less than half a decade. It's his first HC gig. Hasn't developed a reputation for choking come tourney time.

As was the SECT until he won one.

It’s absolutely hilarious how mad some people get that Barnes is our coach and that he needs to be replaced ASAP

LSU - McMahon
Missouri - Gates
Florida - Golden
Mississippi State - Jans
Georgia - White
South Carolina - Paris

I’d be so mad if we had hired any of these coaches yet some of you are ready to dump Barnes for this hall of fame list right here

He's only been once? Had a good chance going the year prior if it wasn't for covid.

Barnes had been to 6 NCAATs before his 44th birthday. The point that flew way over your head is that there is much more to each sport than the CWS and NCAAT. At least in baseball it isn’t single elimination.

How long until you turn on Vitello?

People are still stuck in the 2000’s. We aren’t some pushover anymore in basketball. It’s perfectly fine to have more expectations for Barnes.. the last 3 coaches all went to at least a S16. Barnes has to get over the hump, don’t want to retire here with the same tournament success as cuonzo

Yet with all that talent we know what’s gonna happen in tournament time. We won the championship but he probably should’ve won it multiple times with the talent he’s had.
I can say that bc we lost KC the only player on the team that’s capable of consistently beating his man off the dribble and creating for others. I don’t see anybody coming to save the day from recruiting or the transfer portal.. yea he won he the sec championship this year but that was the most talented team Barnes has had and he still got bounced the second round.. if you argue and say it wasn’t the most talented team since he’s been at Tennessee then you’re still saying he under performed with those teams as well.
You would that championship would give him momentum to land a top recruiting class.. but we’re like 50th in the country…
I would bet we don’t win 20 games this year and I guarantee we dont make it past the second round in the tournament.
The most sure bet in college basketball is that coach Barnes gets bounced in the tournament. No matter how talented his teams no matter the seeding it doesn’t matter with him.
That's a lot of words to not address the idea of our program is heading in the wrong direction.

You just used up that bandwidth to complain about Barnes in the NCAAT and to boldly predict that he'll do it again.

One season doesn't make a program and doesn't define the direction of a program. That is so short-sighted. You'd probably have wanted Hubert Davis fired in January if you were a Carolina fan, but now you'd be clung to his nuts so tight he'd sing soprano. Which direction is that program headed?

Cuonzo Martin won 3 games in an NCAAT with Tennessee, 8 years ago. Did he have the program headed in the right direction? Is he a better coach than Rick Barnes? Or is maybe there just a little more randomness involved in that sporting event than you're willing to admit because you're simply emotional about our recent result?

The SECT was fun but at the end of the day, who cares? We played a team that participated in the NIT to win it. I'd trade a SECT ring for an elite 8 any day of the week.
I'm certain 99% of our fans would. That isn't an earth-shattering proclamation.

But now you're going to cheapen our SECT title because we played an NIT team to win it? Sounds like the kind of person who'd have cheapened a S16 appearance because we only had to beat an 11-seed to get there, but is still angry that we didn't make a S16.

You've got to fair, man. As a supporter of Barnes and the current state of our program, I am willing to criticize our current recruiting and admit that we underachieved in the recent NCAA tournament. Why is it your immediate move to dismiss anything positive aa no big deal or irrelevant?

And another problem I have with this whole argument, don’t act like Barnes is the ONLY coach that demanded a raise or considered a better opportunity elsewhere.

At the end of the day, it’s all business.

Crying & whining over Barnes not “loving the University” is being shallow and a lame attempt to throw shade at the guy.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
Barnes had been to 6 NCAATs before his 44th birthday. The point that flew way over your head is that there is much more to each sport than the CWS and NCAAT. At least in baseball it isn’t single elimination.

So what changed for Barnes after 2008? Did the game change. did he forget how to coach when the NCAA meant something. I get your point. Now that the tournament is a worthless venture(because he can't make it to week 2) it doesn't matter if he can coach in it any more or not.

And another problem I have with this whole argument, don’t act like Barnes is the ONLY coach that demanded a raise or considered a better opportunity elsewhere.

At the end of the day, it’s all business.

Crying & whining over Barnes not “loving the Univerity, is being shallow and a lame attempt to throw shade at the guy.
Some whine over Barnes. Some whine over the Whiners. so we're all whiners.

I'm certain 99% of our fans would. That isn't an earth-shattering proclamation.

But now you're going to cheapen our SECT title because we played an NIT team to win it? Sounds like the kind of person who'd have cheapened a S16 appearance because we only had to beat an 11-seed to get there, but is still angry that we didn't make a S16.

You've got to fair, man. As a supporter of Barnes and the current state of our program, I am willing to criticize our current recruiting and admit that we underachieved in the recent NCAA tournament. Why is it your immediate move to dismiss anything positive aa no big deal or irrelevant?
I just don't view the SECT in the grand scheme of things that big of a deal.

If we had a young Barnes here and he had better opportunities Vitello had this past off-season, he likely would have left. He did the same @ Clemson and Providence. I respect him for wanting to stay and build something here. It would take a long time for me to turn on Vitello, tbh. My standards for baseball are also a lot lower.

Danny White thinks so.

Are you going to turn on him too?

Why would I? He came in and hired what seems to be a competent football coach. He convinced our baseball coach to stay and is building a monster. Our NIL program is quickly becoming one of the best in the country.

People are still stuck in the 2000’s. We aren’t some pushover anymore in basketball. It’s perfectly fine to have more expectations for Barnes.. the last 3 coaches all went to at least a S16. Barnes has to get over the hump, don’t want to retire here with the same tournament success as cuonzo

It's like people don't understand we're a national brand. We have a damn NBA sized arena. One of the biggest fanbases in the country. The $ to pay for nearly any coach that will listen. Top of the line facilities. Elite conference. It's not exactly hard to win here.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Why would I? He came in and hired what seems to be a competent football coach. He convinced our baseball coach to stay and is building a monster. Our NIL program is quickly becoming one of the best in the country.

DW extended Barnes’ contract through 2027.

Obviously he had to be satisfied with winning the SEC Tournament and getting a NCAA Tournament bid.

But to you, it isn’t a big deal?

Whose in the wrong here?

Reactions: Volflyfisher

VN Store

Back