If You Want To Read Something Brutal...

Was he the only man coaching then?
No, but he wasn't the best either. Noll and Landry each easily outstripped his accomplishments. Shula is like Fulmer, he's lived an entire life off of really one accomplishment.

What was he supposed to do? At a time when his team, then the teams he was playing against were in the playoff race, just say "Guys, I'm leaving at the end of the year, let's play it out." Even his players have admitted in the local media here that expecting him to do that is naive and silly.

I don't recall another NFL coach doing this. There are ways of handling it in a classy manner and chose to be a coward. I don't blame him for leaving. He was not a good NFL coach and he suckered bammer into giving him a crazy contract. But that doesn't change the fact he is classless which makes him a perfect fit for the school he will be coaching. If infact they do butt heads I will enjoy it even more.

No, but he wasn't the best either. Noll and Landry each easily outstripped his accomplishments. Shula is like Fulmer, he's lived an entire life off of really one accomplishment.

Which accomplishment was that? Coaching the only team in NFL history to go undefeated or being the winningest coach in NFL history?

Exactly why is anyone talking to a senile goof like Don Shula? You talk about living in the past, he hasn't been relevant in over 30 years. He's a bitter old stooge. He deserves having two imbeciles as sons.
I thought he won super bowls with Baltimore and the Colts.I always thought he was very smart.I'm sure he's just ticked about his son.His son was lucky to get a shot a Bama in the first place.

Was he the only man coaching then?
I answered yours, now you can answer mine. Once the league started changing and the players that the great personnel guys that Shula worked with could actually move around, how did he do? When players actually had some freedom, instead of being well paid servants, how did he do? As the game evolved from a game based on the running game and brute force into a game based on speed and strategy, how did he do? He's a relic of another time. Him giving a sermon on today's football is like Porter Waggoner talking about gangsta rap. They're both clueless.

I answered yours, now you can answer mine. Once the league started changing and the players that the great personnel guys that Shula worked with could actually move around, how did he do? When players actually had some freedom, instead of being well paid servants, how did he do? As the game evolved from a game based on the running game and brute force into a game based on speed and strategy, how did he do? He's a relic of another time. Him giving a sermon on today's football is like Porter Waggoner talking about gangsta rap. They're both clueless.

Character and class knows no era. Shula has it, Saban talks about it.

Which accomplishment was that? Coaching the only team in NFL history to go undefeated or being the winningest coach in NFL history?
As Bob Knight said, "Being the winningest coach of all time just means you coached a long time." That record is about longevity not greatness. The schedule was also expanded at least, and I think twice, during Shula's career, so he coached more games.

He went to the SB and lost. He made the playoffs annually. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) he had a wide open pass oriented offense towards the end.

Character and class knows no era. Shula has it, Saban talks about it.
Yeah, being a restaurant shill, going on about how much you love your dying wife then remarrying before she's cold, and constantly carping at your successors, real classy. He should teach a course on that. He certainly couldn't teach modern football to his mentally deficient sons.

Yeah, being a restaurant shill, going on about how much you love your dying wife then remarrying before she's cold, and constantly carping at your successors, real classy. He should teach a course on that. He certainly couldn't teach modern football to his mentally deficient sons.

Where did I or anyone else (other than you while being disrespectful) post anything about his sons?

He went to the SB and lost. He made the playoffs annually. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) he had a wide open pass oriented offense towards the end.
The Super Bowl appearances, both wins and losses, were pre salary cap, pre free agency. What was he going to do at the end, hand the ball to Sammie Smith? He wasted Marino's best years with his own ineptness.

Look hate I get it man. Defending a jerk like Saban is hard so the best thing to do is deflect comments and change the subject to another. That is a very common and often effective form of debate.

The Super Bowl appearances, both wins and losses, were pre salary cap, pre free agency. What was he going to do at the end, hand the ball to Sammie Smith? He wasted Marino's best years with his own ineptness.

I bet Marino agrees with you... :eek:lol:

Where did I or anyone else (other than you while being disrespectful) post anything about his sons?
Truly great teachers pass on their knowledge. The record of his progeny show exactly how much clue Steakhouse Don had about the modern game.

Look hate I get it man. Defending a jerk like Saban is hard so the best thing to do is deflect comments and change the subject to another. That is a very common and often effective form of debate.
The only people who have any right to be upset are the Dolphin players. To a man, they've defended his actions. When one of them criticizes him, I'll give it some credence. As long as it's just media jackals and senile old coaches doing so, I'll disregard it as what it is, worthless chatter.

Truly great teachers pass on their knowledge. The record of his progeny show exactly how much clue Steakhouse Don had about the modern game.

As you know coaches get to spend a ton of time with their families...

I've had enough for a day. I have dinner plans with a Beautiful lady and I don't want to keep her waiting long. Good night and while you sleep tonight maybe you can dream of a way to convince others that Nick Saban is not a classless jerk with none of the character traits he preaches.

As you know coaches get to spend a ton of time with their families...

I've had enough for a day. I have dinner plans with a Beautiful lady and I don't want to keep her waiting long. Good night and while you sleep tonight maybe you can dream of a way to convince others that Nick Saban is not a classless jerk with none of the character traits he preaches.
I know Dave worked for him, I'm not sure about Clueless Mike. The only people who have to be convinced to trust in Nick are the guys in the crimson uniforms. He won't have any problem getting them to buy into what he's selling.

I should also add that unlike other college coaches who couldn't make it in the NFL, he left like a thief in the night and didn't even have the class to face the music about his decision. Carrol, Spurrier et al may have failed in the NFl but atleast they had guts and character. Saban has shown none.

Yeah. And I dont remember with Carrol, but its not like Spurrier bluntly lied about going back to coaching, then did it less then a month later. He took a year off and definately took less money.

I would at least respect Saban if he said "It was a lot of money to walk away from and I dont know if I would have that opportunity to make it again". He would still be quitter leaving a failed effort...but he'd be honest.

Good night and while you sleep tonight maybe you can dream of a way to convince others that Nick Saban is not a classless jerk with none of the character traits he preaches.
Please, cease acting as if your opinion is shared by everyone else. He doesn't have to convince others, most are fully capable of being reasonable.

Based on the thread title, I was expecting to see hatvol's review of his recent Nashville visit.

Please, cease acting as if your opinion is shared by everyone else. He doesn't have to convince others, most are fully capable of being reasonable.

I didn't think BEEF was doing that. What I thought he was doing was stating the fact that Saban is a jerk and Don Shula is considered by many to be a very classy guy.

I didn't think BEEF was doing that. What I thought he was doing was stating the fact that Saban is a jerk and Don Shula is considered by many to be a very classy guy.

Opinions aren't facts.

You are right. I should have typed the following.

The fact that many find Saban to be a jerk and most view Don Shula as a very classy guy.

Better?

No.

I don't think you've done the proper laywork to classify "most view Don Shula as a very classy guy" as a fact. I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of the world has no idea who he is. Over 50% of Americans probably don't even know who he is.

I forget if it was PTI or ATH today that I was watching...

People are bringing up the recruiting point with Saban. Saying kids will get hearsay about Saban being untrustworthy. Last I checked, the only people badmouthing Saban are Don Shula and his general constituency. Shula, who happens to be at least partly responsible for putting the buffoon that just got canned from Bama in Tuscaloosa, in the first place.

Assuming they stop sucking in two years, the Tide will have Saban as their head coach until somebody else comes along and offers a ridiculous amount of money for his coaching services. Even then, Bama can afford to match (and beat) any salary and athletics program or NFL franchise could offer him.

VN Store

Back