I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

I think Brohm would be a very good hire if butch gets the boot this year. I'm not sure he'd be my first choice but a good hire nonetheless.

UGA currently has 15 1st or 2nd year players in their two deep. Smart is getting talent on the field EARLY. He's not talking about them playing only as 4th and 5th year players like Jones does.

UGA is coaching up their players. Smart has said that he runs a pretty simple D so that his players can play fast. He hired Pittman as OL coach... the guy who left Jones his only good OL.

You ask to "imagine". Imagine UT WITH Hurd, P Williams, Wharton, Helm,...
agreed. this is another philosophical approach with Butch that i just don't agree with. at a mid major, you can recruit and build toward teams that are made up of jr/sr/rs sr players for a possible run every 3-5 years.

in the SEC, the ones that are succeeding are the ones that can build depth from their RS fr and SO players. but you have to play them.

i think part of our attrition issues is the # of snaps key guys have to make, and depth struggles because some of these younger guys don't see the field enough in meaningful situations.

yes, we played a ton of young guys the first 2 years, but that was out of "have to" more than "want to".

philosophically i think this is one thing that holds him back.

Scott Frost should be our next HC if the "big ones" don't want to come here. Dude has done nothing but win, runs a compatible offense to our talent, and is taking UCF from winless to ranked.

interesting watching finebaum and rutledge today....brought up Kiffin as being a viable option to bring back to knoxville. said he would be contrite, admit he made a mistake leaving in the first place, and that he can coach offense and recruit. and his mission in life would be to beat Saban and Smart.

not saying i agree/disagree. just weird seeing it discussed, legitimately, on national tv.
Lol. Finebaum is just stirring the pot. There is zero way Kiffin is an option. He pissed off way too many influential people on the way out the door. That's not even mentioning how he failed spectacularly at USC.

Reactions: 1 person
That's the challenge. I'd be willing to pay more in order to either get a lower buyout if fired or else to base the buyout on a shorter term (which might be attractive to the coach too).

it will require the AD to be fairly savvy in how these contracts are set up and negotiated for sure.

Jim Chaney is his OC.

I get crucified for saying it... but Dooley's downfall wasn't the coaches he hired early. Wilcox and Chaney are better than anyone Jones has hired... included himself.

Dooley just didn't put in the time and effort to recruit the players needed to succeed.

Sal...period. :good!: I recall losing games we scored a lot of points in...

Scott Frost should be our next HC if the "big ones" don't want to come here. Dude has done nothing but win, runs a compatible offense to our talent, and is taking UCF from winless to ranked.

He’s another solid option. Interested to see how he fares against Charlie Strong in November

Lol. Finebaum is just stirring the pot. There is zero way Kiffin is an option. He pissed off way too many influential people on the way out the door. That's not even mentioning how he failed spectacularly at USC.

i know. it was just one of those things that i couldn't believe they were talking about, out in front of God and everybody.

Kiff will remain a candidate simply because he always seems to magically look better than he is...just for schools not in Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
Obviously, it'd be a challenge to convince him to leave Purdue after only 1 season but he's looking better and better as a head coach.

Saturday, he beat PJ Fleck decisively. In the season opener, he almost beat Petrino. He beat an SEC team 38-3. And he had Harbaugh on the ropes in the 4th quarter. This man knows how to coach...

And what's just as impressive, is his ability to get the most out of his quarterbacks. He's currently rolling with two QBs who have combined for 13 TDs to 6 INTs and a completion percentage of 62% (the leading passer is at 69%). What he was able to do with QBs Brandon Doughty and Mike White at WKU is simply remarkable... not to mention the 1600 yard rusher and TWO 1300 yard receivers he coached last year... The man has one of the best offensive minds in football.

NO, NO and Hell NO! Are you freaking Nuts? On Meth? He would NEVER be considered for a program as prestigious as UT. Granted he was an all XFL first teamer. A Purdue Coach that is 3-2 we might as well bring back Dooley! You're a TROLL and get the hell out of here!!!

i know. it was just one of those things that i couldn't believe they were talking about, out in front of God and everybody.

Not so fast my friend! He only stayed here for 1 year. Check my other post for consistency...He was young, dumb and full of himself. If he could resurrect UT football and be a thorn in Nick Saban's side he might take the offer. FAU? Really? Kiffin could return with the correct apology...I think he realizes his mistake.

agreed. this is another philosophical approach with Butch that i just don't agree with. at a mid major, you can recruit and build toward teams that are made up of jr/sr/rs sr players for a possible run every 3-5 years.

in the SEC, the ones that are succeeding are the ones that can build depth from their RS fr and SO players. but you have to play them.

i think part of our attrition issues is the # of snaps key guys have to make, and depth struggles because some of these younger guys don't see the field enough in meaningful situations.

yes, we played a ton of young guys the first 2 years, but that was out of "have to" more than "want to".

philosophically i think this is one thing that holds him back.

All true... and what has been his "high water mark" so far? I would say '15...

I think it would make a little more sense if UT recruited Mizzou, Vandy, or UK level players.

Talent hasn't held them back as much as a failure to execute the "fine points of playing winning football". A scalpel is a useful tool... but not when you're in an alley fight someone swinging a baseball bat. Jones attempt at making precisely placed and executed incisions... is being beaten by those who "execute" a successful swing to the head.

NO, NO and Hell NO! Are you freaking Nuts? On Meth? He would NEVER be considered for a program as prestigious as UT. Granted he was an all XFL first teamer. A Purdue Coach that is 3-2 we might as well bring back Dooley! You're a TROLL and get the hell out of here!!!

This post... makes the top 10 dumbest of the day list.

Reactions: 2 people
Not so fast my friend! He only stayed here for 1 year. Check my other post for consistency...He was young, dumb and full of himself. If he could resurrect UT football and be a thorn in Nick Saban's side he might take the offer. FAU? Really? Kiffin could return with the correct apology...I think he realizes his mistake.

So... you want a guy back who despised UT tradition and pretty much everything orange... and wanted to make UT "USC east annex"?

Kiffin might do well on the field. I think he does some good things. But there's more to the job than just that. The part Jones does well... Kiffin does horribly.

Plus... he pretty much told people that he thought you'd have to cheat to bring talent to K'ville.

Some clamor for Chip Kelly but he took over a program that was 36-15 with two 10 win seasons in the 4 years prior to him taking over. Bellotti had built the program. Kelly had been the OC there for a couple of years.

His situation at UT would be different and there's just no way to say he's a "sure bet".

Rich Brooks set the table, Bellotti took it to new heights,
Kelly continued the winning from what Bellotti established, and then there's Helfrich.
They had their run and now it's back to 8-4 type years most likely.

Now the real question is, Was it Kelly as the OC and HC or was it really Bellottis program and Kelly was just the care taker? As we all saw Kelly was unimpressive in the NFL. Here come the...but Saban in the NFL, .........

He will be going to Nebraska

Kelly continued the winning from what Bellotti established, and then there's Helfrich.

Now the real question is, Was it Kelly as the OC and HC or was it really Bellottis program and Kelly was just the care taker? As we all saw Kelly was unimpressive in the NFL. Here come the...but Saban in the NFL, .........

Kelly won ten games in two separate seasons in the NFL and a divisional championship. He was great schematically. He just couldn't deal with the egos there in the NFL and started trading away anyone regardless of talent that didn't mesh with his personality.

As for Kelly being only a program care taker? Well that's just laughable. Kelly is about as controlling and obsessive as Saban.

Brooks had Oregon at: 3-8, 6-6, 5-6, 9-4,
Bwllotti was certainly better but his last 7 years were: 7-6, 8-5, 5-6, 10-2, 7-6, 9-4, and 10-3

Chip came in as an OC and first year got them to about 10 ppg better, and then got them to 17 ppg better.

As the HC Chip went 10-3, 12-2, 12-1, and 12-2

NONE of the previous coaches got Oregon to a 12 win season and none of them ever had Oregon to 10 win or better on a consistent basis.

In Chip's last 3 years Oregon finished in the top 4 each year......something that was only accomplished once in the programs history before Chip.

People can say what they want but Chip came into a decent program and made them elite.

Reactions: 2 people
So... you want a guy back who despised UT tradition and pretty much everything orange... and wanted to make UT "USC east annex"?

Kiffin might do well on the field. I think he does some good things. But there's more to the job than just that. The part Jones does well... Kiffin does horribly.

Plus... he pretty much told people that he thought you'd have to cheat to bring talent to K'ville.

and vice versa. two bad we can't meld them together.

All true... and what has been his "high water mark" so far? I would say '15...

I think it would make a little more sense if UT recruited Mizzou, Vandy, or UK level players.

Talent hasn't held them back as much as a failure to execute the "fine points of playing winning football". A scalpel is a useful tool... but not when you're in an alley fight someone swinging a baseball bat. Jones attempt at making precisely placed and executed incisions... is being beaten by those who "execute" a successful swing to the head.

sounds stupid, but i agree. struggled with how to verbalize it, and this makes sense.

your last point....was live and in color last Saturday. we don't match up with more physical styles, that have equal to, or better than, talent levels.

Ironically Bellotti was mentioned as a possible replacement for Dooley in 2012. Great coach, but close to Fulmer’s age by now.

Brooks led the team to their first conference title in 100 years.

Belotti led the Ducks to their first four ten-win seasons in school history (2000, 2001, 2005, 2008). He led the Ducks to 12 bowl games, three more than they had attended in their entire history before his arrival. His best season was 2001, when he led the Ducks to an 11–1 record and a victory in the Fiesta Bowl. They finished second in both major polls, the highest final ranking in school history.

But don't the the facts stand in the way.

With that said, I don't see Kelly becoming the HC in Knoxville. UT will not shell out that kind of money on top of BJ's buyout.

VN Store

Back