Introducing the UT '07 Class

IMO Berry is a lock for UGA. He is probably looking at how weak the Dawgs running game has been this year (Lumpkin is avg. around 56 ypg) and the fact that they do not have any commit from an RB for the 2007 class. UT on the other hand has some good RBs on campus and 4 commits from RBs in the 2007 class already. The opportunity to play would probably come sooner at UGA. Add UGA's in-state recruiting prowess and IMO Berry is a pipe dream for the Vols.
Isn't Berry projected as a CB/WR. I think he would have an immediate impact at WR for us since we are losing Swain, Smith, and possibly Meachem. Can't see him playing RB in college.

When it comes to Berry, Garner scares me, if it were not for him I would say Berry is a VOL

You are probably correct but the Vols still won't get him, not from Georgia. If you think back to the big time recruits (meaning 5* rated prospects) that UT has landed in this decade, the Vols have not been super competitive in the south (see below). It's going to take more than one good season to turn the kids from up north and out west back towards the Vols. I think this year's class will be rated higher than last year's but it probably will not be a top 10 rated class.

5* prospects that UT signed 2002 to present:

James Banks Indianapolis, IN
Mondre Dickerson Coffeyville, KS
Brandon Jeffries Shelby, NC
Johnathan Mapu Hawaii
Gerald Riggs Chattanooga, TN

Robert Meachum Tulsa, OK

Jessee Mahelona Costa mesa, CA
Albert Toeaina San Fransisco, Ca

Demetrice Morley Miami, FL

Walter Fisher Coffeyville, KS

Brent Vinson Hampton, VA

The 5* from the 2002 class really had great careers at UT.
You have to assume that people get those rating for a reason and you have to go after them. If 5* ratings don't matter then why do we have some many threads/posts dedicated to the Donalds, Berrys and Kings?

you cant predict what kids will do once they get on campus, but rating are a good indicator of talent, I'd love to see a complete list of 5 star players from 2002-2003

you cant predict what kids will do once they get on campus, but rating are a good indicator of talent, I'd love to see a complete list of 5 star players from 2002-2003

Andy Goodenough 5* QB AzSt. dubbed by some as "bust of the decade" was in the 2002 class. There were some 5* guys from '02 who made it to the NFL, like Scott Young from BYU.

We haven't dug into the UGA borders much since Richt arrived, but, then again, we weren't going after the sons of former Vol captains either. No way Berry is a UGA lock. He won't play RB at UGA or UT. He may get some reps at RB but not play exclusively there. Both schools are recruiting him for offense and defense, but he actually questions if UGA intends on letting him play offense. On his last visit to UGA, they only allowed him to talk to defensive coaches. This upset him. He will play WR/RB/QB/CB/PR/KR for us(we are one of the few schools willing to give him a shot at some QB and he really wants that).

2002 Rank Pos Ht/Wt Schools

1 Vincent Young
Houston (TX) Madison QB 6-5/195 Texas

2 Haloti Ngata
Salt Lake City (UT) Highlands DT 6-5/310 Oregon

3 Lorenzo Booker
Ventura (CA) St. Bonaventure RB 5-11/178 Florida State

4 Ben Olson
Thousand Oaks (CA) QB 6-5/205 list

5 Reggie McNeal
Lufkin (TX) Lufkin ATH 6-2/210 Texas A&M

6 Chris Davis
St. Petersburg (FL) Catholic ATH 6-0/170 Florida State

7 Ryan Moore
Orlando (FL) Dr. Phillips WR 6-4/188 Miami-FL

8 Marcus Vick
Newport News (VA) Warwick QB 6-0/185 Virginia Tech

9 Leon Washington
Jacksonville (FL) Andrew Jackson DB 5-10/180 Florida State

10 Ciatrick Fason
Jacksonville (FL) Fletcher RB 6-1/210 Florida

11 Kai Parham
Virginia Beach (VA) Princess Anne DE 6-4/230 Virginia

12 Gerald Riggs Jr.
Chattanooga (TN) Red Bank RB 6-0/220 Tennessee

13 Rodrique Wright
Alief (TX) Hastings DT 6-5/330 Texas

14 Michael Johnson
Newport News (VA) Heritage RB 5-10/180 Virginia

15 Justin Blalock
Plano (TX) East OL 6-4/325 Texas

16 DiShon Platt
Punta Gorda (FL) Charlotte WR 6-0/170 Florida State

17 Ricardo Hurley
Greenwood (SC) LB 6-3/235 South Carolina

18 Nathan Rhodes
Bakersfield (CA) East OL 6-7/305 Washington

19 Brandon Jeffries
Shelby (NC) Crest OL 6-5/265 Tennessee

20 Trent Edwards
Los Gatos (CA) QB 6-4/190 Stanford

21 Deljuan Robinson
Hernando (MS) DE 6-4/288 Mississippi State

22 Jerious Norwood
Brandon (MS) RB 6-1/200 Mississippi State

23 Marquis Johnson
Champaign (IL) Centennial WR 6-3/190 Texas

24 Derek Morris
Huntersville (NC) North Mecklenburg OL 6-6/350 NC State

25 Darren Williams
Clarksdale (MS) DB 6-3/205 Mississippi State

26 Pat Watkins
Tallahassee (FL) Lincoln DB 6-4/190 Florida State

27 Ahmad Brooks
Woodbridge (VA) C.D. Hylton LB 6-3/230 Virginia

28 Devin Hester
Riviera Beach (FL) Suncoast DB 5-11/180 Miami-FL

29 Mike D'Andrea
Avon Lake (OH) LB 6-3/230 Ohio State

30 James Banks
Indianapolis (IN) Ben Davis QB 6-3/195 Tennessee

31 Zach Latimer
Aurora (CO) Gateway LB 6-4/215 Oklahoma

32 Ben Obomanu
Selma (AL) WR 6-2/182 Auburn

33 Gabriel Watson
Southfield (MI) DT 6-4/320 Michigan

34 Jonathan Mapu
Kahuku (HI) DE 6-3/265 Tennessee

35 Edorian McCullough
Garland (TX) North Garland DB 5-11/190 Texas

36 Marcedes Lewis
Long Beach (CA) Poly TE 6-6/233 UCLA

37 Maurice Clarett
Warren (OH) Harding RB 6-0/230 Ohio State

38 Bryan Pickryl
Jenks (OK) DE 6-6/225 Texas

VolunteerHillbilly, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But, you seem to be ignoring that recruiting is on an individual case by base scenario. So what about the poast success of getting recruits from UGA? In this individual case, Berry likes UT more. Bottom line. He is NOWHERE NEAR a lock to UGA. He is not even favoring them right now. If you can show me one interview or quote, or even action of any kind, that shows Berry having a preference of UGA over UT I would like to see it. He is from UGA, yes, but he is not a kid that is just going to go to UGA because of happens to live in that state.

And to echo an earlier comment, what in the world does RB depth have to do with Berry? He is not going to play RB. Our depth at CB and WR (the two most likely positions for him) look great for him.

Ummm, I'll work on a "where are they now" post.

As for Berry, he won't be a RB, but may play some at RB in certain situations.

I'd love to use him in some qb packages the way bama used to do w/ david palmer

we're counting on you for the "where are they now" since you're now the resident recruiting expert

Barksdale is out. He has named his 5 officials and UTK is not one of them. However, along with Marvin Austin being a possibility, we also had a 4-star JUCO DT on an official visit for the Alabama game.

Thats why it says "sign and place" by his name. I didnt think we were going to land him either. But, recently it looks like he has shifted from an LSU lean to a UTK lean.

VN Store

Back