If Florida played Tennessee 12x, would they be 12-0?

Sadly, the years that Florida beat us, those games repeated 12x under the exact same circumstances, I feel like they get us 11 or 12 times out of 12. The games we won, eh...50/50. Just glad that we won when we did. If we theoretically played Florida every week for 12 weeks I would expect us to be on the losing end most years, occasionally win the season by a game or two.

Sadly, the years that Florida beat us, those games repeated 12x under the exact same circumstances, I feel like they get us 11 or 12 times out of 12. The games we won, eh...50/50. Just glad that we won when we did. If we theoretically played Florida every week for 12 weeks I would expect us to be on the losing end most years, occasionally win the season by a game or two.

Some of the past years (notably Pruitt, Dooley, and late Fulmer years), Florida really was more talented and better than Tennessee on the field. Some of the Butch Jones era (notably 2014-2016) and this season are the years we have lost to bad Florida teams.

However, even when we win, it really isn't that impressive like last year when you consider how good are team was and how bad they were and we had to fight off a hail mary to get the W.

I think they would beat us more often than not unfortunately. Before the game this year, they mentioned how Napier took the team through the history of the rivalry and how much it means to them. I'm pretty sure their previous coaches did something similar too. Our staff, at least publicly, treated it like any other game and kind of laughed at the notion that what happened in the past made any difference to this year's team. I understand that point, but Florida seems to treat it like it does make a difference and appears to relish preparing for us every single year as if it's the most important game on their schedule. I hope we really are doing that too behind the scenes regardless of what the coaches say publicly. In any event, maybe it won't matter anymore very soon with the realignment and everything.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I think they would beat us more often than not unfortunately. Before the game this year, they mentioned how Napier took the team through the history of the rivalry and how much it means to them. I'm pretty sure their previous coaches did something similar too. Our staff, at least publicly, treated it like any other game and kind of laughed at the notion that what happened in the past made any difference to this year's team. I understand that point, but Florida seems to treat it like it does make a difference and appears to relish preparing for us every single year as if it's the most important game on their schedule. I hope we really are doing that too behind the scenes regardless of what the coaches say publicly. In any event, maybe it won't matter anymore very soon with the realignment and everything.

Agree with last part, bring on realignment. The SEC East was a disaster for Tennessee as a program. We came into 1992 the strongest program in the SEC East and we just got punked by Florida and/or Georgia almost every year.

In reality, if you went of program histories in 1992, people would have assumed Tennessee would have been as dominant in the East as Alabama has been in the West. Instead, our program melted into a second-tier SEC program. A lot of it had to do with the failures in the September matchup with Florida.

Aww, look at all the wittle helmets. All that representation. Mmm hmm. You can always tell when a personality starts that slow sell-out slide into trying to move above the sport, because they start doing things for the brand, rather than as a fan. I don't pay enough attention to know if this dude has had his wall of helmets for long; I just think it's funny to watch people twist their fandom around for the money.

What true Vol could do a "sports show" with a damn Bammer helmet on the wall? Or a Florida helmet, even? I have a conscious block against wearing crimson as a general rule. A Bammer helmet on display on whatever constituted my property? Ghastly to even think about.

It's like Kenny Chesney wearing that Alabama jersey in one photo, and then wearing a Florida jersey in the next photo. When you know, you know.

Meh. If UT beats them next year at home (likely id say) then Heupel would be .500 against them when the every year series against them (probably) ends. Which is probably the best mark ever of any UT coach. If we played them in Gainesville every year, then yeah they would probably be 12-0.
That series would also be drastically different if, since 1992, every game had been played in November instead of in September.

Aww, look at all the wittle helmets. All that representation. Mmm hmm. You can always tell when a personality starts that slow sell-out slide into trying to move above the sport, because they start doing things for the brand, rather than as a fan. I don't pay enough attention to know if this dude has had his wall of helmets for long; I just think it's funny to watch people twist their fandom around for the money.

What true Vol could do a "sports show" with a damn Bammer helmet on the wall? Or a Florida helmet, even? I have a conscious block against wearing crimson as a general rule. A Bammer helmet on display on whatever constituted my property? Ghastly to even think about.

It's like Kenny Chesney wearing that Alabama jersey in one photo, and then wearing a Florida jersey in the next photo. When you know, you know.

Uncle Lou is riding Georgia's success right now to talk **** about everyone. When Georgia goes down hill, let's see how he behaves.

That series would also be drastically different if, since 1992, every game had been played in November instead of in September.

I get that and I have heard that for a long time but Florida is in the same position and yet they keep winning. Something Florida does as a program is clearly superior to Tennessee and perhaps our Coaches need to figure it out and duplicate it.

Reactions: TN1111
Bingo! Not sure why the Vols never seem ready for the early SEC game and Florida does, but I will always believe the series would be mostly even if later in the season.

I get that and I have heard that for a long time but Florida is in the same position and yet they keep winning. Something Florida does as a program is clearly superior to Tennessee and perhaps our Coaches need to figure it out and duplicate it.

TN got out coached in the 90’s and Meyer had the better teams. Because of the Spurrier years, the Vols continue to lose due to an inferiority complex. Same as Kentucky loses to us when the matchup should be even. The best way to get over Florida is to stop treating them like there is a past. Everyone else in the SEC has managed to get over them just fine.

Do I need to say “in my opinion”? Because that’s my gut instinct and nothing else to it.

The realist me says 50-50 or maybe 45-55 UF favored. The BVS/fatalist me says we couldn’ t beat ‘‘em with Abrams tanks.

Even the years we beat Florida and should have dominated, it is still a little sketchy. Like when we broke the streak in 2016 at home, they came out 21-0 like it was nothing (we did score 38 unanswered after that). Then last year, dominated the whole game then they bring it within 5 with Richardson a chance for a walk off Hail Mary which fell incomplete. The Florida games tend to stick with me and linger. Don’t even get me started on the 10-9 loss at home against muschamp.

Some of the past years (notably Pruitt, Dooley, and late Fulmer years), Florida really was more talented and better than Tennessee on the field. Some of the Butch Jones era (notably 2014-2016) and this season are the years we have lost to bad Florida teams.

However, even when we win, it really isn't that impressive like last year when you consider how good are team was and how bad they were and we had to fight off a hail mary to get the W.
Tennessee had more players on NFL opening day rosters than Florida from the late 1980s to the mid 2000s. For a period from early 90s to early 2000s, UT had a double digit advantage on drafted players

Reactions: SpookyAction
If all of them were played in the 3rd or 4th week of the season? Maybe. Why that has historically been such a disadvantage for UT I do not know. But I believe UT would be closer to what they should be if they played UF after both teams had played quality opponents.

TN got out coached in the 90’s and Meyer had the better teams. Because of the Spurrier years, the Vols continue to lose due to an inferiority complex. Same as Kentucky loses to us when the matchup should be even. The best way to get over Florida is to stop treating them like there is a past. Everyone else in the SEC has managed to get over them just fine.

Do I need to say “in my opinion”? Because that’s my gut instinct and nothing else to it.
You nailed it sir! The best way to get over Florida is not listen or live in the past. And our fans could stop the dwelling on the past too, it’s a new era. Heupel is going to be 2-0 at home against Florida come next year! GBO

If all of them were played in the 3rd or 4th week of the season? Maybe. Why that has historically been such a disadvantage for UT I do not know. But I believe UT would be closer to what they should be if they played UF after both teams had played quality opponents.
Yes I think if we had played Florida in November every year that we would have 3-4 more wins against them at least over the last 12 years. GBO

The problem is that Florida beats Tennessee ninety percent of the time in football no matter how crappy of a team they field.

It is what it is. I kind of agree with the collar here. As much as it sucks for us to lose to Florida every year no matter what we can’t complain too much, because the exact same dynamic exist between Kentucky and Tennessee. They’ve won 10 games in the regular season 3 times over the past 8 years, and yet in all 3 of those years they lost to us. And to add insult to injury, we were terrible all 3 years.

Reactions: oz615

VN Store

Back