If we lose to Arkansas, where does that put Pruitt and the fanbase?

I just hope they use this bye week to get either Maurer or Bailey all the reps they can handle and have then ready for that game. JG isn't the answer, since they refuse to let him throw on third and long. Defense needs to step it up as well. O-Line actually played decent all things considered, and way better in pass protection at least. Wide receivers were pretty good. Running backs were not great. Several chances to break tackles in open space, plus the fumble by gray.

Secondary was not good outside of Thompson, but even he missed two chances at interceptions that would have taken 14 points off the board. We're talking about this game way differently if it was 34-17. Defensive line player better, but had several chances at tackles for a loss and just couldn't make the tackle. That has to get fixed immediately. 2 and 12 is so much better than even 2-7, yet we often times let it be worse than that.
They wont. JG will take all the first team reps and the backups won't get ****. Pruitt is straight ass.

Alabama and Georgia look like they are in a different league.

Before the year, I thought progress was beating all the teams you are supposed to and winning a matchup or two against “equal” or “better” opponents.

After Missouri, I thought they were well in their way to sweeping the teams they are supposed to beat.

Then Kentucky happened

Kentucky is what has thrown all this; it's this year's Georgia St. so to speak. If that didn't happen, yeah people would be upset we got beaten badly by UGA and Alabama but like you said, they are on another level.

But getting smoked at home by a UK team that turns around and lays a big egg at Missouri......yeah that's bad.

According to the Vol fan base, it is impossible to have the team rally around a coach in his first few years. Coach needs to recruit his own players and get rid of the losing culture.
Yea the losing culture definitely isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. What I can’t understand is he won’t play the players he’s brought in very much.It’s mind boggling especially given the circumstances of this season

Yea the losing culture definitely isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. What I can’t understand is he won’t play the players he’s brought in very much.It’s mind boggling especially given the circumstances of this season

He is a stubborn redneck who has achieved his Peter Principle. He has been promoted to his incompetence level. Unfortunately his ego wont allow change.

And Tennessee refuses to do anything besides crash and burn before we make a change to ANOTHER incompetent, up and coming, bargain hire.

I'm just about done.

I agree with you, we cannot keep firing a coach every 3-4 years and starting over. Look at KY, they have clearly always been a basketball school and football was just kinda there. They hire Stoops and give him time and now they are a upper middle of the pack SEC team instead of a lower tier SEC school. I think we have to give Pruitt 5 years minimum, we were a dumpster fire when he arrived (and maybe still are).
Giving more time to coaches who have done plenty to prove they can't handle is not the answer. Shouldn't be getting blown out by Kentucky in year 3 after losing to Ga State and BYU also at Neyland in year 2. Bet Butch just needed til year 8 to get us where we wanted, right?

Is it possible to end an 8 game win streak followed by a 5 or 6 game losing streak???
Only if the coaches and team are split......I don’t care what/how your schedule falls, if the team is actually improving, you should never lose 3 games in a row by more than 3 TDs. Trouble in paradise...

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby
I’m getting dejavu every couple of years regardless of the HC, staff, or players we have and the results seem to always end up the same. We get frustrated with lack of results, we demand a new coach eventually, and then we rinse and repeat all over again.

If we come off a bye week and lose to Arkansas (who has been a dumpster fire more than us in previous years, but doing well in year 1 with a new HC and a transfer qb), where does that put Pruitt and volnation?

I know it’s a covid year and we just played Georgia and Bama in the last 3 games, but the Kentucky game and others questionable things are starting to eat at the fanbase.

Last year we somehow went on a long winning streak to end the season but of course the remaining games this year are going to be more challenging and also ending with Florida which is going to either potentially save the season if we win or leave a bad taste in our mouths in the entire off season and the hot seat gets warmer again.

Where do we go from here to eventually get different results? Give the staff more time to see if they can finally get the ship going in the right directions, or in a couple of years punt and get a new coach and think things will be different the next time around?

I think this is going to be a long rebuild regardless of the coach. There are some questionable things happening at times but are we too quick to start thinking about coaching searches once again and thinking anything will be different if we hit the reset button? I’m also beginning to think the more we fire our coaches after a couple of seasons, the less real coaches would want to come here.

All I know is I want us to be good again. How we get there I don’t know but I’m getting tired of the cycle which ends up the same way

Arkansas took an interesting path. By hiring two very good coordinators it made it that much easier of a transition for Pittman.

Surprised more schools haven’t done this.

Arkansas took an interesting path. By hiring two very good coordinators it made it that much easier of a transition for Pittman.

It’s sort of what LSU did with Coach O. But the problem is if you hire great coordinators they’ll eventually be hired away so you have to constantly hope you can replace them with equally great coaches.

The model does leave more money to pay them with though and it helps having a head coach who coordinators really enjoy working for. Plus the HC can put more time toward recruiting personally if he’s not as hands-on with the gameplan.

I am concerned that this exact fear is why CJP would keep JG as starting QB. You really have to view it the other way. What do you have to lose with a new QB?
I see no way that Ark being a must win game on the road that Pruitt would start anyone other than JG.....Hell, yesterday we are down 4 TD's midway through the 4th and JG was still in there. Just don't see it.

I see no way that Ark being a must win game on the road that Pruitt would start anyone other than JG.....Hell, yesterday we are down 4 TD's midway through the 4th and JG was still in there. Just don't see it.
So you see no scenario where the wheels come off the bus if we lose at Arkansas? 3 SEC losses in a row? Negative momentum? Nothing?

So you see no scenario where the wheels come off the bus if we lose at Arkansas? 3 SEC losses in a row? Negative momentum? Nothing?
Of course they will....I am saying I see no way Pruitt starts anyone other than JG on the road against Ark.....Pruitt has shown time after time that JG is his QB....Why would he play someone else all of a sudden? He showed yesterday down 4 TDs he has no concern of getting another QB ready to start.....Maurer came in to hand the ball off with a little over 2 minutes left in the game.

I will be shocked if JG doesn't get the start against Ark.

Of course they will....I am saying I see no way Pruitt starts anyone other than JG on the road against Ark.....Pruitt has shown time after time that JG is his QB....Why would he play someone else all of a sudden? He showed yesterday down 4 TDs he has no concern of getting another QB ready to start.....Maurer came in to hand the ball off with a little over 2 minutes left in the game.

I will be shocked if JG doesn't get the start against Ark.
Ok well my conversation was about fear. It really wasn't about JG. My point was that fear would add to the reasons that JG would still start.

The next three games will tell the real story of this season............

I could see Tennessee beating Arkansas and Auburn while losing to Texas A&M.

This is a key bye week.

We decided to give our first time head coach help by hiring two first time coordinators. Bama sure did look good in the playoffs, though.

VN Store

Back