If we go 8-4?

STFU with this math is hard bs. I know exactly what happened in these games. We would have come back, tied it, and won in overtime against Bama.

Sure sparky. You keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, the rest of us will deal with the reality of where our football program was last year and where it appears to be heading. I'm optimistic about 2015, I think we get in the 8-9 win range for the first time since 2008....but I'm not willing to engage in some revisionist or ridiculous Pollyanna type remembrance of last year's team that is void of reality. Last year was a decent step in the right direction with a strong finish after an up and down season that saw some good wins and bad/decisive losses, 3 of which were vs Oklahoma, Bama and OleMiss.

Reactions: 1 person
Put the bong down. For those of you who don't know, Nationdom is actually serious.....this is not some type of parody or sarcasm.

We lost to OU by 24, Ole Miss by 31 and Bama by 14, after scrambling to make up a 27-0 deficit. That's an average of 23 ppg.

Damn near beat Oklahoma....HAHAHA!!!

Please stop blaming Nationdom's idiocy on bongs.

Sincerely,

pot smokers everywhere.

:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Couldn't be more wrong. Drubbing at OU? We damn near beat them. We should have beaten ole miss as well and Alabama barely escaped as well. Get real brah. 9 wins this year is a gimme with our talent. I would be disappointed at 8 reg season wins.

uhh we did not "damn near beat" oklahoma. Don't know why you think that

Thankfully, the opinions of those who have a bearing on Jones status at UT, share little with yours.

Your post shows me SJT was right. I dislike when people refute with "Well good thing the people in power don't agree..." nonsense.

That logic is dumb. Those people, while not the exact same, hired Dooley, Kiffin, Martin, etc.

I'll never be happy until we win the national title.

I hope you're just kidding, but for the sake of all that know you, I'd lower my standards just a pinch. My weekly moods used to rise and fall with what happened on Saturday afternoon/night in the fall. Then I got married, had 3 kids, lost my dad and.....the outcome is not a long-term attitude "game-changer" anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
8-4 plus bowl win 9-4, would be extremely impressive, tough schedule and still a very young squad.... almost as good as my math skills shown above

If we go 8-4 how upset/happy will the fan base be? I think that 8-4 will be a pretty solid season! I would be real happy with that. Just curious what everybody wants/expects.
8-4 is the measuring stick imo. Add 9 wins witha bowl and it was a successful season

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfoorest View Post
If we go 8-4 how upset/happy will the fan base be? I think that 8-4 will be a pretty solid season! I would be real happy with that. Just curious what everybody wants/expects.

8-4 is the measuring stick imo. Add 9 wins witha bowl and it was a successful season

How would we respond to 9 reg season wins -- with losses only to OU, AL and Mizz/AK -- plus a bowl loss = 9-4??

I think 7 wins and a win in a bowl game is the floor. More that that would be great. Some of it depends on who we lose to and if the losses are blowouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfoorest View Post

How would we respond to 9 reg season wins -- with losses only to OU, AL and Mizz/AK -- plus a bowl loss = 9-4??
I meant getting a 9th win in the bowl game.

If we go 8-4, I will neither be happy nor particularly upset. However, I will start to seriously question whether Butch has what it takes to win championships if we finish only 8-4. To me an 8-4 type season signals that at best Butch Jones is going to be comparable to Mark Richt and at worst, comparable to Jim Donnan. In other words, an 8-4 season to me signals that we will be back to winning a lot of games and regularly being ranked in the top 25, but don't count on any national championships and SEC championships will also be few and far between. If we win 10 games or more and compete for and/or win the SEC championship, than we may just have ourselves another Nick Saban or Urban Meyer type coach on our hands. A 9-3 season probably signals something in between.

The reason I come to this conclusion is that we have the talent to beat everyone on our schedule next season, and we will have more talent than most of the teams that we face with the primary exceptions being Alabama and Georgia. As such, in my view an 8-4 season signals that Butch can not get his players to play up to their full potential. A 10-2 or better season signals that not only can Butch recruit, but he can also coach is players up!

Go Vols!

This is how I look at it. If you're asking 8 wins:
You hope UT doesnt drop a game they should win.
That would mean losing their toughest 4 games: Bama, Georgia, Missouri and lets say Oklahoma.
That means beating Florida FINALLY, beating Spurrier all 3 times and beating a possibly strong Arkansas team (or flop with Oklahoma, either way its a great win) and taking care of Vandy and UK.
I think that's

This is how I look at it. If you're asking 8 wins:
You hope UT doesnt drop a game they should win.
That would mean losing their toughest 4 games: Bama, Georgia, Missouri and lets say Oklahoma.
That means beating Florida FINALLY, beating Spurrier all 3 times and beating a possibly strong Arkansas team (or flop with Oklahoma, either way its a great win) and taking care of Vandy and UK.
I think that's the kind of progress we expect and hope for. I for one would be estatic with tthose wins.

If we go 8-4, I will neither be happy nor particularly upset. However, I will start to seriously question whether Butch has what it takes to win championships if we finish only 8-4. To me an 8-4 type season signals that at best Butch Jones is going to be comparable to Mark Richt and at worst, comparable to Jim Donnan. In other words, an 8-4 season to me signals that we will be back to winning a lot of games and regularly being ranked in the top 25, but don't count on any national championships and SEC championships will also be few and far between. If we win 10 games or more and compete for and/or win the SEC championship, than we may just have ourselves another Nick Saban or Urban Meyer type coach on our hands. A 9-3 season probably signals something in between.

The reason I come to this conclusion is that we have the talent to beat everyone on our schedule next season, and we will have more talent than most of the teams that we face with the primary exceptions being Alabama and Georgia. As such, in my view an 8-4 season signals that Butch can not get his players to play up to their full potential. A 10-2 or better season signals that not only can Butch recruit, but he can also coach is players up!

Go Vols!

Butch may not be the answer, but not winning 10 games next year doesn't give me any reason ti doubt Butch can win championship games. The schedule is brutal and the OL is still far from good and Dobbs must improve for this team to take that kind of leap.
I wish people would stop dogging Richt. You would kill to have his success the last several miserable years.
O wait, we did have his success, and as did kill that success. Georgia fans should be thankful they've been one of the few programs who have consistent success. Maybe watch UT go down in flames is why Richt kept his job.

Go Vols!

10 wins would take a lot of luck...no injuries in thin positions, and the football bouncing UT's way an unnatural number of times.

8-4 is what I'm predicting.

Wins

Bowling Green
South Carolina
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Arkansas
Western Carolina
North Texas

Losses

Oklahoma
Florida
Georgia
Alabama

8-4 is what I'm predicting.

Wins

Bowling Green
South Carolina
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Arkansas
Western Carolina
North Texas

Losses

Oklahoma
Florida
Georgia
Alabama

Difficult to argue with this list. Only thing, I could see us having an easier time beating Georgia than Arkansas. For whatever reason, we play Georgia well. Plus, they'll have a new QB and a new OC/system. Arkansas on the other hand returns their QB who was pretty good last year. They also have a very good, physical running game and defense. I see them as the more difficult matchup.

Go Vols!

Whoa Nellie! We go from 5-7 to 7-6 and you expect to win 10 games all of a sudden? With the schedule we have there are at least 4 games that we could easily be underdogs in ( Oklahoma, Georgia, Bama and Arkansas), 3 toss up games (Mizzou, FL and SC) with minimal injuries I could see us winning maybe 9 games but we are 1 injury away (Josh Dobbs) from being a .500 team. I say let's be satisfied with 8 wins this year and knock the door down in 2016 with 10 wins

I would take 8-4 (with a bowl win) and be happy wI think it. Continued progress, builds momentum, builds evidence that Butch is building something, and doing it the right way. I do need wins against FL and GA, though.

Can we do better? Yeah, I believe we could, I really believe 2 or 3 losses are possible. More than 4 and I am getting a little concerned (based on what our injury situation is).

Now, if we are not top 10-15 in 2016, I will be concerneD if we can make next step. But that is another year later.

So which Bowl would you rather have Tennessee go to: The Outback Bowl or the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl?

VN Store

Back