Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I get what you're saying, but just making the tournament isn't good enough any more. At least for me it's not. This has been brought up a million times, but the second we started bringing in 5 star players and Barnes got the big raise and extension the expectations became much greater.
Making the tourney every year is the expectation, need to find ways to make runs whenever possible but making the dance is:

1. The expectation
2. Not a mediocre season

How can you honestly say that, though? What proof is there of this claim? The opposite direction of what? What standard?

He has 4 NCAAT appearances in 7 opportunities following a period in which we missed the NCAAT in 5 of 6 years. He has stabilized and improved the state and profile of the program. He just won the SECT for the first time in 43 years, this year. He's finished in the top 2 of the SEC in 3 of the last 5 years.

Kentucky, the gold standard for SEC basketball, and John Calipari has a worse record across the last 5 seasons (Calipari is116-48, Barnes is 119-46), and not a whole lot more postseason success.

How is that heading in the wrong direction?

Yet with all that talent we know what’s gonna happen in tournament time. We won the championship but he probably should’ve won it multiple times with the talent he’s had.
I can say that bc we lost KC the only player on the team that’s capable of consistently beating his man off the dribble and creating for others. I don’t see anybody coming to save the day from recruiting or the transfer portal.. yea he won he the sec championship this year but that was the most talented team Barnes has had and he still got bounced the second round.. if you argue and say it wasn’t the most talented team since he’s been at Tennessee then you’re still saying he under performed with those teams as well.
You would that championship would give him momentum to land a top recruiting class.. but we’re like 50th in the country…
I would bet we don’t win 20 games this year and I guarantee we dont make it past the second round in the tournament.
The most sure bet in college basketball is that coach Barnes gets bounced in the tournament. No matter how talented his teams no matter the seeding it doesn’t matter with him.

That doesn’t define your season or eliminate what you did prior or through 30+ games…such a foolish take.
That’s mediocre. We barely made the tournament. That’s mediocre. We got our ass beat by 20+ Vs Florida. We lost to the worst UK team in my lifetime at home. Mediocre. Our best win was against Kansas who were blown out in the first weekend of the tournament. It was a mediocre year.

That’s mediocre. We barely made the tournament. That’s mediocre. We got our ass beat by 20+ Vs Florida. We lost to the worst UK team in my lifetime at home. Mediocre. Our best win was against Kansas who were blown out in the first weekend of the tournament. It was a mediocre year.

You’re talking 2 years ago, got it…still don’t think it was mediocre season, but thought you were referring to this past season. Being a 5 seed means you’re Top 20, I disagree that is considered mediocre but the finish to that season definitely leaves a bad taste. If being a 5 seed is considered a mediocre season it means you’ve been elevated to one of the top programs in the country 🤷🏻‍♂️

I get what you're saying, but just making the tournament isn't good enough any more. At least for me it's not. This has been brought up a million times, but the second we started bringing in 5 star players and Barnes got the big raise and extension the expectations became much greater.
Who do you think set that standard for you?

It’s so easy to tell who wants Barnes to fail next year.

You guys ain’t fooling anyone.
Fail? We would however like to see him do better than a single SW16 in 14 seasons of coaching. 30 years experience and eighth year in? One would think those credentials would get him to a least week 2 of the tourney.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
You’re talking 2 years ago, got it…still don’t think it was mediocre season, but thought you were referring to this past season. Being a 5 seed means you’re Top 20, I disagree that is considered mediocre but the finish to that season definitely leaves a bad taste. If being a 5 seed is considered a mediocre season it means you’ve been elevated to one of the top programs in the country 🤷🏻‍♂️
We are a top program. Relative to our status, yea, 2020 was a mediocre season.

Fail? We would however like to see him do better than a single SW16 in 14 seasons of coaching. 30 years experience and eighth year in? One would think those credentials would get him to a least week 2 of the tourney.

Ahhh, yes.

Cause Tennessee has a rich history of reaching past the Sweet Sixteen, much less winning the whole damn thing.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
It’s so easy to tell who wants Barnes to fail next year.

You guys ain’t fooling anyone.

We're all here for UT to succeed. The difference is some of us don't blindly sheep for Barnes. He's here for a paycheck and to win games. At the end of the day he doesn't care about the university of Tennessee like we do. To him it's business. He nearly left us for a higher paycheck.

Ahhh, yes.

Cause Tennessee has a rich history of reaching past the Sweet Sixteen, much less winning the whole damn thing.
Now, talk about just a stupid take. Barnes shouldn't be expected to perform in the tournament cuz we a football school. Resident idiot take.

We're all here for UT to succeed. The difference is some of us don't blindly sheep for Barnes. He's here for a paycheck and to win games. At the end of the day he doesn't care about the university of Tennessee like we do. To him it's business. He nearly left us for a higher paycheck.

You just spoke for 90% of college coaches in the NCAA.

You really think our past coaches wouldn’t have left for a better job if the opportunity came? Lol

Reactions: Volflyfisher
He won the SEC Tournament that hasn’t been done in 40 years. Are you living under a rock?

The SECT was fun but at the end of the day, who cares? We played a team that participated in the NIT to win it. I'd trade a SECT ring for an elite 8 any day of the week.

Does winning the SECT Championship mean anything or no, since he’s now done it?
it's hilarious how opinions change. Before he won one it was a useless venture that should never have been forced on the SEC. He wins one. A monumental accomplishment . firs t in 40 years. Wait. It doesn't change or affect our seeding. we've been cheated. personally if you know you've made the tourney, I think you should be able to opt out of playing in it. Would probably have benefited us not to indulge this season and save the energy. But that's not how life works.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
You just spoke for 90% of college coaches in the NCAA.

You really think our past coaches wouldn’t have left for a better job if the opportunity came? Lol

Sure? I also didn't sheep for our past coaches. Coaches mean nothing to me- they're expendable. It's business.

VN Store

Back