If Florida played Tennessee 12x, would they be 12-0?

Yes. We would definitely be 12-0. Could you pass me the ashtray please? The ashes are about to fall off my HIndu Kush.

What is sad, most Vol fans had us beating them bad this year, I never felt good about it. And yes I've got people who will verify this.

Agree with last part, bring on realignment. The SEC East was a disaster for Tennessee as a program. We came into 1992 the strongest program in the SEC East and we just got punked by Florida and/or Georgia almost every year.

In reality, if you went of program histories in 1992, people would have assumed Tennessee would have been as dominant in the East as Alabama has been in the West. Instead, our program melted into a second-tier SEC program. A lot of it had to do with the failures in the September matchup with Florida.
Truthfully though, as of 1992 we hadn't been consistently the strongest team out of the newly formed East in a while. When the sport integrated the balance tipped in favor of Georgia and Florida, who had larger African American populations and thus more in state talent. NIL has a chance to tip the scales back in our direction but hasn't done so yet with both UGA and UF outrecruiting us currently. It'll be interesting to see if UF can hang on to their class given what kind of year they are having.

Reactions: volbound1700
Truthfully though, as of 1992 we hadn't been consistently the strongest team out of the newly formed East in a while. When the sport integrated the balance tipped in favor of Georgia and Florida, who had larger African American populations and thus more in state talent. NIL has a chance to tip the scales back in our direction but hasn't done so yet with both UGA and UF outrecruiting us currently. It'll be interesting to see if UF can hang on to their class given what kind of year they are having.

Some good points, even some that I didn't think about, in this post.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
What is sad, most Vol fans had us beating them bad this year, I never felt good about it. And yes I've got people who will verify this.

We should have, on paper we are a better team and if you look at the season since then, that has held true. The loss to Florida this year is unexplainable.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I think what has hurt us against UF is playing them so early in the season. It seems the swamp being our first real road test is not ideal. If we played UF instead of Mizzou tomorrow I'd imagine we'd be 9-12 point favorites.

This. A lot of the fan base still lives in the 50s. There's at least 4 other teams in the conference that are better located recruiting wise plus clemson recruits the same areas. A&M joining didn't help and with Texas and sooners coming its not going to get better.

I've heard the "if we played them later! " excuse for decades. Does Florida start playing in July and are battle tested or something cause last I looked they play the same number of games as us. That's on the coaches if the players aren't ready. They own us for whatever reason. Same as we've owned KY even the few times they were actually better

We can really get creative in ways to lose to UF

Phantom TD catch.

Forget to block their DE and allow 5 unimpeded sacks.

Fumble the center QB exchange 5 times

Etc, etc,etc..
It's one of the great mysteries, no doubt.

What I don't understand is why opposing teams don't just dress some random Joe in a Florida uniform and have him stand on the sidelines when we play them.

As soon as we see that uniform we completely forget how to play football.

If anyone had a logical reason as to why we cannot beat Florida on any kind of basis I am all ears. I am completely lost when it comes to why we cannot beat UF.
Genuinely curious if it’s some curse or maybe Phil made a deal with the devil to get his one championship idk but it defies logic so I’m beginning to go supernatural lol

If anyone had a logical reason as to why we cannot beat Florida on any kind of basis I am all ears. I am completely lost when it comes to why we cannot beat UF.

I agree. Sure, I will say most of the time over the last 10-15 years, Florida has legitimately had the better team on the field but it doesn't account for 2014-2016, 2021, or 2022. All of those years, Tennessee had probably a better team on the field.

2002 was another year that stood out as a WTF loss. The Peyton Manning era (not winning once) also stung.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
One thing this thread is ignoring is Heup's teams on the road. If we are honest with ourselves, they are not great. While I truly think we can beat anyone in Neyland when we go to Gainesville, Columbia, SC, Athens, Tuscaloosa, etc we get beat. Don't kill the messenger here. It is just a fact.

Reactions: volbound1700
Sadly, the years that Florida beat us, those games repeated 12x under the exact same circumstances, I feel like they get us 11 or 12 times out of 12. The games we won, eh...50/50. Just glad that we won when we did. If we theoretically played Florida every week for 12 weeks I would expect us to be on the losing end most years, occasionally win the season by a game or two.
Don't like what you say,,, but I agree...:(

So the total series is 32 to 21 in favor of the Gators. I would say except from 1992 to 2002 after those 10 years UF had better players than us, Florida just has better HS players (It was still close in those years although UT had slightly more drafted to NFL in that frame). Then when UGA & Clemson started getting all the best HS players we got out of South Carolina and North Georgia. We were basically playing with top-end G5 type players for the most part. Things will get better but Florida still has better players than us per recruiting boards but that is not a great read now because portal is actually more important now.
To emphasize that (Portal), I was watching Lady Vols BB and they said UT has no Freshmen on the team for first time. So that is a microcosm of how things are changing. A lot of Freshmen the 3 stars and lower will go to lower programs and play themselves in to an upgrade portal. IMO

Let's maybe start over with Hype as coach and track from there going forward.

The rear view mirror view is what is behind you.

We have lots to look forward to ahead of us!

Reactions: DaddyChad
It’s a BS record imo. We’re improving as a football team in terms of overall talent. Heupel is a much much better coach that what we’ve had the past 15 years. We went in there this year with key injuries that bit us. I do think younger fans do need to realize there is no easy wins in this conference though especially in the swamp.

Heupel needs to step up and beat the absolute hell out of them next year.

Let's maybe start over with Hype as coach and track from there going forward.

The rear view mirror view is what is behind you.

We have lots to look forward to ahead of us!
If you play Florida 100 times with Dools or Pruitt as your coach you aren’t winning many.

Spurrier hasn’t been at UF in 22 years. He has nothing to do with say the past 15-17 years against UF.
Each coach in succession from Fulmer to Heupel bears specific personal responsibility for not showing up ready.
It is the difference each year.
Even Heupel got out-duelled in practice, filmstudy, and on the field this year.

They are better at exploiting our weaknesses than we are at anticipating and adjusting, and it is frustratingly consistent.
When we win, it is with drive, grit, and determination. Not coaching.

Heupel and his staff are doing a great job but they let "Sunbelt" Billy out coach them and it was embarrassing. Florida definitely had a better game plan going into the game and the coaches didn't handle it well.

The coaching deserved an F for that game. The only two other times this year that I have seen problems were Austin Peay game and the second half of the Alabama game. There were some hiccups at times against A&M as well.

Frankly, the Alabama game was interesting because Alabama wasn't very prepared or coached well in the first half but adjusted very well. Tennessee did not adjust well at all to Alabama. Saban's adjustments and coaching for second half was impressive.

Kind of a dumb hypothetical because it depends on timing (i.e. injuries in each theoretical contest) and whether the game was home or away. Those are factors at a minimum, and there are many others.

UT fans are way too obsessive about this. We beat you this year, you beat us last year. You will probably win at home again next year. There have been streaks in both directions when teams were up and down. It is what it is and time to let it go!

1699634986745.gif

VN Store

Back