If we lose to Arkansas, where does that put Pruitt and the fanbase?

I think the problem fans have lies here:

Kiffin HC record before Tennessee: 5-15
Dooley HC record before Tennessee: 17-20
Butch record before Tennessee: 50-27
Pruitt record before Tennessee: 0-0

If we would have got Schiano: 80-88.

As you can see, Tennessee has only hired one coach since Fulmer that has a winning record.

Fans are constantly being told to rely on these coaches to turn the program around.

Tennessee has the money, facilities, and always recruits decent.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I think the problem fans have lies here:

Kiffin HC record before Tennessee: 5-15
Dooley HC record before Tennessee: 17-20
Butch record before Tennessee: 50-27
Pruitt record before Tennessee: 0-0

If we would have got Schiano: 80-88.

As you can see, Tennessee has only hired one coach since Fulmer that has a winning record.

Fans are constantly being told to rely on these coaches to turn the program around.

Tennessee has the money, facilities, and always recruits decent.
I think one problem we have now as years continue to go by since TN was getting national attention and we keep firing coaches every couple of years...real coaches wouldn’t want to come here and we aren’t willing to back up the money truck to make them change their mind

They wont. JG will take all the first team reps and the backups won't get ****. Pruitt is straight ass.

And when jg really stinks the field up again he will use a back up and wonder why they don't look as good as he thinks they should with little or no 1st team reps. I think Pruitt has his mind made up to stick with jg the rest of the year and next year as well.

I agree with you, we cannot keep firing a coach every 3-4 years and starting over. Look at KY, they have clearly always been a basketball school and football was just kinda there. They hire Stoops and give him time and now they are a upper middle of the pack SEC team instead of a lower tier SEC school. I think we have to give Pruitt 5 years minimum, we were a dumpster fire when he arrived (and maybe still are).
You know Mizzu beat them yesterday?

I am concerned that this exact fear is why CJP would keep JG as starting QB. You really have to view it the other way. What do you have to lose with a new QB?

This. Exactly this. What do we (and Pruitt) have to lose and what do we have to gain by playing another QB the rest of this season? It seems like Pruitt might be playing skeert if he sticks with JG as our only option...i.e. playing not to lose.

Reactions: spyfish007
I’m getting dejavu every couple of years regardless of the HC, staff, or players we have and the results seem to always end up the same. We get frustrated with lack of results, we demand a new coach eventually, and then we rinse and repeat all over again.

If we come off a bye week and lose to Arkansas (who has been a dumpster fire more than us in previous years, but doing well in year 1 with a new HC and a transfer qb), where does that put Pruitt and volnation?

I know it’s a covid year and we just played Georgia and Bama in the last 3 games, but the Kentucky game and others questionable things are starting to eat at the fanbase.

Last year we somehow went on a long winning streak to end the season but of course the remaining games this year are going to be more challenging and also ending with Florida which is going to either potentially save the season if we win or leave a bad taste in our mouths in the entire off season and the hot seat gets warmer again.

Where do we go from here to eventually get different results? Give the staff more time to see if they can finally get the ship going in the right directions, or in a couple of years punt and get a new coach and think things will be different the next time around?

I think this is going to be a long rebuild regardless of the coach. There are some questionable things happening at times but are we too quick to start thinking about coaching searches once again and thinking anything will be different if we hit the reset button? I’m also beginning to think the more we fire our coaches after a couple of seasons, the less real coaches would want to come here.

All I know is I want us to be good again. How we get there I don’t know but I’m getting tired of the cycle which ends up the same way

If we lose to Arkansas, it ruins any argument that Pruitt needed more time and that we are headed in the right direction. Frankly the pummeling by KY says plenty IMO. To keep JG as a starter is incredible. Pruitt is looking more and more like a DC who worked for programs where that is all he had to think about. He didn’t hire his LB, DL, secondary and strength & conditioning coaches. Saban did and Jimbo did, and Pruitt had zero to do with offenses. I don’t care if he was a QB in highscooooo, this is SEC football.

So we need to hire a super coach to coach the coach that makes over 4m per year? Yeah, I don’t see that happening. Just fire the one that is crappy at coaching and hire a quality coach, not some grab bag up and comer.

Sounds simple. Its not. No good HC is going to look at TN given how we have treated our previous HCs. If Pruitt doesnt end up turning things around, then it will be another coordinator hire.

Reactions: Volbrando
In my opinion, the Kentucky game this year and the debacle with Georgia State last year, tell me a lot about Coach Pruitt. I don't understand how this team ran off a 6 game winning streak during the 2nd half of the season last year? I base it on what I'm seeing the first half of the 2020 season. Tennessee has REGRESSED big time this year... The gap with Bama is like the Grand Canyon or larger! Last year against Bama, we had a chance and should have made it a one score game, until JG decided to try and score a TD on his own at the goaline, fumbled and Bama runs it back 100 yards for their own TD, and a comfortable win of 35-13.. BUT, at the end of the Bama game last year, I thought ok, we were right there, should have been 28-20, with 6 or 7 minutes left in the game.. My point is the gap was much closer last year, and now we have been knocked on our butts my Bama, UGA and of all teams Kentucky!! I think the best we do is 4-6, with wins over Vandy and Arkansas, however, I have no confidence that the Vols will do that, so it won't surprise me if we lose out and finish 2-8 or maybe we one of the two games between Vandy and Arky, and go 3-7. I don't see us winning at Auburn this year, Florida has too many offensive weapons and will score at will on us, and A&M has a more competent coach in Jimbo Fisher, and more talent at this point, in my opinion. I think Pruitt will not be terminated though until at earliest, after the 2022 season..

Last edited:
Doubt it’ll matter. We’re broke and won’t see a change for at least 2-4 years unless he turns it around.

I agree with you, we cannot keep firing a coach every 3-4 years and starting over. Look at KY, they have clearly always been a basketball school and football was just kinda there. They hire Stoops and give him time and now they are a upper middle of the pack SEC team instead of a lower tier SEC school. I think we have to give Pruitt 5 years minimum, we were a dumpster fire when he arrived (and maybe still are).

Stoops had one good year at Kensucky at 10-3 all the others were Butch worthy or worse. Was hoping that a UT coach would not have a .500% winning record like Stoops after he has been at UT as long as Stoops has been at KY.

Some will defend no matter what.
Some will start to catch on.
Some will be even more frustrated.
I would enjoy the win.....as for Pruitt....it wouldn’t be better or worse depending....in no way.

Win - good......I expect you to.
Lose - sucks.....but I already don’t think your the guy.

Simple. Lose to Arkansas. Get fired after the game. No business losing to that team. Period.

VN Store

Back