IMO this will be Butch's last game

I understand what you are saying, but at least for me, beating KY and Vandy will never win me back (as fra as the coach is concerned.....I will always love the Vols). Butch has to beat Ga, Fla, and a west team consistently, beat Bama sometimes, and beat SC, MO, KY and Vandy almost all the time......to win me back.

Vandy and Kentucky should not be considered in evaluation. Unless we lose to them. You should get to lose one game every 15 years to those 2 teams. 2 and you're fired.

I wonder if all this anxiety is over the umass performance or the Florida loss. We played terrible against umass but I think most of us realize those games happen sometime sandwiched between rival games. We will play much better against Georgia and have the talent to win the game. After that could possibly be favored in every game besides Bama. Kentucky just lost at home, vandy by 59, s car wins by 1point over a bad team, and lsu isn't dominating either. I agree it's been a tough start but let's not burn the house down quite yet.

Vandy and Kentucky should not be considered in evaluation. Unless we lose to them. You should get to lose one game every 15 years to those 2 teams. 2 and you're fired.

I completely agree......and I think that is pretty much what I said.

I wonder if all this anxiety is over the umass performance or the Florida loss. We played terrible against umass but I think most of us realize those games happen sometime sandwiched between rival games. We will play much better against Georgia and have the talent to win the game. After that could possibly be favored in every game besides Bama. Kentucky just lost at home, vandy by 59, s car wins by 1point over a bad team, and lsu isn't dominating either. I agree it's been a tough start but let's not burn the house down quite yet.

For me this is all from 2016 and now. Yes I know we had tons of injuries last year, but with the talent we had.........one loss should have been it. Tennessee should have been 11-1.......then to lose to A&M, Bama, and then SC.....wow that was about it for me.........but hold on we later played a 5-6 Vandy team and LOST (with all of that talent).

Tennessee then goes in and Beats a very lack luster team in a bowl, and most is forgiven for a lot of people (but we had enough talent to beat that team on a daily basis).

Then we start up the season just as if the coaches didn't learn from 2016......they gave up what 900 yards on the ground to Tech (not like we had all off season to get the run shored up.....not like everyone didn't know who we were playing week 1).

Ok so we move on to Fla......and yep just as expected Fla looked bad....for me they looked real bad (but wouldn't you know it....they sure were coached up). And several ......many bad coaching decisions later Tennessee lost (got to give credit to many players, as Kelly and others kept Tennessee in the game and gave Tennessee an opportunity to win). Why not be in some type of prevent that last play? heck give them 15-30 yards....just don't give them +30 and it goes to overtime.

Now to the Umass game.....really we should not even be talking about this.

No he doesn't, he just needs to have his team prepared, not make the same mistakes over and over, develop talent, and put his guys in the best position to win. The wins will come if we get a coach that can do those three things the overwhelming majority of the time.

Is it outlandish to ask for a well prepared football team? Fans can accept losses of the team looks competent. I don't understand why some don't see how lost the football team looks and why that will change after 5yrs?

Oklahoma, uf 2013,2014,2017, USC 2016, vandy 2013, 2016, Appalachain State 2016, unass 2017, g tech 2017, Arkansas 2015. Not calling for his head but people aren't upset about 1 or 2 games, it's cumulative.

If Butch is not the guy you have to preserve the house he has done a pretty good job rebuilding before he accidently brings it down himself.

For me this is all from 2016 and now. Yes I know we had tons of injuries last year, but with the talent we had.........one loss should have been it. Tennessee should have been 11-1.......then to lose to A&M, Bama, and then SC.....wow that was about it for me.........but hold on we later played a 5-6 Vandy team and LOST (with all of that talent).

Tennessee then goes in and Beats a very lack luster team in a bowl, and most is forgiven for a lot of people (but we had enough talent to beat that team on a daily basis).

Then we start up the season just as if the coaches didn't learn from 2016......they gave up what 900 yards on the ground to Tech (not like we had all off season to get the run shored up.....not like everyone didn't know who we were playing week 1).

Ok so we move on to Fla......and yep just as expected Fla looked bad....for me they looked real bad (but wouldn't you know it....they sure were coached up). And several ......many bad coaching decisions later Tennessee lost (got to give credit to many players, as Kelly and others kept Tennessee in the game and gave Tennessee an opportunity to win). Why not be in some type of prevent that last play? heck give them 15-30 yards....just don't give them +30 and it goes to overtime.

Now to the Umass game.....really we should not even be talking about this.

Hey I understand. It's been frustrating. Last years defense and pretty much everything this year. I'm just saying everyone seems to have thrown in the towel already. We still have a chance. I think we have the talent offensively Not sure our Lb core can handle Chubb and company, but hoping Austin smith may be back and help there. If we get a few breaks Saturday we may still have a great year.

Hey I understand. It's been frustrating. Last years defense and pretty much everything this year. I'm just saying everyone seems to have thrown in the towel already. We still have a chance. I think we have the talent offensively Not sure our Lb core can handle Chubb and company, but hoping Austin smith may be back and help there. If we get a few breaks Saturday we may still have a great year.

I certainly agree with you there. I think MO & S Miss should be wins.....I think Tennessee can beat SC, KY, and Vandy (not saying they will, but they can).....that would give us 8-4, but I really see 7-5 this season.

This next game will tell us a lot of what we need to know.

I certainly agree with you there. I think MO & S Miss should be wins.....I think Tennessee can beat SC, KY, and Vandy (not saying they will, but they can).....that would give us 8-4, but I really see 7-5 this season.

I predicted a split on the UGA & USCe. Loss 1 of 3 Vandy, Ky, Mizzou. LSU maybe a coin flip. 7-5, 8-4. Yawn. This is Butch. Doubt Currie wants to hitch his wagon to a new coach in 1. So Butch gets 2018, unless he goes 5-7. We'll miss out on the Chip Kelly sweepstakes. Mired in mediocrity.

I predicted a split on the UGA & USCe. Loss 1 of 3 Vandy, Ky, Mizzou. LSU maybe a coin flip. 7-5, 8-4. Yawn. This is Butch. Doubt Currie wants to hitch his wagon to a new coach in 1. So Butch gets 2018, unless he goes 5-7. We'll miss out on the Chip Kelly sweepstakes. Mired in mediocrity.

That very well may happen. My main prob is if Tennessee finishes 7-5, and even next year things do not go well, and the talent is not being developed.......we could find ourselves right back at 2008-13, and not able to land a top notch coach.

I talk a lot of Butch crap, but I am really proud of how the program has been built (and I know we owe Butch for a lot of that); however sometimes you have to move on for the best of all parties involved. Butch does not have to die here (coaching career) and Tennessee does not have to slip back to a dumpster fire......and I hope those things do not happen.

Has a Power 5 school ever fired their head football coach and their women's head basketball coach in the same year? I'm just getting an early start on the fire Holly Warlick now threads that are surely to come shortly.
BTW...I'm in favor of Holly getting axed as well.

I'm sure our administration will wait until the talent drops off to try and recruit a warm body. Much easier to find a coach now that Butch has some talent here. Butch has Championship talent here, but he skates by UMASS.

I wanted Butch gone after Florida and UMASS was just confirmation. If we look horrible against Georgia, I will be done until next year. I know... bye Felicia, but no point in watching if they aren't entertaining. I was bored to death watching us vs UMASS.

Man you guys are gonna be pissed because he is here until the end of the season and more than likely 2018 as well.

Man you guys are gonna be pissed because he is here until the end of the season and more than likely 2018 as well.

Currie wants his own coach in there. As most AD's do.

He's letting Butch hang himself.

Writing was on the wall when he didn't extend Butch or give him a raise, and then Butch hired Sexton.

Obvious as daylight what's going on.

Reactions: 2 people
Currie wants his own coach in there. As most AD's do.

He's letting Butch hang himself.

Writing was on the wall when he didn't extend Butch or give him a raise, and then Butch hired Sexton.

Obvious as daylight what's going on.

and this thread is about Butch being gone now and all I'm say is that is not going to happen...

Reactions: 1 person
No way. We are 3-1. Butch doesn't get fired with a winning record. Georgia looks good. You don't get fired for losing to a team you're supposed to lose to... Some fans expectations this year were just ridiculous. We lost A LOT of playmakers. Dobbs in particular. It was never gonna be a great year. He might MIGHT be fired at the end of the season with a bad finish, but more than likely, he isn't going anywhere

Unless he totally loses the locker room, some rumbling about that, i can't see what benefit it has other than get your name out there first. Problem is we still have the same brain trust that brought us Dooley and now Jones. Not sure they will do anything other than disappoint..

No way. We are 3-1. Butch doesn't get fired with a winning record. Georgia looks good. You don't get fired for losing to a team you're supposed to lose to... Some fans expectations this year were just ridiculous. We lost A LOT of playmakers. Dobbs in particular. It was never gonna be a great year. He might MIGHT be fired at the end of the season with a bad finish, but more than likely, he isn't going anywhere

And herein lies my issue with the Butch apologists and those who think all is well on the Hill. We are not "supposed" to lose to UGA. In Year 5. At home. Against a 2nd year head coach at UGA.

Butch has had 5 years to get his players, coaches, and system in place and functioning. Kirby is in Year 2. Having watched both teams play this year, it's not even close as to who has done a better job.

No, you don't get fired for losing to a team you're supposed to lose to. You get fired for losing to teams you should have beaten.

Go Vols.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Butch pulled a miracle and the team comes out on fire, tbh.

tenor.gif

GBO!!

Last edited:
I believe this Georgia game will be Butch's last game.

Georgia will beat us by about 30, and we have a bye week following the game. It's a perfect opportunity to get the interim coach in place.

People think we will wait until the end of the year, but we didn't do that for Dooley. If we lose to Georgia, we may as well scrap the season and get a big name coach in here who can't mess this up.

if you fire a coach it'd be the time to do it, give the interim 2 weeks to get something going for the next game.

I wonder if all of this drama that is starting to leak out of the locker room is orchestrated to start building a case to potentially fire Butch mid season. Just speculations but there is a dumpster fire happening. No speculating that.

VN Store

Back