Incoming transfers seem lessened.

I thought we knew the answer to this already? We don't have spots right now.

$$$$ Better NIL deals elsewhere.

The idea that we can't compete financially is crazy. People want to bring up the Bryce Young deal, but fail to realize him being a Heisman winner and future number 1 pick is the biggest reason for the money he's making. Not because he's at Alabama. He would make the same money at Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, etc.

All efforts by the administration are to irritate the fan base and drive traffic to the site because they are heavily invested with the Pooh bah = Freak

no spots to put anyone into. taking players that want to walk-on/ 3 gave up scholarships to walk-on
Other threads are saying we only have about 72 scholarship players (which would leave spots to sign more). Your info always seems accurate. So are we closer to 85 than others are suggesting?

Tough to speculate although I think it is rightful to at least hit the alarm bells a bit.

Not enough interest in program?
Self Imposing/Expectation of Penalty?
Coaches not versed enough in the Xfer portal?

It really could be any one or combination of factors. Sadly, we are going to have to let the dust settle a bit before we can pinpoint an answer.

We have a favorable schedule next year so just have to hope the NCAA is behind us by that point by the end of the year and then we may have substantial answers dependent on performance.
My guess is that we are simply getting outbid

Reactions: vettefool
Other threads are saying we only have about 72 scholarship players (which would leave spots to sign more). Your info always seems accurate. So are we closer to 85 than others are suggesting?

Tennessee is imposing scholarship reductions due to the investigation. They are currently sitting on 74 scholarships. They can't announce anything about penalties they impose until they submit their report to the NCAA. That leaves us to guess at the reductions in scholarships. The two things I've consistently been told the last 2 weeks is, they are doing reductions and they are full for the spring. I was hearing full when it looked like they were getting Neyor.

I just learned this week that the report has not been submitted to NCAA yet. A real surprise since they announced they were finished in November. Hope they are not waiting on new organization to be setup. That will likely be another year.

Tennessee's portal only works in one direction. They are hoping to have it fixed sometime after spring.
images

Tennessee is imposing scholarship reductions due to the investigation. They are currently sitting on 74 scholarships. They can't announce anything about penalties they impose until they submit their report to the NCAA. That leaves us to guess at the reductions in scholarships. The two things I've consistently been told the last 2 weeks is, they are doing reductions and they are full for the spring. I was hearing full when it looked like they were getting Neyor.

I just learned this week that the report has not been submitted to NCAA yet. A real surprise since they announced they were finished in November. Hope they are not waiting on new organization to be setup. That will likely be another year.
Thanks for the update

The idea that we can't compete financially is crazy. People want to bring up the Bryce Young deal, but fail to realize him being a Heisman winner and future number 1 pick is the biggest reason for the money he's making. Not because he's at Alabama. He would make the same money at Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, etc.
Young and Ewers had million dollar deals ready before they ever took a snap so there was (and in the case of Ewers is) A LOT of speculation about the "Heisman winner" and "# 1 pick." See Spencer Rattler.

NIL deals are being made with guys who are unproven at the college level and based on *s and HS film and scouting.

Is anyone making NIL deals for TN players taking that risk? Not that I've seen...... open to being shown, but not that I've seen.

It's just incorrect to say Young got his deal BECAUSE of his Heisman and pick status. That all came well after his big NIL deal.

Reactions: vettefool
The self-imposed reductions looks to be part of their negotiation strategy with the NCAA. By doing this up front we will be able to say to the NCAA we have worked in a collaborative environment by either having your individuals involved from the start or having our approach/actions sent over for your alignment. We can point to all the items we have implemented like cleaning house and now these proactive scholarship reductions. If they come back wanting more penalties, we can point to everything in this collaborative process making it more difficult for them to justify additional sanctions. When the point of finality has not arrived or cloudy at best, being proactive can yield the best results.

The self-imposed reductions looks to be part of their negotiation strategy with the NCAA. By doing this up front we will be able to say to the NCAA we have worked in a collaborative environment by either having your individuals involved from the start or having our approach/actions sent over for your alignment. We can point to all the items we have implemented like cleaning house and now these proactive scholarship reductions. If they come back wanting more penalties, we can point to everything in this collaborative process making it more difficult for them to justify additional sanctions. When the point of finality has not arrived or cloudy at best, being proactive can yield the best results.
I agree we're probably reducing scholarships voluntarily.

What I dislike is the NCAA not announcing their decision because that would let White/Heupel openly say "We did this in good faith to penalize ourselves." Right now, I don't think they can make that kind of comment.

This leaves some fans thinking: "Heupel can't recruit. Look, we're not signing very many people. We're doomed. He can't do the job in the SEC....."

I don't think we've seen, yet, what Heupel can do on the recruiting trail without the NCAA around his neck.

Can he recruit? I don't know. Will we have to wait to see? We will...... or replace him as "not the guy" because Pruitt left his recruiting chances crippled.

Patience is a virtue. (Like anyone on VN still has their virtue.)

What is this "transfer portal" of which the OP speaks?

It's kinda like that Guardian of Forever thing from that "Star Trek" episodewith Joan Collins. You go through it, and end up somewhere else. But sometimes? You should have gotten the Hell outta there.

I agree we're probably reducing scholarships voluntarily.

What I dislike is the NCAA not announcing their decision because that would let White/Heupel openly say "We did this in good faith to penalize ourselves." Right now, I don't think they can make that kind of comment.

This leaves some fans thinking: "Heupel can't recruit. Look, we're not signing very many people. We're doomed. He can't do the job in the SEC....."

I don't think we've seen, yet, what Heupel can do on the recruiting trail without the NCAA around his neck.

Can he recruit? I don't know. Will we have to wait to see? We will...... or replace him as "not the guy" because Pruitt left his recruiting chances crippled.

Patience is a virtue. (Like anyone on VN still has their virtue.)

the NCAA cannot announce any type decision without the report being given to them by Tennessee. They have to review all the details and see if they have questions about anything.. its a long way to a decision from NCAA.

the NCAA cannot announce any type decision without the report being given to them by Tennessee. They have to review all the details and see if they have questions about anything.. its a long way to a decision from NCAA.
I saw your post that UT hasn't delivered their report to the NCAA despite having finished it. That seems strange considering White insisting we are fully cooperating, keeping the NCAA informed of our progress, and eager to put this investigation behind us.

Obviously Danny White and the UT admins have much better insight and legal advice into how to handle this so I'll sit...... as patient as a 4yo waiting to be given a new puppy.

I saw your post that UT hasn't delivered their report to the NCAA despite having finished it. That seems strange considering White insisting we are fully cooperating, keeping the NCAA informed of our progress, and eager to put this investigation behind us.

Obviously Danny White and the UT admins have much better insight and legal advice into how to handle this so I'll sit...... as patient as a 4yo waiting to be given a new puppy.

Not sure about that. I get the feeling they are going to wait on the new over site organization to be established. The new D-1 constitution is supposed to be finished by the end of August. Of course that is step one. Then an over site organization will need to be created by the Presidents of the D-1 schools. I'm spit balling but can't see any other explanation for Tennessee to be sitting on the findings. It will be 3 months since they announced completion of investigation next week.

I think it could easily be 1 to 2 years before the D-1 organization is put in place and functioning.

UT has frankly said very little about what they have done the last 13 months. You about covered what they have said in your comment I quoted.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Why in Haiti haven’t we turned it into the NCAA then if the investigation was completed in November????We are at the end of January. Just makes no sense. GBO

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back