If we go 8-4?

I disagree that UT's problems in these areas are abnormal compared to other programs at this point... probably somewhat better than the majority.

But let's play along and say you are right. If after 3 years these areas are still problems.... Why?

Let me help him. Jones first class of recruits are Sophomores. Gotta keep ya honest, sorry.

8-4 should calm down every negavol, but it won't.

Personally, making a C was never a very big "thrill" for me. It was tolerable or slightly disappointing... not failure but not really "success" either.

Eight wins with THIS roster against THIS schedule would be a "C". Which brings us back to the question that divides people here. We aren't divided by "negavol" vs "posivol" so much as between those with lower expectations and those with higher ones. Those with lower expectations invariably resort to calling more demanding fans "negavols" because they aren't giddy over Jones giving them a "C".... or even a "D".

I think Jones CAN do better than 8... and frankly that he will. But that's based on what he did before getting to UT, not since.

Let me help him. Jones first class of recruits are Sophomores. Gotta keep ya honest, sorry.
No. He was set up poorly but HE signed the '13 class. Stating something that is objectively FALSE isn't keeping anything or anyone honest.

Dooley set him up poorly... but he still chose to sign the guys who signed.

But... gotta keep ya honest.... Dobbs, Foreman, North, Smith, Vereen, Sutton, and Wiesman came out of that class. That's 7 players who started before their Jr year.... Sutton, Dobbs, North, and Smith are All SEC potential players.

Not exactly the "lost class" that you and so many others try to claim.

And the irrefutable fact is that UT returns 39 of the 44 in their 2 deep. That is by definition an experienced roster... with experienced depth.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh, Jenkins came out of that class too but decided to leave for unknown reasons.

:lol:

Just thought about it. A few weeks ago, I was getting lambasted for saying that the unusually high attrition was a problem. Now... predictably... the people who were saying it wasn't a big problem are saying that "depth" is a potentially crippling problem.

You can't have it both ways. Either attrition isn't a problem or depth isn't a problem. Regardless of the reason, when you lose players who have either started or played significant minutes at positions that are now thin... it IS a problem.

In 2012 Mizzou went 5-7 while playing 5 top-25 teams, in 2013 they went 10-2 while playing 7 top-25 teams. Teams can and do make the jump from around .500 clubs to championship caliber in one off season. Just they same can and do drop from double digit wins to .500 teams in no time.

I understand we are young and I know we have holes but so does every team in the country, thats part of college football. At some point you stop making excuses and start expecting to win.

Personally, making a C was never a very big "thrill" for me. It was tolerable or slightly disappointing... not failure but not really "success" either.

Eight wins with THIS roster against THIS schedule would be a "C". Which brings us back to the question that divides people here. We aren't divided by "negavol" vs "posivol" so much as between those with lower expectations and those with higher ones. Those with lower expectations invariably resort to calling more demanding fans "negavols" because they aren't giddy over Jones giving them a "C".... or even a "D".

I think Jones CAN do better than 8... and frankly that he will. But that's based on what he did before getting to UT, not since.

Depth is still an serious issue...to the point that the incoming class is expected to be a major contributor in playing time. Until that is addressed (2016 season) 8-4 should not be considered a "C" season.

It is going to take some luck, mostly the non-injury type, to make 8-4.

No. He was set up poorly but HE signed the '13 class. Stating something that is objectively FALSE isn't keeping anything or anyone honest.

Dooley set him up poorly... but he still chose to sign the guys who signed.

But... gotta keep ya honest.... Dobbs, Foreman, North, Smith, Vereen, Sutton, and Wiesman came out of that class. That's 7 players who started before their Jr year.... Sutton, Dobbs, North, and Smith are All SEC potential players.

Not exactly the "lost class" that you and so many others try to claim.

And the irrefutable fact is that UT returns 39 of the 44 in their 2 deep. That is by definition an experienced roster... with experienced depth.

Thankfully, the opinions of those who have a bearing on Jones status at UT, share little with yours.

:lol:

Just thought about it. A few weeks ago, I was getting lambasted for saying that the unusually high attrition was a problem. Now... predictably... the people who were saying it wasn't a big problem are saying that "depth" is a potentially crippling problem.

You can't have it both ways. Either attrition isn't a problem or depth isn't a problem. Regardless of the reason, when you lose players who have either started or played significant minutes at positions that are now thin... it IS a problem.

You can have it both ways...for example let's say UT has 20 WRs. 12 decide to leave. Would there be a depth issue at WR?

The is a depth problem but mostly on the O/D lines.

8-4 is success because the program is getting better. Tennessee isn't going to go to 10-2 or 11-1 in one or even two seasons

I'd be happy with 8-4 if you add in a nice bowl win to get to nine. 8-4 with a bowl loss would still mean W-L improvement, so I'd be okay with that, but not thrilled.

Close to 10 wins in 2014? No offense train, but I didn't see it that way at all. Through 8 games we were 3-5. Among those losses was a 24 drubbing at Oklahoma, a 31 point beat down at OleMiss and 2 TD loss vs Bama in which were losing 27-0 at one point. As great as the SCar comeback win was, that was a 50/50 game at best that required 2 tds in 4 plus minutes and an overtime. Then mix in an embarrassing squeaker at Vandy and one could easily say that not only were we light years away from 10 wins, we were fortunate to get to 6.

8 regular season wins this year, imo, with the schedule we have, would be the appropriate expectation and a good year. Anything less a disappointment, anything more a great year.

Couldn't be more wrong. Drubbing at OU? We damn near beat them. We should have beaten ole miss as well and Alabama barely escaped as well. Get real brah. 9 wins this year is a gimme with our talent. I would be disappointed at 8 reg season wins.

Couldn't be more wrong. Drubbing at OU? We damn near beat them. We should have beaten ole miss as well and Alabama barely escaped as well. Get real brah. 9 wins this year is a gimme with our talent. I would be disappointed at 8 reg season wins.

Put the bong down. For those of you who don't know, Nationdom is actually serious.....this is not some type of parody or sarcasm.

We lost to OU by 24, Ole Miss by 31 and Bama by 14, after scrambling to make up a 27-0 deficit. That's an average of 23 ppg.

Damn near beat Oklahoma....HAHAHA!!!

Put the bong down. For those of you who don't know, Nationdom is actually serious.....this is not some type of parody or sarcasm.

We lost to OU by 24, Ole Miss by 31 and Bama by 14, after scrambling to make up a 27-0 deficit. That's an average of 23 ppg.

I don't smoke, and I'm dead serious. Did you watch the game? That game was a hell of a lot closer to the final score. Basically 2 lucky plays and a BS call. If Dobbs plays agaisnt Ole miss, we beat them. Their Offense couldn't do anything but eventually they wore our d out because Worley couldn't do a damn thing. Alabama had to come up with a big clock draining drive in the 4th to seal that game. If we stop them there we win that game at Neyland.

I think the majority of the fan base would be happy at 8-4 as long as we go 2 - 2 versus UF, Bama, UGA and Oklahoma.

I don't smoke, and I'm dead serious. Did you watch the game? That game was a hell of a lot closer to the final score. Basically 2 lucky plays and a BS call. If Dobbs plays agaisnt Ole miss, we beat them. Their Offense couldn't do anything but eventually they wore our d out because Worley couldn't do a damn thing. Alabama had to come up with a big clock draining drive in the 4th to seal that game. If we stop them there we win that game at Neyland.

We did a good job of trying to claw back in the game at OU after trailing 27-7 in the 3rd quarter. They were in complete control of the line of scrimmage most of the game and Worley was fortunate to escape with his life.

Ole Miss was our worst loss all season. I love me some Dobbs, but I seriously doubt he would've made a 31 or difference. They doubled us up in total yards and forced us into 4 turnovers....that game wasn't remotely close from the 5:00 mark of the second quarter on.

Kudos to Dobbs and the boys for fighting to climb out of that 27-0 hole that sealed the game early. Got within 10, was fortunate that Bama fumbled at the half yard line on a great play by Cam otherwise we lose 41-20. Btw, if your argument is that we would've won the game vs Bama if Bama hadn't answered our long scoring drive with one their own (13 play 79 yards) then go right ahead....appreciate you making my point for me.

And another btw....we only scored 20 Pts.... if they hadn't scored on that long drive, they still beat us by 7 Pts, 27-20. Math is hard.

No kidding...

As if Bama, Ole Miss and OK were actually taking us seriously last year. They were all looking towards their real games after our spot on the schedule and still trucked us.

We did a good job of trying to claw back in the game at OU after trailing 27-7 in the 3rd quarter. They were in complete control of the line of scrimmage most of the game and Worley was fortunate to escape with his life.

Ole Miss was our worst loss all season. I love me some Dobbs, but I seriously doubt he would've made a 31 or difference. They doubled us up in total yards and forced us into 4 turnovers....that game wasn't remotely close from the 5:00 mark of the second quarter on.

Kudos to Dobbs and the boys for fighting to climb out of that 27-0 hole that sealed the game early. Got within 10, was fortunate that Bama fumbled at the half yard line on a great play by Cam otherwise we lose 41-20. Btw, if your argument is that we would've won the game vs Bama if Bama hadn't answered our long scoring drive with one their own (13 play 79 yards) then go right ahead....appreciate you making my point for me.

And another btw....we only scored 20 Pts.... if they hadn't scored on that long drive, they still beat us by 7 Pts, 27-20. Math is hard.

STFU with this math is hard bs. I know exactly what happened in these games. We would have come back, tied it, and won in overtime against Bama.

There's no way this is serious.

VN Store

Back