I'm warming up to the idea of bringing in Jeff Brohm

No, but where did it get us? Here we are a few years later wanting to fire the guy who was simply "better than who we have now."

If Brohm was hired and fired within 3-4 years, I can hear the talking points now, and they're really not much different than what people say about Butch. "When you hire the guy from a Conference USA school and a bad Big 10 school, what do you expect," "doesn't have the best staff because his brother is OC," etc.

We are going to have to settle for someone who will be labeled by the fanbase as an up-and-comer. Chip Kelly, Gruden, Stoops, et al are not coming here. I don't think a highly thought of assistant like Brent Venables is going to come here either. I think he's on record as saying he likes being a DC and I think we need a guy with HC experience.

I agree with you on Stoops. The others, not so fast my friend.

What is a list of potential new coaches excluding the unrealistic, big name guys? I guess that means no Chip Kelly, no Stoops, no Gruden.

I actually think you can put Petrino on that list - he's in a position where he'd absolutely considering leaving Louisville (he leaves programs all the time anyway). He's the "best" candidate on the list in terms of coaching ability but comes with a Real Housewives-level of baggage. I think Les Miles would take the job too, but I don't want him.

Who else?

Hope they don't make the same mistake. This feels like a "Butch" hire to me. I in fact had to google the guy a couple weeks ago when his name came up...bad sign.

the problem is the variety of mistakes we've made...lol.

with Kiffin...terrible vetting job, terrible contract negotiating.

Dooley...AD got bullied in to that hire, and we weren't willing to open up the coffers for the top of the list, and got told "no" by too many...awfully bad look for the perception of the program.

Jones, similar to Dooley. wasn't our first choice, but an upgrade from Dooley. up until now, you can certainly argue legitimately that CBJ was/is a good hire for the program for time he was hired, and what had to be done once he got here. but this was a "hope" hire for sure.

now it's about direction. social media aside, the program itself is not a dumpster fire. what they do next is about what direction they want this program to go in from here.

and i honestly don't have warm fuzzies about any of the names thrown around the last couple weeks.

some intrigue, yes. but "sure fire"...nah.

Gruden...not gonna happen, and not convinced he'd just show up and be great as a college HC.

Kelly...siap, but he's a merc, and his personality can rub people the wrong way big time. and he comes with baggage. short term, i think hiring Kelly tells the fans we're serious about getting back to the top and gets an initial positive reaction from the media. Long term...i think it ends a lot like CBJ's tenure does. not convinced he'd be a good fit here, stylistically or personally.

Venebles...there's a lot here i like. could he be Bob Stoops??? DAbo Sweeny? combo of the two? or is just a great DC not meant to be a head coach? the fact he hasn't had a serious look yet, makes me think the latter. and we're still in the midst of a learn on the job HC. granted, he's worked under two of the best. worth an interview and vetting? absolutely.

Brohm...probably makes the most sense from a resume standpoint and qualification standpoint. absolutely a consideration.

Franklin...would maybe be my first choice, but never gonna happen for all the obvious reasons. you ask, knowing the answer is no.

Petrino...great offensive mind, but total prick, and he would not be a good fit in Knoxville. and really, what has he ever done?? personally, i'd be ok with Petrino. i think we need a little "attitude" around here, and enough with the 'work like heck' and '63 effort'. one of the things i liked about Kiffin. petrino also has swag. he expects to win. period.

Fuente...i think he's in a good situation at VT, and honestly, unless we were going to double his salary (what, $6m/year?) not sure we get him out of there. should we ask? yeah. definitely.

Dan Mullen...eh. i get it. but i'm not sold here.

then you get in to another level of names that i'm just not really ready to consider.

Reactions: 2 people
Likely Several names down. If those two are even on "the list".

oh, i'm sure they're on the list. they may even get inquiries. neither are coming here. Kelly will demand a ton of money, and i'm just not sold. you ask, yes...but with the intention of getting a no.

same with Gruden.

you can't not ask, right?

the problem is the variety of mistakes we've made...lol.

with Kiffin...terrible vetting job, terrible contract negotiating.

Dooley...AD got bullied in to that hire, and we weren't willing to open up the coffers for the top of the list, and got told "no" by too many...awfully bad look for the perception of the program.

Jones, similar to Dooley. wasn't our first choice, but an upgrade from Dooley. up until now, you can certainly argue legitimately that CBJ was/is a good hire for the program for time he was hired, and what had to be done once he got here. but this was a "hope" hire for sure.

now it's about direction. social media aside, the program itself is not a dumpster fire. what they do next is about what direction they want this program to go in from here.

and i honestly don't have warm fuzzies about any of the names thrown around the last couple weeks.

some intrigue, yes. but "sure fire"...nah.

Gruden...not gonna happen, and not convinced he'd just show up and be great as a college HC.

Kelly...siap, but he's a merc, and his personality can rub people the wrong way big time. and he comes with baggage. short term, i think hiring Kelly tells the fans we're serious about getting back to the top and gets an initial positive reaction from the media. Long term...i think it ends a lot like CBJ's tenure does. not convinced he'd be a good fit here, stylistically or personally.

Venebles...there's a lot here i like. could he be Bob Stoops??? DAbo Sweeny? combo of the two? or is just a great DC not meant to be a head coach? the fact he hasn't had a serious look yet, makes me think the latter. and we're still in the midst of a learn on the job HC. granted, he's worked under two of the best. worth an interview and vetting? absolutely.

Brohm...probably makes the most sense from a resume standpoint and qualification standpoint. absolutely a consideration.

Franklin...would maybe be my first choice, but never gonna happen for all the obvious reasons. you ask, knowing the answer is no.

Petrino...great offensive mind, but total prick, and he would not be a good fit in Knoxville. and really, what has he ever done?? personally, i'd be ok with Petrino. i think we need a little "attitude" around here, and enough with the 'work like heck' and '63 effort'. one of the things i liked about Kiffin. petrino also has swag. he expects to win. period.

Fuente...i think he's in a good situation at VT, and honestly, unless we were going to double his salary (what, $6m/year?) not sure we get him out of there. should we ask? yeah. definitely.

Dan Mullen...eh. i get it. but i'm not sold here.

then you get in to another level of names that i'm just not really ready to consider.

I would add Mike Leach to this list, but I don't think he would fit here. He is my favorite coach and it would be a hoot to see him in Orange.

I would add Mike Leach to this list, but I don't think he would fit here. He is my favorite coach and it would be a hoot to see him in Orange.

that's all it'd be. a hoot.

and the press conferences would be must see tv for totally different reasons they are now.

but is he a guy that should be realistically considered for this job?

negative.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with you on Stoops. The others, not so fast my friend.

I know it is a nebulous, unsatisfying answer, but Kelly doesn't seem like he'd "fit" at Tennessee. Despite the success at Oregon he isn't a proven dynamite recruiter and allegedly doesn't even like to recruit. He doesn't like political stuff and dealing with boosters (at Oregon he just had one big booster who gave him everything).

His philosophy, which is great but he thinks a little too highly of, is reliant on undersized but fast offensive and defensive linemen. If he brought that same philosophy to Tennessee, we'd be a pretty good team but would get manhandled at the line of scrimmage in a few games a year against great opponents, and our fanbase would be enraged. Given the ultra-high expectations our fans would have if Kelly were hired, we'd want to run him out of town if he hadn't turned us into an elite (not simply pretty good, but elite) program within 2-3 years. He would not be given much time at all, especially since he'd be inheriting a good, talented roster on paper.

Gruden has said multiple times he isn't interested.

What is a list of potential new coaches excluding the unrealistic, big name guys? I guess that means no Chip Kelly, no Stoops, no Gruden.

I actually think you can put Petrino on that list - he's in a position where he'd absolutely considering leaving Louisville (he leaves programs all the time anyway). He's the "best" candidate on the list in terms of coaching ability but comes with a Real Housewives-level of baggage. I think Les Miles would take the job too, but I don't want him.

Who else?
yeah, les miles is butch jones, with a better personality.

i left stoops off because until proven otherwise, he's made it pretty clear he's done coaching.

it would be equivalent to Nick Saban "not being the head coach at Alabama" if he makes all those public statements, only to wind up in Knoxville next season roaming the sidelines.

He's quickly proving he can play with the big boys (and beat them in the case of last week's game). Little bit different than Butch, who we creamed while he was at Cincy.

That being said, if you asked any Purdue fan up here (I live in Lafayette), they'll say he has completely transformed the culture and the team, and they've only played 5 games.

Purdue will pay for him to stay after this year if he starts to garner too much interest from the outside, so his price will go up. Let me say, he's turned things around up here, and with Tiller dying recently and reminding this administration and fans of what they had when he was here, they're not letting go of Brohm if they can do anything about it. They suffered too long.

Likewise, after only playing 5 games, it seems, somehow, caretaker Butch Jones has completely changed the culture at Tennessee this year.

I know it is a nebulous, unsatisfying answer, but Kelly doesn't seem like he'd "fit" at Tennessee. Despite the success at Oregon he isn't a proven dynamite recruiter and allegedly doesn't even like to recruit. He doesn't like political stuff and dealing with boosters (at Oregon he just had one big booster who gave him everything).

His philosophy, which is great but he thinks a little too highly of, is reliant on undersized but fast offensive and defensive linemen. If he brought that same philosophy to Tennessee, we'd be a pretty good team but would get manhandled at the line of scrimmage in a few games a year against great opponents, and our fanbase would be enraged. Given the ultra-high expectations our fans would have if Kelly were hired, we'd want to run him out of town if he hadn't turned us into an elite (not simply pretty good, but elite) program within 2-3 years. He would not be given much time at all, especially since he'd be inheriting a good, talented roster on paper.

Gruden has said multiple times he isn't interested.

Nick Saban also hates all that political stuff. If we pay him enough Chip Kelly will come. And I think he will do great here. I think we beat everyone on the schedule this year with Chip Kelly except 2 major games we play in GA and Bama. Everyone else sucks. If Chip Kelly is our coach right now we're a minimum of a 10-2 team which will satisfy the fan base

that's all it'd be. a hoot.

and the press conferences would be must see tv for totally different reasons they are now.

but is he a guy that should be realistically considered for this job?

negative.

Yeah Leach is perfect for programs where they have a recruiting disadvantage and need a schematic advantage to compensate and compete.

If Arkansas fires Bielema, my first call would be to Leach.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah Leach is perfect for programs where they have a recruiting disadvantage and need a schematic advantage to compensate and compete.

If Arkansas fires Bielema, my first call would be to Leach.

If arky Fires Bielema they should fire the AD to, his b/o is ridiculous. Hope Currie doesn't put us in a similar situation, asking ourselves if we can really afford to fire a failing HC. :crazy:

Nick Saban also hates all that political stuff. If we pay him enough Chip Kelly will come. And I think he will do great here. I think we beat everyone on the schedule this year with Chip Kelly except 2 major games we play in GA and Bama. Everyone else sucks. If Chip Kelly is our coach right now we're a minimum of a 10-2 team which will satisfy the fan base

He does, but he's so good he doesn't have to deal with the political stuff. He has a blank check from the admin/boosters to do whatever he wants.

If Saban was doing anything less than competing for national titles there every year, he'd either leave or be fired.

While i think its an intriguing idea

Kelly was hit with a failure to monitor penalty and a show cause.
His record against the sec was 1-2 (maybe 2-2) cant remeber off the top, but his only wins are against awful Tennessee teams.

That is a very misleading stat. Due to the SEC and Pac12 not having a bowl partnership the teams hardly ever play. His 2 losses came against 2010 Auburn and 2011 LSU. Those two teams combined for a 27-1 record, AU won the natty and LSU lost the natty Bama.

His worst season at Oregon was 10-3 in 2009 where he lost the Rose Bowl to OSU. 2010 he lost 1 game to Cam Newton’s AU team. 2011 won the 1st PAC championship game and beat Russel Wilson’s Wisconsin team in the Rose Bowl. 2012 was his last year where he went 12-1 including a Fiesta bowl win on K-State. 4 years, 4 BCS bowls. I’ll take it

Reactions: 6 people
That is a very misleading stat. Due to the SEC and Pac12 not having a bowl partnership the teams hardly ever play. His 2 losses came against 2010 Auburn and 2011 LSU. Those two teams combined for a 27-1 record, AU won the natty and LSU lost the natty Bama.

His worst season at Oregon was 10-3 in 2009 where he lost the Rose Bowl to OSU. 2010 he lost 1 game to Cam Newton’s AU team. 2011 won the 1st PAC championship game and beat Russel Wilson’s Wisconsin team in the Rose Bowl. 2012 was his last year where he went 12-1 including a Fiesta bowl win on K-State. 4 years, 4 BCS bowls. I’ll take it

Exactly

Not to mention Chip only got the "show cause" because he left for the NFL. After the USC debacle the NCAA changed their rules. Oregon only lost 2 scholarships over 2 years (one each year). If Chip were not such a hot commodity at the time, and if he had stayed at Oregon he would have received nothing. The NCAA has stated several times that Chip did not commit any violation. They also stated he did not even know the violation had occurred............because know one could have known (one guy from a recruiting service paid for room and board and gave him spending cash of less than $200, for one recruit to come to an evaluation visit to the recruiting service in Huston).

Reactions: 3 people
oh, i'm sure they're on the list. they may even get inquiries. neither are coming here. Kelly will demand a ton of money, and i'm just not sold. you ask, yes...but with the intention of getting a no.

same with Gruden.

you can't not ask, right?

Yes, you have to ask, I'm just not convinced they will be. WTF do I know though, just my opinion.

Wish they were both realistic. As you said, no one is a sure thing, but Im all for giving either one a shot before anyone else, if I had my way.

Exactly

Not to mention Chip only got the "show cause" because he left for the NFL. After the USC debacle the NCAA changed their rules. Oregon only lost 2 scholarships over 2 years (one each year). If Chip were not such a hot commodity at the time, and if he had stayed at Oregon he would have received nothing. The NCAA has stated several times that Chip did not commit any violation. They also stated he did not even know the violation had occurred............because know one could have known (one guy from a recruiting service paid for room and board and gave him spending cash of less than $200, for one recruit to come to an evaluation visit to the recruiting service in Huston).

Chip Kelly haters ignore these facts.

People that don't want him also seem to think he's going to run away....or he isn't an east coast guy....or he can't recruit in the SEC....or his video game offense won't work in the SEC (yet we run something already similar and Urban Meyer won big in this conference with it)....or his defenses suck blah, blah, blah....local media is scared of Kelly because he won't good 'ole boy them.

Truth of it is....we need someone that can out coach every East Division coach and then take it to Saban....do you really think Brohm can accomplish this? Simple truth...his product is not proven anymore than Butch Jones's was when we hired him...can't afford that type of risk again.

well, Brohm just didn't learn to coach...did pretty good at Western Kentucky too...he won't last long at Purdue...bigger bucks will come calling...:)

GO VOLS...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd get behind Brohm. Venables too. They're both 2nd tier in my list but I believe both would be an upgrade to Jones.

VN Store

Back