‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

It’s freaking cold and a bun
To be fair, why would you not go to Ohio State (other than playing time or system) over Tennessee? Ohio State has been a far better football program in recent history than Tennessee.

I guess we can take solace in that we were his #2 option. Perhaps some posters on another board that I am in are correct about Tennessee. Sprye over paid for Nico and now every player is going to want to make ~2 million a year or they won't consider Tennessee.

Cause it’s freaking cold and no fried chicken worth a crap

Reactions: hooter vol
this line is specific to Tennessee, its coaches and any collective Tennessee may be involved with.

There’s still an NCAA rule that specifically says we cannot be involved in any kind of NIL or any kind of inducement activity in recruiting
Think Spyre has always known that. The collective can be involved, just not induce. Nico was obbiously a rarity since he was a Cali player. And we did all we had to, contractually, to avoid inducement.

I haven't been following all the hoopla the past 2 weeks, but it'd seem like business as usual.

OSU has a long history of being a second tier ahole school since Woody Hayes. If he can lower himself to that (regardless of the money) then good riddance to him. Not surprising for a no class Chicago guy.

1) Was Woody Hayes an ahole?

Of course he was.

2) Is OSU a 2nd tier program?

No way in hell. They are top 3 or 5 in most any metrics all-time.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
from what i have been told by a six figure donor was that the administration never has been big fans of spyre. the admin. sees them as taking money that the school should be getting for construction projects and it is affecting the budgeting of the schools construction plans. there are some in the admin. that think that 35 million would go farther in brick and mortar than paying recruits
Noo please no. We've spent billions the last 15 years on all that. For once we are spending on those people that actually win us ball games - not another $800k worth of workout equipment when we just bought all brand new crap the year before!! Now THAT'S a waste.

Noo please no. We've spent billions the last 15 years on all that. For once we are spending on those people that actually win us ball games - not another $800k worth of workout equipment when we just bought all brand new crap the year before!! Now THAT'S a waste.
Lol. We’ve pissed away more in coaching salaries than 35 million.

Then I hope you’re ok with losing Tony Vitello, because he’s not staying at UT if the baseball renovations don’t happen.

We straight got played be honest. 3 days in a row 3 of the top WR commit there. It is what it is I guess.

1) Was Woody Hayes an ahole?

Of course he was.

2) Is OSU a 2nd tier program?

No way in hell. They are top 3 or 5 in most any metrics all-time.
So, it seems he made the right decision, Wonder if he also aspires to be an ahole since OSU excells at cultivating them (Urban). If his character is on that level, more power and good riddance to him. Losing him makes us the winners IMHO.

Question for the knowledgeable folks of the recruiting forum from a fella who rarely follows this aspect of the program:

With WRs Tate, then Inness, then Rogers all committing to Ohio State bang-bang-bang over three days, does that increase the chance that one of them starts to feel crowded and backs away from the commitment? And if so, could that one be Tate?

Thanks in advance for any insights. Go Vols!

No, they all want to play together. It’s not like QB, where more commits scare them away, there are 4-5 WR on the field on almost all plays, and you want to play with the best to win championships.

I mean, look at Bama’s receiver room for the past 8-10 years. High 4*’s and 5*’s galore

Reactions: Frosty
Question for the knowledgeable folks of the recruiting forum from a fella who rarely follows this aspect of the program:

With WRs Tate, then Inness, then Rogers all committing to Ohio State bang-bang-bang over three days, does that increase the chance that one of them starts to feel crowded and backs away from the commitment? And if so, could that one be Tate?

Probably not. But we’ll continue to send dudes wide open down the sidelines 4-5 times per game regardless

Then I hope you’re ok with losing Tony Vitello, because he’s not staying at UT if the baseball renovations don’t happen.
That damn well better not happen. Of all the sports to take care of, UT baseball has shown itself to be worthy. Tony V is the best coach on UT's campus. Lose him and....well...I don't even want to contemplate what the atmosphere would be like.

Reactions: Frosty
Pretty sure that **** is being financed quite a bit by locking up box seats, suites, etc. The desire and ticket sales are there. Has nothing to do with football NIL. Nor is college baseball ever an important sport. It's maybe a top 10 sport in college. It's FUN because we're winning...if not then nobdy cares either way. It doesn't even make nightly news or ESPN lol. If not for UT baseball, not a soul in America outside of hodunk Arkansas would gaf about it if we're being honest. Thank god for TV though because it's fun as hell beating SEC ass in baseball and basketball...thank you to Rick.

Next...the real sport...football!!

from what i have been told by a six figure donor was that the administration never has been big fans of spyre. the admin. sees them as taking money that the school should be getting for construction projects and it is affecting the budgeting of the schools construction plans. there are some in the admin. that think that 35 million would go farther in brick and mortar than paying recruits

It makes sense when you consider Heupel hasn’t been at any fundraisers nor has he said anything publicly about donating to the collective unlike what is now happening at many other schools. Very likely he’s being directed not to do either.

It makes sense when you consider Heupel hasn’t been at any fundraisers nor has he said anything publicly about donating to the collective unlike what is now happening at many other schools. Very likely he’s being directed not to do either.
Only it doesn't make sense at all. When you have Nick Saban and Ryan Day and other head coaches calling out their donors over NIL, it makes zero sense for our coaches to say nothing at all. If this is coming from Donde or DW, and it is extremely hard for me to believe DW would sign of on this (but not Donde), then that's a HUGE problem for our program. There is absolutely no reason for us to kneecap our program like that. None. IF the problem is Donde, then Randy needs to step in and overrule her on this. But I'm not convinced that all this speculation about them working against Spyre is accurate. Apparently the person to ask is @WillAtSpyre .

Reactions: Montrell Hardy

On the third day he created flips…

You would think so JP, but it was probably all staged to happen that way. I'd say the coaches sold the players on making a big boom in the recruiting world by announcing their commitments the way they did.

Sooner or later some of those guys are gonna get a reality check. . . "great receivers already here, great receivers coming in our class, more great receivers coming next year and the year after."

It sounds good and macho to be included in a great receivers' room like that, but you have to start questioning some things. How hard is it going to be to see the field? Odds are extremely low for any individual to ever be the star wideout.

If they recruit like this for 4 years in a row, that's 12 blue-chip receivers in the same room, not including any surprise 3*s or transfers. At face value, you have less than a 10% chance of being the #1 guy. If you do become the #1 guy, your touches are also going to be limited, as they try to get everyone involved. They won't be able to, some will get pissy, some will leave. If you make just 1 mistake, watch out, someone's right there behind you. The coaches won't hesitate to replace you. After all, they are getting paid millions to, above all else, win and they have a whole room full of guys just like you or better.

I didn't do the math or know exactly how to, but. . . I would say the odds are much much greater that you'll be one of the disgruntled players who transfers than you are to ever be the #1 guy.

I think, at some point, this will sink into some of their heads and they'll sign elsewhere. They may not realize it til it's too late and be a transfer portal casualty after their 1st or 2nd year.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Getting out-maneuvered. We aren’t as smart as we think we are.

Wrong. Listen to AP and Hubbs talk about the Tate situation. When Kodi Burns left, that was basically it. AP also said even if Tate committed to us, the likelihood of him actually signing with us was very slim.

This miss was about relationships. The staff did the absolute best they could.

Wrong. Listen to AP and Hubbs talk about the Tate situation. When Kodi Burns left, that was basically it. AP also said even if Tate committed to us, the likelihood of him actually signing with us was very slim.

This miss was about relationships. The staff did the absolute best they could.

If hiring a 30 y/o WR coach is the best we could do then so be it I guess

It doesn’t even have to make sense. Out the crapper and immediately on the wall. 😴

Reactions: SugarCC

VN Store

Back