If UT had to give up a tradition, which one?

Yeah. And in my answer at post #138 or so, I didn't even mention other considerations that contributed to Nebraska's decision.

For instance, there has been a low-grade environmental group denunciation of balloon releases for decades. The complaint is that the balloons rise high in the air, expand, and eventually pop. Then the helium escapes (eventually into space, lost forever from our perspective) while the latex rubber falls back to earth. Where it settles in streams and lakes, or on farm fields, or in the canopy of forests, there to remain as a hazard to animals and a contaminant in the soil for months or years.

Anyway, Nebraska (and everyone else who regularly release large numbers of balloons) have been getting a ration of grief from the environmental groups over this. Never enough on its own to force an abandonment of the tradition. But just another small weight, another contributing factor, that helped make their decision as the price of helium is expected to continue to rocket up.

It never seems to be just one thing; always a compound of factors that brings about the end of traditions.

OR

that's just the way the world is supposed to progress and HAS progressed up until now. As we learn more about the world through science, we start viewing the world differently. It's not about killing people's way of doing things. It's just about putting the things we learn as a society to use.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Hot take, but if I had to pick an actual tradition to get rid of it would be the Vol Walk. Tennessee is by no means the only school or one of a handful of schools to do it, and Tennessee wasn't the first to do it. That, combined with the fact that I've been to a few and have always thought of it as a "I could take it or leave it" kind of activity

The school colors, the Volunteers name, Smokey, Rocky Top, or Running through the T, are untouchable.

I always kind of took the Vol Walk as a "gateway drug" to becoming a UT fan.

I remember going to Vol Walks well before I had any concept or understanding of football. Kids love a parade.

I would absolutely give up the tradition of sending countries 40 billion dollars.

I would give that money to White and let him continue to literally build back better.

Remove the woo. And if you're caught using the woo you are removed from the stadium and pelted with mustard bottles and golf balls

we havent been relevant since the woo started

Cue Ric Flair doing the "woo" on jumbotron during appropriate moment in song to alleviate all "woo" concerns.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It's already been said many times but losing to UF is starting to be a tradition. It doesn't matter who their coach is or the lack of talent. We insist on losing to them yearly.

Hot take, but if I had to pick an actual tradition to get rid of it would be the Vol Walk. Tennessee is by no means the only school or one of a handful of schools to do it, and Tennessee wasn't the first to do it. That, combined with the fact that I've been to a few and have always thought of it as a "I could take it or leave it" kind of activity

The school colors, the Volunteers name, Smokey, Rocky Top, or Running through the T, are untouchable.

Vol Walk gives the fans a chance to connect with the players without having to pay a fee or even be admitted to the game. It’s very special when the teams are special. I’ve spoken with, high fived and shaken hands with PM, Big Al, J Henderson, both Travises, EB, Jason W, Fulmer, Cut, and the list goes on and on. Ill take those experiences over an autograph any day

[QUOTE="DaddyChad, post: 21292999, member: 20588"]Losing to Florida and Bama every year is a tradition I’d like to give up.[/QUOTE]

Underrated post

Reactions: OneVolNation
Someone fill me in on what all of the "Traditions" are:
Vol Walk
Running through the T
Playing Rocky Top after every score
Checker Neyland?
Pushups by the cheerleaders after every score. (I could give this one up)
Smokey at the games
tailgating before/after games
scoring 30+ points against FL and still losing
What else are traditions??????

Edit: is "Woo" a Tradition? I know it has been done for over 10 years.
-Neyland’s Maxims before the game
-Touching the “I will give my all for Tennessee” sign before/when walking out of the locker room and onto the field
-The band playing the visiting team’s fight song before the game as a showing of southern hospitality
-…the fans booing their own band while it’s playing the visiting team’s fight song before the game as a showing of southern hospitality

-…I guess the “we ask that you pay these prices and pay no more”

Also, is the push-ups by the cheerleaders really a tradition all that unique to UT? I feel like a lot (if not most) cheerleading squads at schools at both the college and high school level have the male cheerleaders do this after scores.

VN Store

Back