I'd like to see Nico get substantial playing time Saturday against Kentucky.

Because I have seen him run in the sping game and in what little time I have seen him play in the real games. Milton could be a very good runner, and he does do good when he wants to, but most of the time he runs scared.

In games this year he has only carried the ball 2 times for a total of 4 yards. And he is 2 of 5 passing for 11 yards. You can't tell anything from those limited plays.

If it happens all the time, tell me all the QBs who led their teams to their conference championships or SB over the last 30 years that weren't known studs. It's a short list
Falcons traded Brett Favre. Glanville preferred to ride with Chris Miller. He was a pretty good QB....maybe even a little better than Chris Miller.

I
In games this year he has only carried the ball 2 times for a total of 4 yards. And he is 2 of 5 passing for 11 yards. You can't tell anything from those limited plays.
You must have a reading problem. I said I have not seen Nico play enough to tell if he was ready or good. It is just my opinion that he is a better runner, because most of the time I think Joe is bad at running the football. Yes he makes a good run here and there, but with his size he can do a lot better, When Joe really wants to run, he does very well. However, I did see Nico run in the spring game, and I was impressed with his running ability.

As I clearly said in my original post "I'm not saying that is the situation here" I have no idea what Nico looks like. I'm saying it happens and coaches make mistakes all the time.
Certainly it happens, but it is uncommon, by the sheer numbers. I could . go on with examples across the league since the onset of the "modern" game. 3-4 out 30, isn't interpreted statistically as "happens all the time"

Certainly it happens, but it is uncommon, by the sheer numbers. I could . go on with examples across the league since the onset of the "modern" game. 3-4 out 30, isn't interpreted statistically as "happens all the time"
Well if you can quantify 'happens all the time" into statistics....

Yes it happens all the time and at no time did I say it had to involve a super bowl. It happened at my high school twice for example.

Majors actually started Sterling Hinton for a while. Brett Smith got the first start over Ainge.

Tommy Maddox was starting until an injury forced Pittsburgh to start Big Ben.

And one more time....Hooker for the Vols. Wonder if he'd ever gotten a meaningful snap?

Well if you can quantify 'happens all the time" into statistics....

Yes it happens all the time and at no time did I say it had to involve a super bowl. It happened at my high school twice for example.

Majors actually started Sterling Hinton for a while. Brett Smith got the first start over Ainge.

Tommy Maddox was starting until an injury forced Pittsburgh to start Big Ben.

And one more time....Hooker for the Vols. Wonder if he'd ever gotten a meaningful snap?
Lots of rebuttals to your claims 🤭

You're using your high school as a comparison?

Sterling Henton performed great as a sophomore in a backup role to Jeff Francis. He was hurt in 1988 and played sparingly.In 1989, The Vols were undefeated going into the Alabama game. He struggled early in the game. We had a backup named Andy Kelly who had played in some critical moments prior to the Alabama game. We lost 1 game the entire season. That team would have easily made this newfangled playoff

The rebuttal to that is Hooker had all the time in the world to prove he was the man in practice. If you're a first-season coach, and you have 2 guys who have no game performances at the school, minimal performances at old schools (which honestly weren't that great), how do you judge them? At practice and film study. There are 12 games. You don't have time to throw away quarters just "to see what a guy can do". Unless a guy completed implodes, which Milton has not done despite what so many claim because they have unrealistic expectations, you ride the guy that's proven it in practice.
You most certainly do have quarters to throw away in an effort to see what guys can do. That is… When the guy has had a lot of play time already and the product has never been great. My thinking would be that so long as a guy is playing at a really high level…get him as many reps as possible. Every scenario is different and it’s not as if there’s a right or wrong move.

But take seasons in question (heupel’s first year and this year). In the first year, coming in your often see a coach faced with the situation Heupel had play his number one and number two QB’s. Coaches of note that certainly do this Would Include Kiffin and Lincoln Riley. Saban also has a history of making guys “earn it out on the field” and Kirby Smart did the same thing that first year with Stetson a QB. so allowing multiple guys to get game reps early isn’t “throwing quarters away”. Many of our fans myself included were really surprised to see Heupel go 1000% with Milton and even when he was absolute garbage in those first two games… Not give a single rep to anyone else until the injury. It took all of about 15 game rubs for everyone Heupel included to recognize hooker, was significantly better in every facet of the game.

Entering Heupel’s second year, of course it didn’t make sense to allow anyone else game reps because Hooker had unquestionably established himself as a really good player. If you’ve got the man again, give them as many reps as you can. Play the back up only and junk time.

But entering this season again, I believe he should’ve had at least somewhat of an open mind. With Nico being a true freshman, having to learn a complex system, I don’t think anybody was expecting. Heupel would legitimately let him challenge for the job. But why not at least let him get some meaningful reps? If Milton was playing at a high level, it would make sense. But you’re not flushing a quarter away against SC it TA&M. You aren’t getting very much out of Milton. He’s ranked 70th in the NCAA and total QBR and 12 in the SEC.

So again, it’s just my opinion and that’s what people do on ram maessage boards. Lol. But I didn’t understand why Heuple handled the job his first season or this season.

Regardless, I’m really hyped to have him. Coaches have to get about 10,000 decisions over time and I think he gets 99% of it right. Recruiting, game planning, player development, scheming, etc. He’s just an all-around top level coach and we will be really good for years to come I believe. I’ve said this many time…I think Milton will be the worst qb we sell heupel out out on the field during his time here.

Actually Nico is a better runner than Milton imo
I would agree that Nico is more ELUSIVE than Joe. But I am not sure Nico could lower his shoulder and bull through contact with an SEC sized linebacker yet. I am sure that Heup and company have the kid eating like easy at the training table and living in the weight room right now though
I think the physical aspects are actually what is holding up Nico right now even more than learning the playbook. Haven’t seen him on the field in a few months but last time he was out he still looked like a scarecrow.

Reactions: cgrish and Raebo
Lots of rebuttals to your claims 🤭

You're using your high school as a comparison?

Sterling Henton performed great as a sophomore in a backup role to Jeff Francis. He was hurt in 1988 and played sparingly.In 1989, The Vols were undefeated going into the Alabama game. He struggled early in the game. We had a backup named Andy Kelly who had played in some critical moments prior to the Alabama game. We lost 1 game the entire season. That team would have easily made this newfangled playoff
High school teams have coaches. Some are quite good. My HS coach was the winningest in NC HS history. On more than one occasion an injury revealed that he had the wrong QB starting.

I believe that most coaches are average at best at evaluating and developing talent.

The genius in New England is 81-93 without his accidental superstar Brady behind center.

Brock Purdy was 3rd string at San Fran until 2 injuries revealed he should have been starting.

They get it wrong all the time, as we've seen twice very recently at UT with Dobbs and Hooker.

I'll let you have the last word after this because neither of us will change our mind. Especially me since I know I'm right.

High school teams have coaches. Some are quite good. My HS coach was the winningest in NC HS history. On more than one occasion an injury revealed that he had the wrong QB starting.

I believe that most coaches are average at best at evaluating and developing talent.

The genius in New England is 81-93 without his accidental superstar Brady behind center.

Brock Purdy was 3rd string at San Fran until 2 injuries revealed he should have been starting.

They get it wrong all the time, as we've seen twice very recently at UT with Dobbs and Hooker.

I'll let you have the last word after this because neither of us will change our mind. Especially me since I know I'm right.
Thanks. You're still grasping at at exceptions to the norm. This isn't an "agree or disagree" position. It is fact. It does happen as you say, at times, but atypical to the norm. That is a fact. Again, 3 out of 30 isn't "all the time". Bless your heart

Hindsight is 20/20 but those last minute playing times against VA and UTSA kind of hurt. If Nico still had 4 games on his redshirt we could pretty much play him out. Maybe hold him out for the Uconn or vandy game. The post season does not count so he could still play in the bowl without burning the redshirt. Honestly, not many good players stay for their Senior year anyway so it may all be for naught but it makes you think.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
Hindsight is 20/20 but those last minute playing times against VA and UTSA kind of hurt. If Nico still had 4 games on his redshirt we could pretty much play him out. Maybe hold him out for the Uconn or vandy game. The post season does not count so he could still play in the bowl without burning the redshirt. Honestly, not many good players stay for their Senior year anyway so it may all be for naught but it makes you think.
Good pointđź‘Ť

I know this is hopeful thinking, but I'm sure we'd all like Nico to have the kind of success that would allow him to only be here for three years. If it pans out that way, it will likely be a little bittersweet because he's a non-factor this year and we likely won't be good enough along the OL next year to maximize him. That will leave one year with him that we might have the potential and talent around him to compete for an SEC or national championship. Now, if he's able to leave after three years he'll prolly have won us a few games.

Is it like this at every school with a 5 star unproven kid on the bench ? As long as we win more than we lose Heupel is not giving Nico anything other than a quarter or two in the next 5 games. THAT IS the plan and has been the plan all along. His family and Heupel worked this out and everyone is in agreement it is for Nico's benefit. He will be better suited learning the offense and allowing his body and mind mature. He is by accounts progressing well for a Freshman, you want to see growth and maturity. His body needs time, skinny kid with loads of potential.

I personally don't think they ever thought he would be here for 4 years

Reactions: esarmstrong

If Nico is as good as predicted he won't be here to use that redshirt.

Reactions: Godfatha
The coaches and players never talk about Nico. Never. In the past, with great young talent, you'd hear about how great they look in practice or something. If anything, I heard comments about how the staff is more excited about the guy coming in next year.

In HS, Nico played in a wide open offense and he relied on his ability to beat most of the teams they played. You can't win on just your physical talent in the SEC. Hooker had complete command of the offense and it showed. Milton relies on the coaaches to call every play from the sideline and he still struggles to throw on time to receivers before they break open. I hope Nico is catching on but no news is not necessarily good news.

The coaches and players never talk about Nico. Never. In the past, with great young talent, you'd hear about how great they look in practice or something. If anything, I heard comments about how the staff is more excited about the guy coming in next year.

In HS, Nico played in a wide open offense and he relied on his ability to beat most of the teams they played. You can't win on just your physical talent in the SEC. Hooker had complete command of the offense and it showed. Milton relies on the coaaches to call every play from the sideline and he still struggles to throw on time to receivers before they break open. I hope Nico is catching on but no news is not necessarily good news.
Does this help you feel better?

VN Store

Back