I'd like to see Nico get substantial playing time Saturday against Kentucky.

I just feel like it's time. I feel like he's that good. I feel like he will contribute to this season, a definite asset, the experience will be invaluable. I have seen a lot of qb's at UT play and it's his turn to play substantially, and it keeps him happy, in case he's not.
I think Heupel will go down withe ship! He will stick with Milton no matter what and yes that includes losing games!!

If Nico is as good as predicted he won't be here to use that redshirt.
This. All of this. If milton was 29-2 like Jalen hurts yeah it would be hard to bench him. There's no downside to playing nico the rest of the way. Milton is only 5-2 cause of the defense. No way he beats Georgia and he better have a clemson moment against mizz

Reactions: 08Vol
Hindsight is 20/20 but those last minute playing times against VA and UTSA kind of hurt. If Nico still had 4 games on his redshirt we could pretty much play him out. Maybe hold him out for the Uconn or vandy game. The post season does not count so he could still play in the bowl without burning the redshirt. Honestly, not many good players stay for their Senior year anyway so it may all be for naught but it makes you think.
He’s never planned to redshirt!!! Huepel said that at the very beginning of the year!!

I think Heupel will go down withe ship! He will stick with Milton no matter what and yes that includes losing games!!
Bailey should be starting! Something stinks in Denmark! Bailey should enter the portal and go somewhere he can start. For whatever reason, his career is over at UT!
You are known for your excellent takes.

If you're wondering, Bailey is currently on the bench in Louisville where he is a WALK ON after failing to do anything at UNLV.

Maybe we should get him back, eh?

I personally don't think they ever thought he would be here for 4 years
If he is as good as we think, he should play a couple of years and, if physically mature, move on to the NFL. I think it depends on Nico to put in the work to be ready.

I guess they're assuming there's no chance he stays 5 years. That's what I would guess.

You most certainly do have quarters to throw away in an effort to see what guys can do. That is… When the guy has had a lot of play time already and the product has never been great. My thinking would be that so long as a guy is playing at a really high level…get him as many reps as possible. Every scenario is different and it’s not as if there’s a right or wrong move.

But take seasons in question (heupel’s first year and this year). In the first year, coming in your often see a coach faced with the situation Heupel had play his number one and number two QB’s. Coaches of note that certainly do this Would Include Kiffin and Lincoln Riley. Saban also has a history of making guys “earn it out on the field” and Kirby Smart did the same thing that first year with Stetson a QB. so allowing multiple guys to get game reps early isn’t “throwing quarters away”. Many of our fans myself included were really surprised to see Heupel go 1000% with Milton and even when he was absolute garbage in those first two games… Not give a single rep to anyone else until the injury. It took all of about 15 game rubs for everyone Heupel included to recognize hooker, was significantly better in every facet of the game.

Entering Heupel’s second year, of course it didn’t make sense to allow anyone else game reps because Hooker had unquestionably established himself as a really good player. If you’ve got the man again, give them as many reps as you can. Play the back up only and junk time.

But entering this season again, I believe he should’ve had at least somewhat of an open mind. With Nico being a true freshman, having to learn a complex system, I don’t think anybody was expecting. Heupel would legitimately let him challenge for the job. But why not at least let him get some meaningful reps? If Milton was playing at a high level, it would make sense. But you’re not flushing a quarter away against SC it TA&M. You aren’t getting very much out of Milton. He’s ranked 70th in the NCAA and total QBR and 12 in the SEC.

So again, it’s just my opinion and that’s what people do on ram maessage boards. Lol. But I didn’t understand why Heuple handled the job his first season or this season.

Regardless, I’m really hyped to have him. Coaches have to get about 10,000 decisions over time and I think he gets 99% of it right. Recruiting, game planning, player development, scheming, etc. He’s just an all-around top level coach and we will be really good for years to come I believe. I’ve said this many time…I think Milton will be the worst qb we sell heupel out out on the field during his time here.
He's also sitting at 5-2, where the 2 losses were really solid games from him when the rest of the team **** the bed. You, like so many others, are expecting insanely high level QB play to hide/bail out terrible play from the rest of the team. Why does Milton have to play at an All-American/Heisman level while you (and many others) completely accept high school JV level play from others such as Sampson, Small, and Wright not even reaching 30 yards rushing individually and not even 75 yards combined?

Everyone saying that he couldn't possibly be here 5 years unless things aren't going well haven't thought about what 2nd round NFL money is like versus what they could possibly make with NIL. If he isn't high first round, that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a good quarterback. I'm not saying this is what happens, but it is possible that it could go that way and he stay here longer and make more money playing college ball than pro.

Everyone saying that he couldn't possibly be here 5 years unless things aren't going well haven't thought about what 2nd round NFL money is like versus what they could possibly make with NIL. If he isn't high first round, that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a good quarterback. I'm not saying this is what happens, but it is possible that it could go that way and he stay here longer and make more money playing college ball than pro.
The quicker he gets to the NFL, the quicker he gets to the SECOND NFL contract where the real money is if he's good.

You've got to balance the NIL money in college vs the risk of injury in college ruining his NFL career AND the finite amount of years QBs normally play in the NFL. It's not that FIRST year in the NFL money but that LAST year in the NFL money.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Fitting that his best game in Orange was a major choke job where we scored 0 points in the second half.
For Milton that is a good game. Reminder that Milton has only thrown for 3 TDs in a game against 1 P5 team, the Clemson bowl game. Hooker did it in multiple games. Not as bad as JG tho who never passed for 3 TDs against a FBS team.

I also remember a kid named Peyton Manning who returned for his senior season, and he'd already graduated. He also wasn't making any NIL money. As he said at the time, being the starting quarterback at Tennessee isn't a bad thing to be. Better now that they can finally get (legally) paid.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
He's also sitting at 5-2, where the 2 losses were really solid games from him when the rest of the team **** the bed. You, like so many others, are expecting insanely high level QB play to hide/bail out terrible play from the rest of the team. Why does Milton have to play at an All-American/Heisman level while you (and many others) completely accept high school JV level play from others such as Sampson, Small, and Wright not even reaching 30 yards rushing individually and not even 75 yards combined?
You aren’t willing to have honest dialogue on the topic for whatever reason. Nobody said Milton needs to be a Heisman candidate for the team to be good. But his 70th in QBR. 70th! Why are you unwilling to acknowledge that he hasn’t been good?

Against Bama the running backs couldn’t produce because Bama loaded the box and sold out to stop our run. That was always going to be the game plan and it is exactly how it played out.

In the first half Milton was able to complete a handful of important passes. As usual, he missed about as many of the important passes as he connected on. And when I say important passes…I’m talking about third down plays in the red zone etc. (no first down wide receiver screens). He overthrew two would be touchdown passes, causing us to settle for field goals on those two trips.

In the second half, Heupel took the ball out of Milton‘s hands throughout the first part which allowed Bama (along with some help from the zebras) to get back in the game. When we finally decided to start throwing the ball down the field again, Milton was his typical self missing badly on several throws before eventually having the play where he held the ball too long, and gave up the “fumble 6”.

Reactions: 08Vol
For Milton that is a good game. Reminder that Milton has only thrown for 3 TDs in a game against 1 P5 team, the Clemson bowl game. Hooker did it in multiple games. Not as bad as JG tho who never passed for 3 TDs against a FBS team.
The difference? Hyatt and Tillman.

With them, Milton threw for 3 TDs. Pinning the passing game drop off on Hooker vs Milton without considering Hyatt and Tillman vs Keyton and White and the Bru loss isn't really fair.

The prize for recruiting well and developing well is having to recruit on a 3-year cycle instead of a 4- or 5-year cycle. And even then some top guys will transfer out. I doubt anybody is planning on Nico staying past year 4.

The difference? Hyatt and Tillman.

With them, Milton threw for 3 TDs. Pinning the passing game drop off on Hooker vs Milton without considering Hyatt and Tillman vs Keyton and White and the Bru loss isn't really fair.
Hyatt sat out the Clemson game and I think Tillman did too. Hyatt did play vs Vandy but Milton didn’t really target him. Both played with Milton starting 2 games in 2021 but again, Milton couldn’t pass well enough to take advantage of them.

Fitting that his best game in Orange was a major choke job where we scored 0 points in the second half.
LOL
I gotta stop getting on here. Drives me nuts that I cheer for the same team as folks like this.

I'd say the Orange Bowl was his best game against good comp. I also wouldn't put the Bama loss on Joe. I watched the game, sounds like you didn't. If you did, I hope you weren't sober.
So many things to blame the game on and Joe is near the bottom of the list. Play calling, penalties, and missed calls would be my top 3.

I think redshirts are a thing of the past for most five star quarterbacks. Arch might be an exception to the rule but if you're good enough you play and if you're not you'll find somewhere that will play you

You aren’t willing to have honest dialogue on the topic for whatever reason. Nobody said Milton needs to be a Heisman candidate for the team to be good. But his 70th in QBR. 70th! Why are you unwilling to acknowledge that he hasn’t been good?

Against Bama the running backs couldn’t produce because Bama loaded the box and sold out to stop our run. That was always going to be the game plan and it is exactly how it played out.

In the first half Milton was able to complete a handful of important passes. As usual, he missed about as many of the important passes as he connected on. And when I say important passes…I’m talking about third down plays in the red zone etc. (no first down wide receiver screens). He overthrew two would be touchdown passes, causing us to settle for field goals on those two trips.

In the second half, Heupel took the ball out of Milton‘s hands throughout the first part which allowed Bama (along with some help from the zebras) to get back in the game. When we finally decided to start throwing the ball down the field again, Milton was his typical self missing badly on several throws before eventually having the play where he held the ball too long, and gave up the “fumble 6”.
Milton had more than double the rushing yards than anyone else on the team. He threw for 271, rushed for 59. If he had any support around, that's plenty. Again, why are you unwilling to acknowledge in the 2 losses Milton had solid/good outings with ZERO support. He's thrown for 550 yards and 4 TDs in those two losses. That should be enough, unless you expect him to have Heisman type performances to hide the deficiencies in the other aspects of the game. You want a damn scapegoat because you don't like the guy.

But, again, I ask you why are there SO many threads about Milton, but not about the drops and the RBs not producing during important times? Why is Milton being held to such an insane standard, yet the RBs and WRs are allowed to be mediocre at best during those Ls?

Last edited:
I

You must have a reading problem. I said I have not seen Nico play enough to tell if he was ready or good. It is just my opinion that he is a better runner, because most of the time I think Joe is bad at running the football. Yes he makes a good run here and there, but with his size he can do a lot better, When Joe really wants to run, he does very well. However, I did see Nico run in the spring game, and I was impressed with his running ability.
I would say Nico has better pocket presence. That’s what is so elite about Nico that I’ve noticed from his tape. He feels pressure, he knows when to escape, and he can run pretty well when he wants to. His throwing on the run is really good too.

Other than injuries there’s not really any reason to redshirt a good player. If Nico is who we want him to be then he will give us two years then declare anyway.

VN Store

Back