I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

Fleck? LOL. Whats he done? Get real. Brohm lost by 18 to Harbaugh. Michigan held Purdue to 189 yards. Stop acting like guys like Brohm and Fleck are big time coaches. They aren't. Not saying they aren't good coaches. But based on their accomplishments, neither has done anything to earn a look from Tennessee.

I didn't say he was "big time" yet. I'm just not saying he isn't.

Tennessee is in no position to take chances on those type of caliber coaches.

Proven HC that’s won at a high level or bust.

so kelly, stoops or gruden? i don't think any of the three will be roaming the sidelines at Neyland any time soon.

so kelly, stoops or gruden? i don't think any of the three will be roaming the sidelines at Neyland any time soon.

Maybe or maybe not but Currie has to give them a call and make an offer they can’t refuse. The worst they can say is no.

You won’t know if you don’t try. I mean at this point, do we really want to take more chances on these “up & comers”? When we’re in position right now to hire a proven high quality coach. We have talented players on our roster already.

The $$$ is there. It’s all about our Administration paying it.

Fleck? LOL. Whats he done? Get real. Brohm lost by 18 to Harbaugh. Michigan held Purdue to 189 yards. Stop acting like guys like Brohm and Fleck are big time coaches. They aren't. Not saying they aren't good coaches. But based on their accomplishments, neither has done anything to earn a look from Tennessee.

It's his first year at a program that is one of the worst power 5 programs in the country. If Tennessee plays Michigan right now, it's out of hand by the 2 quarter. At least Purdue was in it til the 4th. Brohm is a great coach and I think he would do well here, but he could flop terribly too. It's a high risk hire which is why he is a 4th,5th, or 6th option

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe or maybe not but Currie has to give them a call and make an offer they can’t refuse. The worst they can say is no.

You won’t know if you don’t try. I mean at this point, do we really want to take more chances on these “up & comers”? When we’re in position right now to hire a proven high quality coach. We have talented players on our roster already.

The $$$ is there. It’s all about our Administration paying it.

sure you ask. i agree. but just throwing money at it doesn't solve it. there's legitimate baggage with all three of those guys, that really may not make it worth the money it would take to get any of them to coach here. the risk/reward is out of whack...

doesn't mean you have to be risk averse in your decision making either.

it's an inexact science, and while the names sound good, and would have a positive perception associated with the hire....there's nothing that says whatever success they had elsewhere is going to be replicated here. there's more to it than the name, and the paycheck.

bob stoops was a DC before he took the OU job, not a proven HC.

Kirby Smart...same deal.

Jimbo Fisher, same deal.

Dabo Sweeny...same deal.

Will Muschamp, 1st time around at FL, same deal, but with different results than the others mentioned.

Nick Saban, proven head coach at the highest level, no brainer in hind sight, but do you remember the amount of skepticism that existed at the time he took the Bama job?

Bielema at ARK was a no brainer on paper as well, won an an exceptional level in the Big 10, it hasn't translated at all at ARK.

Malzahn at Auburn has meandered at every level of coaching the last 12 years, and still isn't on completely solid footing.

all i'm saying is, for everyone putting/pulling all their chips on this or that coach.....there's legit examples that support and refute why they would, or wouldn't, be successful.

that said, it's more rare for the successful top tier p5 head coach to move from one top job to another, and replicate the same success. it USUALLY requires a step up from 2nd tier, to 1st tier....a la a mack brown UNC>TX or James Franklin Vandy>PSU or Miles Ok St>LSU or SPurrier Duke > UF or Meyer Utah>FL or Saban mich st> LSU.... and even then that's not a guarantee...Rich Rod WVU>Michigan...total failure, because it just wasn't a good fit, and likely an over reaction to what Lloyd Carr was, vs. was Rich Rod the 'right' guy.

two that have done it...Saban and Meyer.

and that's basically it.

that said, it's more rare for the successful top tier p5 head coach to move from one top job to another, and replicate the same success. it USUALLY requires a step up from 2nd tier, to 1st tier....a la a mack brown UNC>TX or James Franklin Vandy>PSU or Miles Ok St>LSU or SPurrier Duke > UF or Meyer Utah>FL or Saban mich st> LSU.... and even then that's not a guarantee...Rich Rod WVU>Michigan...total failure, because it just wasn't a good fit, and likely an over reaction to what Lloyd Carr was, vs. was Rich Rod the 'right' guy.

two that have done it...Saban and Meyer.

and that's basically it.

Dan Devine
Wallace Wade
Mack Brown
Steve Spurrier
Lou Holtz (NC ST and ND)
Bobby Bowden
Chris Peterson
Paul Bear Bryant
Meyer
Saban

These are just a few coaches who had success at different schools. The best coaches who switch schools usually have success. Sure many decent to good coaches don't..........but the great ones usually do. Also you can find more up and coming coaches (those DC's/OC's and non power 5 coaches) who have flamed out than those who became a great head coach. Sure many (if not most) of the great coaches started somewhere (other than where they became great) and were not HC's; however it is certainly easier to land a great coach, who is already one than land someone else and hope they become a great coach.

Dan Devine
Wallace Wade

Mack Brown
Steve Spurrier
Lou Holtz (NC ST and ND)
Bobby Bowden

Chris Peterson
Paul Bear Bryant
Meyer
Saban

These are just a few coaches who had success at different schools. The best coaches who switch schools usually have success. Sure many decent to good coaches don't..........but the great ones usually do. Also you can find more up and coming coaches (those DC's/OC's and non power 5 coaches) who have flamed out than those who became a great head coach. Sure many (if not most) of the great coaches started somewhere (other than where they became great) and were not HC's; however it is certainly easier to land a great coach, who is already one than land someone else and hope they become a great coach.

you're kinda going back in the way back machine on some of those names.

i alluded to Mack and Spurrier in my email, and neither of them went from top tier program winning conf and national titles to another top tier program and repeated, or got better, at the next stop.

and Peterson? he's the definition of mid major success>power 5 success. he didn't go from USCw and win conf/national titles and go to Michigan and do it.

he has come the closest to doing what Meyer did going from utah to Florida.

and again, kinda goes back to my whole point...USUALLY it's 2nd tier/mid major to top tier power 5.

as to your last paragraph, i agree. there's examples of good and bad on both sides of that fence, which is why it's an inexact science, and there is no formula that says "doing this will always = this result".

Last edited:
you're kinda going back in the way back machine on some of those names.

i alluded to Mack and Spurrier in my email, and neither of them went from top tier program winning conf and national titles to another top tier program and repeated, or got better, at the next stop.

and Peterson? he's the definition of mid major success>power 5 success. he didn't go from USCw and win conf/national titles and go to Michigan and do it.

he has come the closest to doing what Meyer did going from utah to Florida.

and again, kinda goes back to my whole point...USUALLY it's 2nd tier/mid major to top tier power 5.

as to your last paragraph, i agree. there's examples of good and bad on both sides of that fence, which is why it's an inexact science, and there is no formula that says "doing this will always = this result".

Spurrier took SC to places they had never been before, he is the most successful coach in SC history.

Sure Mack wasn't winning championships at NC but he was thought of as one of the top coaching hires for 97/98. he got NC to back to back 10+ seasons, something they had not seen over the past 15 years.

I agree Peterson came from a mid major, but he got the team to power levels, one that has not been reached since he left by any mid level school.......from 2009-13 BS was not even thought of as an up and coming school........they were there.

Also right now there are zero mid level guys that have shown to be great over many years. Sure there are some, and Tennessee could take a chance and it could work out big time.......but the chances are slim. It would be very difficult to find the "next guy" when everyone has maybe 2 or 3 great seasons under their belt. The OC and DC guys could certainly work, but again it is a big "could." The SEC alone has tried many of them and most have not worked out.

All I am saying is there are some coaches out there who would be a sure fire catch. Coaches that would at least get Tennessee to 10 wins or better and have them in the East some times. I would much rather see Tennessee fork out more $ and take less of a chance. Sure some of the may not come, but I think most would depending on the contract. Does Tennessee want to turn into SC or does Tennessee at least want to try and turn into Bama.........................it is all about cash.

Spurrier took SC to places they had never been before, he is the most successful coach in SC history.
agree, but he didn't come close to doing what he did at FL, to what he did at USCe. and that's not what we're after is it? 2nd rate version of what the guy USED to be????

Sure Mack wasn't winning championships at NC but he was thought of as one of the top coaching hires for 97/98. he got NC to back to back 10+ seasons, something they had not seen over the past 15 years.
UNC is a 2nd tier p5 program, and he took them to a top 10 ranking. he parleyed that in to a conf title and national title an top tier power 5 program at TX. 2nd tier>top tier progression.

I agree Peterson came from a mid major, but he got the team to power levels, one that has not been reached since he left by any mid level school.......from 2009-13 BS was not even thought of as an up and coming school........they were there.
and Peterson turned down opportunities to leave because he knew what was, and wasn't, a good fit for him, and probably the program trying to get him to come over. but either way, it's still mid major>top tier type progression.

Also right now there are zero mid level guys that have shown to be great over many years. Sure there are some, and Tennessee could take a chance and it could work out big time.......but the chances are slim. It would be very difficult to find the "next guy" when everyone has maybe 2 or 3 great seasons under their belt. The OC and DC guys could certainly work, but again it is a big "could." The SEC alone has tried many of them and most have not worked out.
agree with all of this, but reference my post earlier about the turnover at the head coach positions across the country. the days of a chris peterson or urban meyer or even a mack brown being at that 2nd tier or mid major for 5+ years are over for now. same for the coordinators. (post 139, page 10). the bonafide resumes are not there, and those that do have them aren't going anywhere.

All I am saying is there are some coaches out there who would be a sure fire catch. Coaches that would at least get Tennessee to 10 wins or better and have them in the East some times. I would much rather see Tennessee fork out more $ and take less of a chance. Sure some of the may not come, but I think most would depending on the contract. Does Tennessee want to turn into SC or does Tennessee at least want to try and turn into Bama.........................it is all about cash.
yes, there are. they just aren't going to be as easy to spot, as they used to be. and forking out more money, doesn't lessen the risk. and just spending the cash doesn't plainly= championships. ask Arkansas. or Michigan. or Texas. or aTm.

if you go look at the top salaries of head coaches in 2017 there's a gaggle of guys making between 3.5 and 4.5 million a year, including Dabo Sweeny....but Gus Malzahn and Kevin Sumlin are making more than him????

i'm not saying don't ask. i'm not saying don't offer. i am saying, just unlocking the safe doesn't mean it's "going to happen". and knowing what we know about the current landscape of the head coaching profession, there are really good coaches out there, really good coordinators out there ready to be head coaches, that you can get, and get the desired results.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...17-105855614&usg=AOvVaw1SZQXg3GRJhF8mSHGgz9sq

Last edited:
i guess what i'm seeing in here some is this notion that the only way we can be successful is if we go out and hire a coach that has a proven resume, a la Kelly, Stoops type.

there just aren't that many of those out there, that are going to leave, or that are available...the list of guys you're really talking about are of the ilk of Saban, Meyer, Fisher etc....

there just aren't that many of them. and throwing a dump truck of cash at kelly or Gruden doesn't just mean we're next.

now, if you want to say that Jimbo Fisher is our guy. James Franklin or Nick Saban for that matter is our guy, and we're not settling for less...that's one thing.

but that's not happening. and that's where i'm operating from. do i want a saban, meyer, fisher, franklin, stoops? heck yeah. go get one of those guys, i'm for it. i'm definitely more for that, than i would be doing it for a kelly or gruden.

it just isn't happening. that's all...lol.

i'm not saying don't ask. i'm not saying don't offer. i am saying, just unlocking the safe doesn't mean it's "going to happen". and knowing what we know about the current landscape of the head coaching profession, there are really good coaches out there, really good coordinators out there ready to be head coaches, that you can get, and get the desired results.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...17-105855614&usg=AOvVaw1SZQXg3GRJhF8mSHGgz9sq

I could be way off, but I think if you made any of these, one of the top 3 highest paid coaches they would prob come, and I think everyone would agree Tennessee would see results. Maybe not Bama results, but results Tennessee would be happy with.

Peterson
Patterson
Kelly
Dantonio
Shaw

These coaches would be much less of a risk than any OC/DC or mid major coach even given the money.

I think that Tennessee could only legitimately land one of those under normal circumstances; however I do not think right now is normal.........Tennessee has to make the right choice this time or 10 years (of what we have been seeing) could easily turn into 15 years.........and that could destroy the program for many, many more years. If Tennessee decided they have to win, and they cannot take another chance, and they offered any of those coaches the right amount of money..............prob every one of them would come. That is what I mean about they need $ to win.............maybe this is just me, but if they decide they want to try and be like Bama, there are some people out there who may be able to pull it off..........and if not, they would certainly at least put Tennessee back on the map.

Again just my opinion, and that don't mean much. But I don't want to see 4-5 million on a chance, when I could see 6-9 million on a sure thing.

Last edited:
Peterson
Patterson
Kelly
Dantonio
Shaw

Peterson isn't leaving the West Coast... and even if UT made a run at him UW is fully capable of winning a price war.

Patterson has had better opportunities to move... and hasn't. I can't tell you why.

Kelly had success at Oregon. He went there from New Hampshire. He is FAR more risky than most believe... and that's before you consider his reputation for being a jerk.

You think Dantonio belongs on that list? The guy who was 3-9 last year?

I'd love Shaw but he also isn't leaving the West Coast and UT isn't likely to win a bidding war with Stanford either.

Again, don’t be stupid. Read Fleck’s wiki and get a clue.

Beside, what had Saban done prior to LSU? Smart prior to UGA? Kelly prior to Oregon? Harbaugh prior to Stanford? Petersen prior to Boise State? Meyer prior to Florida?

You’re acting like the only way to make a great hire is to hire someone who has won championships in a Power 5 conference, yet none of today’s big names had done that prior to succeeding at a high level in the Power 5. A great coach is a great coach, period.

Last edited:
There's gonna be a bunch of opportunities for a lot of coaches at the end of the season. Jeff Brohm will have plenty of folks after him. He will take another job or get a big raise and extension from Purdue with a huge buy out.

A lot of the big name coaches will be in the same boat. Just depends on how much we are willing to spend.

Peterson isn't leaving the West Coast... and even if UT made a run at him UW is fully capable of winning a price war.

Patterson has had better opportunities to move... and hasn't. I can't tell you why.

Kelly had success at Oregon. He went there from New Hampshire. He is FAR more risky than most believe... and that's before you consider his reputation for being a jerk.

You think Dantonio belongs on that list? The guy who was 3-9 last year?

I'd love Shaw but he also isn't leaving the West Coast and UT isn't likely to win a bidding war with Stanford either.

As I stated before, normally none of them would prob come except maybe Chip; however I do not see this as normal times. The people in power may see things much differently, and this could be all moot. If Tennessee wanted to make one of those guys the highest paid or one of the top 3 highest paid coaches in college football.............they would certainly come.

And yes Dantonio certainly belongs on a cant miss list. I do not (and others should not) base a coaching decision on one season (many people on here getting hyped up by coaches who have had a great half of this season........it takes much more).

Dantonio took MSU to 11-2 ,11-3, 13-1, 11-2, & 12-2 over the past 7 years. MSU had 2 10 win season in its history (including when Saban was there...he had 1 season better than 7 wins). He has also shown capable of winning big games vs big teams. MSU was pretty much like KY before Dantonio got there.......usually not good, but every now and then they could make a bowl. MSU made 8 bowls in the 18 years prior to Dantonio, he has taken them to 9 in his 10 years there.

If you don't really know Dantonio you need to find out. He is a great coach........none of the flash........not the best players.........but he produces results.

As I stated before, normally none of them would prob come except maybe Chip; however I do not see this as normal times. The people in power may see things much differently, and this could be all moot. If Tennessee wanted to make one of those guys the highest paid or one of the top 3 highest paid coaches in college football.............they would certainly come.

And yes Dantonio certainly belongs on a cant miss list. I do not (and others should not) base a coaching decision on one season (many people on here getting hyped up by coaches who have had a great half of this season........it takes much more).

Dantonio took MSU to 11-2 ,11-3, 13-1, 11-2, & 12-2 over the past 7 years. MSU had 2 10 win season in its history (including when Saban was there...he had 1 season better than 7 wins). He has also shown capable of winning big games vs big teams. MSU was pretty much like KY before Dantonio got there.......usually not good, but every now and then they could make a bowl. MSU made 8 bowls in the 18 years prior to Dantonio, he has taken them to 9 in his 10 years there.

If you don't really know Dantonio you need to find out. He is a great coach........none of the flash........not the best players.........but he produces results.

I did not even consider Dantonio. Would be very interesting. I highly doubt MSU could match us in a bidding war. He also is a defensive minded coach. I wouldnt mind him being an option.

Again, don’t be stupid. Read Fleck’s wiki and get a clue.

Beside, what had Saban done prior to LSU? Smart prior to UGA? Kelly prior to Oregon? Harbaugh prior to Stanford? Petersen prior to Boise State? Meyer prior to Florida?

You’re acting like the only way to make a great hire is to hire someone who has won championships in a Power 5 conference, yet none of today’s big names had done that prior to succeeding at a high level in the Power 5. A great coach is a great coach, period.

Not being stupid. Just my opinion. I have looked up Flecks accomplishments. Sorry but I am not that impressed with him or Brohm yet. If you are then thats fine. I think Tennessee should go for bigger fish.

Your opinion is noted.

Purdue plays undefeated #7 Wisconsin tomorrow at 3:30 ET.

I encourage you all to tune in. Purdue is 16.5 point underdogs. If they keep it close, I hope more of you will warm up to the idea of bringing in Brohm.

If you are going to spend that kind of money... there are better coaches and better fits for UT.

Which has made MSU a consistent 2nd tier team that wins the Big 10 when everyone else is down. It doesn't really bode well if he has to compete in the SEC for recruits and then face Saban every years.

He's probably a step up from Jones but they think similarly about how to build and run a program.

He's very similar to Bielema. Bielema had won the B10 3 straight years before taking the Arkansas job. Dantonio has won 2 out of previous 4. Bielema won 66% of his conference games at Wisconsin. Dantonio has won 66% of his conference games at MSU. Dantonio has won 68% overall at MSU... Bielema won 74% at Wisconsin.

He's a good coach. He's not top tier. He's probably not even 2nd tier if guys like Fuente, Venables, and Brohm are considered 2nd tier.

PS- at 61 he's also too old.

If you are going to spend that kind of money... there are better coaches and better fits for UT.

Which has made MSU a consistent 2nd tier team that wins the Big 10 when everyone else is down. It doesn't really bode well if he has to compete in the SEC for recruits and then face Saban every years.

He's probably a step up from Jones but they think similarly about how to build and run a program.

He's very similar to Bielema. Bielema had won the B10 3 straight years before taking the Arkansas job. Dantonio has won 2 out of previous 4. Bielema won 66% of his conference games at Wisconsin. Dantonio has won 66% of his conference games at MSU. Dantonio has won 68% overall at MSU... Bielema won 74% at Wisconsin.

He's a good coach. He's not top tier. He's probably not even 2nd tier if guys like Fuente, Venables, and Brohm are considered 2nd tier.

PS- at 61 he's also too old.

I do not disagree with you, but with a coach like Dantonio you know what you are getting, with some of the others.......you really don't.

Also Dantonio has done what he has at MSU........If he could get MSU to 10, 11 or 12 wins most years.........what could he do for Tennessee in the East?

MSU has to play Mich, O ST, P ST & Notre Dame every year. The B-10 East has been much better than the SEC East over the past many years.

Wisc played in the West........huge difference.

I do not disagree with you, but with a coach like Dantonio you know what you are getting, with some of the others.......you really don't.
Not being disagreeable :) but this is what Arkansas thought when they replaced Nutt with Bielema.

A "sure bet" is almost always someone who has done it at multiple programs or teams.

Also Dantonio has done what he has at MSU........If he could get MSU to 10, 11 or 12 wins most years.........what could he do for Tennessee in the East?
Maybe everything... but maybe nothing. See Bielema and even Sumlin... or Brian Kelly. All were considered really good hires.

But that's why Dantonio isn't a "sure bet", top tier option. Plus at 61 he doesn't have 5 more years to build another program in the image of MSU.

MSU has to play Mich, O ST, P ST & Notre Dame every year. The B-10 East has been much better than the SEC East over the past many years.
OSU pre-Meyer, Michigan pre-Harbaugh, and ND the whole time... haven't been great programs.

If you are going this route.... swallow your pride and throw the bank at Franklin. I don't like him either but you can't deny what he's done and doing.

Wisc played in the West........huge difference.
No. Not really that much of a difference in the overall comparison.

VN Store

Back