‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

Would be great if we could get back at osu for this. Like go throw big bags at inniss and rogers and see if we can steal one.

Or, just wait til Eric berry meets them over the middle.

I don’t know if they are even still investigating it honestly. Since there has been no smoke around it I assumed it was just a dead issue.

its still open. NCAA could opt to come back and look further at anytime until they issue a final decision. Its far from a dead issue and rivals still use it in recruiting.

I highly doubt Tennessee is holding back what they are allowed to do with NIL. That the NCAA has dragged out this long is not shocking, it’s what they do. At this point Tennessee is going to do everything it can that is legal to recruit a player. Tate went to the school his heart was at. Top dollar isn’t always going to get every player. Many other factors go into getting a player. Some folks on here just have to invent a reason we lost a recruit. Sometimes it just happens, that’s all. GBO

Here is Danny White in an interview a month ago regarding NIL and recruits.

With the new Tennessee state law, we can now collaborate with them in ways that weren’t permissible a month ago. All along, they have been good community partners. We have a director of name, image and likeness who has experience in compliance and marketing. Her job is to focus on NIL—making sure we are educating Spyre and others who want to engage in that space on what the rules are and what the laws are. We couldn’t speak to them on collaboration for NIL deals (before the recent state amendment). Now, we can for current student-athletes. There’s still an NCAA rule that specifically says we cannot be involved in any kind of NIL or any kind of inducement activity in recruiting. So, there’s a line between recruiting and current student-athletes that we have been very strict about with our coaches and staff—and we will continue to be. I like where we are in that space.

I don't know why anyone is panicking over our current ranking in this class yet or what other classes are looking like. From a quantity AND quality standpoint, we are still better than a bunch of classes "ahead" of us. We may have dropped to 15th, but in terms of actual player ranking our class has a higher quality than 7 other classes ahead of us and also 12 of those classes ahead of us have more players in them. We will get our guys and still have a good chance to finish top 10.

Here is Danny White in an interview a month ago regarding NIL and recruits.

With the new Tennessee state law, we can now collaborate with them in ways that weren’t permissible a month ago. All along, they have been good community partners. We have a director of name, image and likeness who has experience in compliance and marketing. Her job is to focus on NIL—making sure we are educating Spyre and others who want to engage in that space on what the rules are and what the laws are. We couldn’t speak to them on collaboration for NIL deals (before the recent state amendment). Now, we can for current student-athletes. There’s still an NCAA rule that specifically says we cannot be involved in any kind of NIL or any kind of inducement activity in recruiting. So, there’s a line between recruiting and current student-athletes that we have been very strict about with our coaches and staff—and we will continue to be. I like where we are in that space.

I read that as Danny saying the university can only collaborate with Spyre when it comes to current athletes. I don’t read that as him trying to prevent Spyre from going after recruits though.

I read that as Danny saying the university can only collaborate with Spyre when it comes to current athletes. I don’t read that as him trying to prevent Spyre from going after recruits though.

this line is specific to Tennessee, its coaches and any collective Tennessee may be involved with.

There’s still an NCAA rule that specifically says we cannot be involved in any kind of NIL or any kind of inducement activity in recruiting

from what i have been told by a six figure donor was that the administration never has been big fans of spyre. the admin. sees them as taking money that the school should be getting for construction projects and it is affecting the budgeting of the schools construction plans. there are some in the admin. that think that 35 million would go farther in brick and mortar than paying recruits
Wow! Pay the recruits like everyone else. Winning championships will pay for plenty of brick and mortar.

Reactions: Montrell Hardy
from what i have been told by a six figure donor was that the administration never has been big fans of spyre. the admin. sees them as taking money that the school should be getting for construction projects and it is affecting the budgeting of the schools construction plans. there are some in the admin. that think that 35 million would go farther in brick and mortar than paying recruits

so all my marijuana monies are going towards construction projects and not recruits :(

I really wish we could’ve got Tate because I think he will be a stud but WR is the easiest place to get talent. Ohio State has been producing NFL WRs for years and he will be one of the next in a long line. Good luck to Carnell and now let’s go get our own future NFL WR now.

Tate was a "nice to have" but it's not a huge blow, IMO. We need O line depth and defensive help in a big way. If we whiff on these position groups, then it'll be cause for concern.

Wow! Pay the recruits like everyone else. Winning championships will pay for plenty of brick and mortar.
They can gussy it up all they want. Last time I was at Neyland, with my wife. We saw ADULTS, held up against the wall being cuffed, peeing in bushes, throwing up, and passing out onto spouse. F bombs galore! Never again. Why would I pay $80 a ticket to support that? Not to mention take my kids to that crap show.

We can stay at home, save $ on gas and make memories without exposing young kids to all that. I attended games from 5 to 40. Never saw that behaviour.

Ill give Spyre my dollars. Players win championships. Widened concourses do nothing for me.

They can gussy it up all they want. Last time I was at Neyland, with my wife. We saw ADULTS, held up against the wall being cuffed, peeing in bushes, throwing up, and passing out onto spouse. F bombs galore! Never again. Why would I pay $80 a ticket to support that? Not to mention take my kids to that crap show.

We can stay at home, save $ on gas and make memories without exposing young kids to all that. I attended games from 5 to 40. Never saw that behaviour.

Ill give Spyre my dollars. Players win championships. Widened concourses do nothing for me.
Sounds like most sporting events

Tate was a "nice to have" but it's not a huge blow, IMO. We need O line depth and defensive help in a big way. If we whiff on these position groups, then it'll be cause for concern.
Over the last 15 years or so... I've watched UT consistently "win" on NSD. Classes that at a minimum should have had UT in the upper half of the SEC and top 2 or 3 in the East came and went.... at least that's what they looked like on paper. A few years ago, it occurred to me that there are a lot of 5* talents who get labeled 3* or even lower. From where UT is at, I'm glad they can compete with Clemson, OSU, Bama, and UGA for recruits. Hopefully the Vols will win some.

BUT... the coach who turns it around will look more like Dabo's early years than Saban's. He will find more than his share of those 3* gems. He'll get some key pieces that are highly rated but the success of the roster will be guys like Tillman who weren't loved by the recruiting sites. According to 247's composite... there were 246 WR's better than Tillman.

I hope the RB from NV is like that. We saw Jaylen Wright make solid contributions last year in spite of a 3* rating and admittedly not very impressive HS stats.

So I guess while it would have been nice to get a highly rated player like Tate for imagery... there is a 3* or 2* out there somewhere that can be every bit as good if the Vols can find him.

Man it's really wild how Bama has done no wrong and then Texas A&M signed 8 five stars.You ain't heard a peep outta anyone til we supposedly signed Nico which is pure rumor but since then is been mass hysteria.Kinda get tired of this sh*t Ncaa a joke enuff is enuff.
Saban complained about TAMU, us, Jackson State, etc. He's complaining about any player that he wants that he doesn't get in regards to NIL.

Over the last 15 years or so... I've watched UT consistently "win" on NSD. Classes that at a minimum should have had UT in the upper half of the SEC and top 2 or 3 in the East came and went.... at least that's what they looked like on paper. A few years ago, it occurred to me that there are a lot of 5* talents who get labeled 3* or even lower. From where UT is at, I'm glad they can compete with Clemson, OSU, Bama, and UGA for recruits. Hopefully the Vols will win some.

BUT... the coach who turns it around will look more like Dabo's early years than Saban's. He will find more than his share of those 3* gems. He'll get some key pieces that are highly rated but the success of the roster will be guys like Tillman who weren't loved by the recruiting sites. According to 247's composite... there were 246 WR's better than Tillman.

I hope the RB from NV is like that. We saw Jaylen Wright make solid contributions last year in spite of a 3* rating and admittedly not very impressive HS stats.

So I guess while it would have been nice to get a highly rated player like Tate for imagery... there is a 3* or 2* out there somewhere that can be every bit as good if the Vols can find him.
I think Wright and Stallings are very similar when looking at their HS stats. Wright had 140 total carries in hs, no senior year, high ypc just a small sample size. Stallings is the same in that respect. I think Wright has a big year

I think Wright and Stallings are very similar when looking at their HS stats. Wright had 140 total carries in hs, no senior year, high ypc just a small sample size. Stallings is the same in that respect. I think Wright has a big year
To me the question with Wright is if he can add weight without losing speed. If he can then he could surprise everyone.

I saw Stallings video but not his stats.

To me the question with Wright is if he can add weight without losing speed. If he can then he could surprise everyone.

I saw Stallings video but not his stats.
Quick Google search doesn't render much, but Ryan Callahan said something along the lines of 700+ yards at 8.7 yards per carry?

Reactions: sjt18
Quick Google search doesn't render much, but Ryan Callahan said something along the lines of 700+ yards at 8.7 yards per carry?
With only 89 total carries. While playing LB and CB originally. Apparently lived in California his freshman and/or sophomore before moving to Vegas. Tip of the iceberg for this kid

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back