I'm Not Hearing Much About....

BigPapaVol

Wave yo hands in the aiya
Memphis. The calm before the storm has me believing in them.

They are the most athletic team in the country, they are big, they have a couple of shooters, a PG that gets tons of cheap driving baskets, they rebound and defend as well as everyone else, they have depth, they have a definite go to guy who happens to be one of the best players in the country. They, of everyone in the tourney, has the best prepared squad to weather shooting slumps because they can get to the hole against a zone.

The quiet makes me think Calipari has this thing right where he wants it. He has one of the best teams in the country, but since the UT loss everyone has written them off. He couldn't have contrived a better means of focusing his team and all they have ever lacked is focus from a couple of their studs. Bad scenario for everyone else, IMO.

Only thing the talking heads can say about Memphis is that they can't shoot FTs. I think the TV crowd has missed the boat with this team. I think they'll shell TX in Houston. FTs might doom them along the way, but Pitt won't.

The media went quiet on Memphis after our win I noticed. Probably a good thing for Memphis. They can focus on themselves.

Good post BPV, I agree. I think the lost to UT was the best thing for Memphis to get the hype off there back. Cal has this just where he wants it.

BPV,

You think MSU has 2 or even 3 future NBA players on that roster? I thought 8 was a poor seed for them and thought that a was slight for Memphis to possibly have that as a second round match up. I would much rather play Drake or Butler than to see MSU in the second round. Thought Memphis got a little jobbed there.

BPV,

You think MSU has 2 or even 3 future NBA players on that roster? I thought 8 was a poor seed for them and thought that a was slight for Memphis to possibly have that as a second round match up. I would much rather play Drake or Butler than to see MSU in the second round. Thought Memphis got a little jobbed there.
Rose, CDR, Dorsey, Dozier should all be NBA players. Rose and CDR very good ones. Even Taggert and Anderson will make rosters in the NBA. This is a very, very talented crew.

They could beat MSU by 30. I don't like that matchup at all for Stansbury's group. Gordon will get a decent feel for NBA caliber defender in Anderson and NBA style shot blocker in Dorsey. Only way MSU is in that game is atrocious shooting by Memphis.

Yea, I can see Memphis blowing anyone out but I could also see MSU hanging in. MSU is good at shot blocking and could alter some shots in that attack, attack, attack..offense. Of course, attack..attack..could have Vernardo and Rhodes fouled out midway through the second half.

Also, I asked how many NBA players MSU had?

The Memphis game was fixed.....they struggled to let us win! Cal played us all like a game of Pong! It was the only game left on the schedule he could afford to lose w/o losing the 1 seed......Damn I hate that guy! He is The Evil Genius.

The Memphis game was fixed.....they struggled to let us win! Cal played us all like a game of Pong! It was the only game left on the schedule he could afford to lose w/o losing the 1 seed......Damn I hate that guy! He is The Evil Genius.
I know we want to tell ourselves that we took their best shot on their floor and left with a W, but that's just not reality. CDR and Dozier won't be giving out any more gifts like that.

Actually it was neither teams best game but our best vs their best.......edge Memphis.

Also, I asked how many NBA players MSU had?
My bad, I took that as Memphis State (shhh!!!! don't tell anyone, I hear they're touchy about that).

They have Gordon, and Varnado (although the Tyrus Thomas experiment isn't helping him any) and maybe barely Rhodes.

My bad, I took that as Memphis State (shhh!!!! don't tell anyone, I hear they're touchy about that).

They have Gordon, and Varnado (although the Tyrus Thomas experiment isn't helping him any) and maybe barely Rhodes.

Tyler will get it in his contract that whoever takes him must also take little bro.....the family has been split long enough.....so don't forget no. 11 in your program!

The reason Memphis isn't high on the national radar right now is the same reason we have not gotten the respect we deserve imo. We are not the North Carolina's, UCLA's of the basketball world. The national media pushed our matchup because it was in the best interest of basketball at the time. Now hyping NC or UCLA is what they feel is best for the game.

I will go on record. If the Vols can't win it all, I hope Memphis does.

Keep it in state? Hm... that just makes Cal's head a bit bigger, IMO. I would like to see a UT-Memphis Final... that would be good for the state.

That may have not been thier best shot, but I can tell you UT wanted it more... going after the losse balls, rebounds etc. I think they're the team to beat, even moreso than UNC at this point.

Memphis. The calm before the storm has me believing in them.

They are the most athletic team in the country, they are big, they have a couple of shooters, a PG that gets tons of cheap driving baskets, they rebound and defend as well as everyone else, they have depth, they have a definite go to guy who happens to be one of the best players in the country. They, of everyone in the tourney, has the best prepared squad to weather shooting slumps because they can get to the hole against a zone.

The quiet makes me think Calipari has this thing right where he wants it. He has one of the best teams in the country, but since the UT loss everyone has written them off. He couldn't have contrived a better means of focusing his team and all they have ever lacked is focus from a couple of their studs. Bad scenario for everyone else, IMO.

Only thing the talking heads can say about Memphis is that they can't shoot FTs. I think the TV crowd has missed the boat with this team. I think they'll shell TX in Houston. FTs might doom them along the way, but Pitt won't.
Excellent observations. It's a huge mistake for anyone to underestimate the Tigers. Everyone is ignoring they blew out everybody they played in the CUSA tournament, and while I realize the other teams weren't very talented, Memphis was just getting their engines revved up.

Excellent observations. It's a huge mistake for anyone to underestimate the Tigers. Everyone is ignoring they blew out everybody they played in the CUSA tournament, and while I realize the other teams weren't very talented, Memphis was just getting their engines revved up.
TX is the vogue pick from the region, but I just don't see it. TX has no depth whatsoever and relies very heavily on the 3 ball. UM will outrebound them by about 15.

TX is the vogue pick from the region, but I just don't see it. TX has no depth whatsoever and relies very heavily on the 3 ball. UM will outrebound them by about 15.

Memphis hasn't always faired well against zone and junk defenses (see USC). If Damion James keeps crashing the glass with reckless abandon, the Tigers won't outrebound Texas by 15. Memphis may very well beat the Longhorns in Houston (assuming both advance), but I expect it to be a very competitive affair.

Memphis hasn't always faired well against zone and junk defenses (see USC). If Damion James keeps crashing the glass with reckless abandon, the Tigers won't outrebound Texas by 15. Memphis may very well beat the Longhorns in Houston (assuming both advance), but I expect it to be a very competitive affair.
James rebounds well about every other game, but hasn't seen a crowd as big AND athletic as Memphis. I'd be shocked if the reb margin weren't 15.

I don't think playing Texas in Houston is a great scenario for Memphis. The Tigers are the better team, but I have them going out at TX hands. Should be a great game, if it happens...

Memphis has seen just about every Defense that there is this year. From the start of the season till now, that's just about all Memphis has seen zone and junk D's and all that has done was get them ready for the tourney. God forbid someone plays them man to man, that would be fun to watch.

VN Store

Back