I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

How is it unethical if he fulfills the terms of his contract?

I consider it unethical for a coach to accept a job and then skip out after a single season. If he would skip out on Prudue for Tennessee then he would surely skip out on Tennessee for Florida or a dozen other schools more attractive than Tennessee.

It could just be my hang up but I think people should honor commitments

I think there's a couple guys on this staff you could get away with keeping... Not that anyone should... Or would in favor of guys the new coach has on his staff already.

No other position has performed at or above expectations. Not sire if that is because Butch is micromanaging, or if it is a reflection of those individual position coaches.

I think there's a couple guys on this staff you could get away with keeping... Not that anyone should... Or would in favor of guys the new coach has on his staff already.

Agreed. Opinions differ of course but I think Gillespie, Warren, and Hoke, are elite position coaches. I also think Wells is very good. Shoop, in my opinion, is still one of the best DCs in college football.

He's a name on a list of names. There's more to it than just those two years. He has been a successful coordinator at a P-5 school. Something neither Jones nor Dooley had done. His two primary career influences are Schnellenberger and Petrino. That's a better pedigree than Dooley or Jones.

Brohm is a different kind of "up and comer"... the Urban Meyer @ Bowling Green variety.

If Brohm losses only 6 games in his first 4 seasons then you can begin comparing him to Urban Meyer. Currently he is 3-2

Nick Saban also hates all that political stuff. If we pay him enough Chip Kelly will come. And I think he will do great here. I think we beat everyone on the schedule this year with Chip Kelly except 2 major games we play in GA and Bama. Everyone else sucks. If Chip Kelly is our coach right now we're a minimum of a 10-2 team which will satisfy the fan base

But he doesn't kiss babies

Brohm might be a very good coach, but there's just no way to know for sure until he's been at Purdue a few years. He did well at WKU but how much impact did the year Petrino spent there putting his system in place impact him? Butch just followed Brian Kelly and kinda capitalized on his success. Brohm probably did more on his own at WKU, but it seems too soon to risk it on him at this point.

Reactions: 1 person
Watched highlights from the Purdue vs. Louisville game. Both teams did something when they were on the goal line, they had the QB right behind the center with his hands underneath to take the snap, and they had a guy lined up between the QB and the running back? WTH is that? Never seen anything like it

Reactions: 2 people
Watched highlights from the Purdue vs. Louisville game. Both teams did something when they were on the goal line, they had the QB right behind the center with his hands underneath to take the snap, and they had a guy lined up between the QB and the running back? WTH is that? Never seen anything like it

I’ll have to pull out my history book to confirm but I think you may be describing an actual football position called the “fullback”. I’d have to see the formation to be sure, but it may have been the “I-Formation”... It’s extremely rare these days in Knoxville but if you’re interested in learning more, just pull up any Super Bowl or National Championship game film. It’ll be there.

Let’s Take a Look at Jeff Brohm’s Contract - Hammer and Rails

Based on this article, I don't think Brohm is an option. If we pay $14m to buy Butch & Co. out and then have to pay $5m to buy Brohm out (plus any assistants that he wants to bring). I don't think Tennessee is going to spend $20M plus the new coaches salary. In this scenario Chip Kelly might be cheaper than Brohm. I'm not a Kelly fan, but it seems crazy to spend that much money before the new coach starts day one.

Brohm's buyout has been a concern from day1 as being higher than most other options.

We need someone who can win, without a disfunctional personality. The weird thing about Butch is that if he were winning in a big way, he'd be looked at in entirely different light on his quotes. Not that Butch doesn't come from a good place when he says them, but just comes off wrong, and let's face it, everyone in media is picking at every single little snippet they can, whether in context or not.

Kinda like Bull Durham quote to Nuke about mold on flip flops..."If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob."

...or changed for Butch: "If you win the SEC, you can make up strange quotes and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win the SEC, however, it means you are opening yourself up to alot of criticism."

No other position has performed at or above expectations. Not sire if that is because Butch is micromanaging, or if it is a reflection of those individual position coaches.

for all intents and purposes, this is BSIA version 3.0.

there's only been 1 constant in all 3 versions.

Gene Chizik won a national title in year 2. now he's on TV telling Dari Nokah what a zone blitz is.

i think Kirby is doing a good job. and with the talent available in state, there's not a lot of reason to think they aren't on a good trajectory.

but it is year two, this is an inherited team for the most part.

just like most coaches, you'll know the deal on him one way or the other in a couple more years.

they're ranked 4th right now. they're a couple losses away from being right where Mark Richt had them. and they still have FL, GT and Auburn to play, and BAma assuming they get to ATL.

i think most expect at this point that GA SHOULD win out until they get to ATL. we'll see how it goes should they drop a game.

(personally, i think they only game they have a shot at losing is Auburn...they should run the rest of the schedule)

Kirby/Georgia caught lightning in a bottle this yr. All of their draft eligible juniors stayed for their senior yr this season and are playing lights out. How many times is that gonna happen in today's world? Not often. Imagine Ga without Chubb, Michel, carter, Bellamy, etc. Bast majority of the time the kids have to take the $$$

If Brohm losses only 6 games in his first 4 seasons then you can begin comparing him to Urban Meyer. Currently he is 3-2

like i siap, i think it's harder today to identify the urban meyers of the world because of the attrition that takes place at head coach positions across the country.

if you look around at all the major programs that have made changes in the last 5 years, not everyone is hiring a top coach. most are getting 'up and comers'...some maybe before they've reached a level some think should qualify them for the type of job they're taking. here's some programs that have made changes over the last 5 years...

TN
ARK
FL
GA
MO
LSU
Vandy
PSU
Purdue
Michigan
Marlyand
NCSU
UNC
Miami
USCw
USCe
KY
OU
Nebraska
Texas
UVA
PItt
Wisconsin
Indiana
Illinois
Oregon
Oregon St
Colorado
Wake Forest
Baylor
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Iowa State

and those are the ones just off the top of my head. and what's more, aside from a few obvious ones on this list, a lot of these schools hired 'up and comers' or coordinators from p5 schools....and as that has happened, those 2nd tier p5 and mid majors have had to replace as well....meaning that the pool of coaches at that level right now, most all are relatively early in their tenures....so the resumes are "short".

point being, the 'pool' of coaches to select from simply isn't as deep as it was 10 years ago, when there was more stability at the top of these p5 conferences.

also, some of these schools have made more than 1 change in that time frame. further depleting the pool.

so imo, it's simply just not as easy at was 10 years or so ago to identify an 'urban meyer'. and you have some coaches, like a Gary Patterson or Chris Peterson, that most any program would hire, have simply decided to stay out of the rat race and stay put.

edit: which is why a guy like Brohm does sort of stand out...he's made the right progression of steps that you saw with a guy like Meyer....mid major (WKU/BGSU) to 2nd tier P5 (Utah/Purdue). it also doesn't mean that there aren't good coaches that can run this program the way we expect it to be run either. it's just not going to be as obvious as many want it to be.

Last edited:
Kirby/Georgia caught lightning in a bottle this yr. All of their draft eligible juniors stayed for their senior yr this season and are playing lights out. How many times is that gonna happen in today's world? Not often. Imagine Ga without Chubb, Michel, carter, Bellamy, etc. Bast majority of the time the kids have to take the $$$

agreed. but it is happening, and he gets to reap the benefit of the momentum a top 4 ranking, SEC title appearance, potential SEC title and play off berth, can generate going forward.

this GA team looks wholly different than the teams Mark Richt fielded, and looks to have leaped way ahead of FL and TN.

long story short, currently, they pass the eye test with flying colors.

Agreed. Opinions differ of course but I think Gillespie, Warren, and Hoke, are elite position coaches. I also think Wells is very good. Shoop, in my opinion, is still one of the best DCs in college football.

i'd be curious to see how Wells did in a different system, requiring different technique being taught. there's no doubting his recruiting prowess.

but again, none of that is to say the next guy should or would keep anyone on this staff, but i agree with the names you mentioned.

i'd also wonder about Beard. as i understand it, Butch is pretty involved with the WR's, and i wonder how much of what we see is Butch or Beard? to me, it looks a lot like what we've seen since CBJ has been here.

I consider it unethical for a coach to accept a job and then skip out after a single season. If he would skip out on Prudue for Tennessee then he would surely skip out on Tennessee for Florida or a dozen other schools more attractive than Tennessee.

How is it more of a fulfilled commitment if a coach leaves after 3 years with 5 years remaining on his contract as opposed to leaving after 1 year with 5 years remaining on his contract?

I am with you on people meeting their commitments but contracts like this spell out in certain terms what those commitments and penalties are.

Kiffin hosed UT in more ways than just leaving so quickly. In retrospect, he probably would have left a big NCAA mess had he stayed any longer.

As for leaving, build a high wall with a big buyout on his side of the equation. Make it difficult for someone to hire him away from you. UT could easily make it where Louisville could not afford him.

How is it more of a fulfilled commitment if a coach leaves after 3 years with 5 years remaining on his contract as opposed to leaving after 1 year with 5 years remaining on his contract?

I am with you on people meeting their commitments but contracts like this spell out in certain terms what those commitments and penalties are.

Kiffin hosed UT in more ways than just leaving so quickly. In retrospect, he probably would have left a big NCAA mess had he stayed any longer.

As for leaving, build a high wall with a big buyout on his side of the equation. Make it difficult for someone to hire him away from you. UT could easily make it where Louisville could not afford him.

yep, but that's a double edged sword...there's the one side with Kiffin and how we didn't protect ourselves, and the other side, look at Ed O's buyout and Bielema's buy out....no one was hiring Ed O as a hc last year...that buyout does more harm than good.

bielema's deal is more a hindsight being 20/20...that was, by all accounts, a great hire at the time. but now they're stuck. no one is paying $15m to get him out of ARK.......

UGA currently has 15 1st or 2nd year players in their two deep. Smart is getting talent on the field EARLY. He's not talking about them playing only as 4th and 5th year players like Jones does.

UGA is coaching up their players. Smart has said that he runs a pretty simple D so that his players can play fast. He hired Pittman as OL coach... the guy who left Jones his only good OL.

You ask to "imagine". Imagine UT WITH Hurd, P Williams, Wharton, Helm,...

We need someone who can win, without a disfunctional personality. The weird thing about Butch is that if he were winning in a big way, he'd be looked at in entirely different light on his quotes. Not that Butch doesn't come from a good place when he says them, but just comes off wrong, and let's face it, everyone in media is picking at every single little snippet they can, whether in context or not.

Kinda like Bull Durham quote to Nuke about mold on flip flops..."If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob."

...or changed for Butch: "If you win the SEC, you can make up strange quotes and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win the SEC, however, it means you are opening yourself up to alot of criticism."

Exactly. If he were winning, other leaders would be retweeting his quotes as inspiration.

Exactly
Imo and in my experience, contracts are more to get people out agreements and protect assests rather than hold people to a "commitment"
People that think otherwise are usually the ones holding the bag and paying the penalty.

That's why people are complaining about tn AD giving out these stupid buyouts.
Tn protected themselves by holding on to an asset that has no value

Tn is left holding the bill as butch ensured his payday - commitment or not.

yep, but that's a double edged sword...there's the one side with Kiffin and how we didn't protect ourselves, and the other side, look at Ed O's buyout and Bielema's buy out....no one was hiring Ed O as a hc last year...that buyout does more harm than good.

bielema's deal is more a hindsight being 20/20...that was, by all accounts, a great hire at the time. but now they're stuck. no one is paying $15m to get him out of ARK.......

That's the challenge. I'd be willing to pay more in order to either get a lower buyout if fired or else to base the buyout on a shorter term (which might be attractive to the coach too).

agreed. but it is happening, and he gets to reap the benefit of the momentum a top 4 ranking, SEC title appearance, potential SEC title and play off berth, can generate going forward.

this GA team looks wholly different than the teams Mark Richt fielded, and looks to have leaped way ahead of FL and TN.

long story short, currently, they pass the eye test with flying colors.

I agree he has a lot of players back and that is rare, but Smart is coaching circles around UT and UF this year. Their "weakness" is o-line, and he has masterfully called plays to keep the pressure off of that o-line. Runs of all kinds, even QB draws, and short passes and play action have kept defenses on their heels and not attacking. His team always seems to have the initiative...great coaching imo.

PS- To be honest... I am ready for UT to make a good enough hire that a coach has to try to buy UT out rather than the other way round. Hypothetically, if Brohm came and then bolted for Louisville and had to pay UT $5-10 million to get out of his contract... that ostensibly gives UT a successful program to sell then some cash to throw at the next coach.

I agree he has a lot of players back and that is rare, but Smart is coaching circles around UT and UF this year. Their "weakness" is o-line, and he has masterfully called plays to keep the pressure off of that o-line. Runs of all kinds, even QB draws, and short passes and play action have kept defenses on their heels and not attacking. His team always seems to have the initiative...great coaching imo.

Jim Chaney is his OC.

I get crucified for saying it... but Dooley's downfall wasn't the coaches he hired early. Wilcox and Chaney are better than anyone Jones has hired... included himself.

Dooley just didn't put in the time and effort to recruit the players needed to succeed.

VN Store

Back