I would rather go .500 this season with Nico than see Milton start a single down from here on out.

Agreed. Our entire secondary will be new and most of our OL. DT and LB will also be tough positions to fill.

Some folks act like replacing starters isn’t a big deal because of the portal but they forget that the best available players will likely want to play for championship contenders.
Looks like our entire secondary is new now

Agreed. Our entire secondary will be new and most of our OL. DT and LB will also be tough positions to fill.

Some folks act like replacing starters isn’t a big deal because of the portal but they forget that the best available players will likely want to play for championship contenders.
Yep. Let's be honest and admit that guys who are entering the portal are usually doing so because they can't get on the field at their current school in many cases. Or perhaps there's friction with their team or coaching staff which also isn't the ideal addition to your locker room. Honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't be a better bet to go down a level and find some studs who want to prove themselves in the SEC on a bigger stage? We're gonna need some Prime Time portal magic if we're to have a nice coming out season for Nico next year.

I would rather go .500 this season with Nico than see Milton start a single down from here on out.
And I damn well mean it. I am sick of this show. He is gone after this year anyway. Just do it and get it over with. We get to look forward to growing pains next year the longer we keep him in.

Someone forgot their meds

Looks like our entire secondary is new now
I understand the jab at the current unit, but man, it seems like the same names have been at UT for 10 years. It's like a garden fungus that you just can't get rid of. I'm really, really wanting to see some of these younger guys ascend and take more time.

Excellence at QB covers a multitude of sins.
If nobody believes that then see Hooker's performance last year with the same bad defense we put on the field last year. QB over came defense. In fact Hooker's play put the defense in better situations because the other team was panicked from being behind so fast. Still don't believe ? See TN vs Bama last year.

Reactions: 901Vol
This is not I formation, smash mouth 17-10 games anymore. 16 isn’t going to beat many teams

Enough already. Think I'll wait for a couple of wins (yeah, go ahead and say it) before I come back here for more of this negativity. We still have a good team. We are still VOL fans.

And we have been through ALOT worse than a loss at Florida.

I don’t understand anyone’s surprise in Milton’s play and here is why:

2018-2019: Backup to Shea Patterson, played in 8 games, 6 for 11 for 117 yards, 1TD, 2 INTs, 2 rushing TDs.

2020: Benched after 3 games in favor of Cade McNamara.

2021: Transferred to Tennessee, named the starter, injured in the 2nd game, never won the job back from Hooker.

2022: Limited to mop-up duty until Hooker went down. 11-21, 147 yards, 1 TD against VANDY. Played well in the Orange Bowl 19-28, 251 yards, 3 TDs.

2023: As we saw, without a strong supporting cast, there is no chance Milton will suddenly and dramatically elevate his play in year 6.

Reactions: TN1111
And I damn well mean it. I am sick of this show. He is gone after this year anyway. Just do it and get it over with. We get to look forward to growing pains next year the longer we keep him in.
Like I told my nephew during the game, I've seen Peyton Manning down there at the Swamp just throw it up for grabs for an interception; it is what it is. Other than Casey Clausen, I could name you lots of QB's that have had problems down there.

Reactions: acd4476
I’m not saying Milton is great or anything but the defense is horrible too Tim banks and martinez have to go.
Exactly..we had 4 starters out, 2 from the OL. The defense was embarrassing, #5 Hadden is afraid of contact and kills us on D. If we get a win vs SC and hopefully A&M then we’re right back in this thing.

Nico could prolly extend plays that Milton couldn’t. I’m just tired of the vanilla play calling that caters to Milton’s limited abilities. We don’t even really utilize his only talent as a QB.
What talent is that?

It’s just awesome to see that we have so many fans willing to sacrifice next year just to break even this year.
How well does Nico know the playbook right now? 100% or 30%?
Is he physically and mentally ready to play behind our O line?
Our O line let a 400+ pound lineman drill Joe into the ground with his full weight on Joe. Is Nico able to pop up ready to go after that hit or does he still need to add some protective muscle to his frame to withstand those types of hits every game?
You may not know those answers but I bet our Coach does.
Joe is not the biggest issue on this team and unless he gets injured I sincerely hope our Coach isn’t willing to sacrifice future seasons just to break even this year.
How well does joe know the 6-8 plays he is capable of running

Joe Milton is not our problem. I watched the game again on Sunday, and he had very few bad throws. The problem is our defense, mainly our secondary. They need a change at coach. WM can't do it no longer. CJH has to let him go and bring someone in who can teach those guys to look for the ball and stay on the coverage

Reactions: DynaLo and acd4476
Joe Milton is not our problem. I watched the game again on Sunday, and he had very few bad throws. The problem is our defense, mainly our secondary. They need a change at coach. WM can't do it no longer. CJH has to let him go and bring someone in who can teach those guys to look for the ball and stay on the coverage
4th and ten. Need a first down to have a chance to prolong the game. Has squirrel open for 1st down and throws into the ground??? Are you sure you were watching UT vs uf

You can’t win on the road in the sec anymore scoring 16

Just a question, but if they play Nicco behind this line and he gets hurt, do they stop paying the NIL money? If the answer is no, then what are we talking about here then. Play him. It's never going to be a perfect time to start playing him. He is going to take bumps either this year or next year. There's nothing at this time that says the line will be dramatically better next year. Either Nicco is all that is advertised or we need to find someone else who is. Stop babying these players. They want this money and that's fine. Now go EARN it.

Reactions: Butch s
Like I told my nephew during the game, I've seen Peyton Manning down there at the Swamp just throw it up for grabs for an interception; it is what it is. Other than Casey Clausen, I could name you lots of QB's that have had problems down there.
Peyton was throwing against Spurrier teams that were contending for national championships.

Overall, for some reason Florida is a team that Tennessee underachieves against. Even with Casey Clausen, no one ever mentions that 30-13 game at Neyland in Ron Zook’s first year.

This and that offensive line. TN had 6 blockers and Florida rushed 4 and was getting to the QB. You can't run as many offensive plays with a limited offensive line. Not sure how they found themselves hear but it is what it is. They need Mays back but even then I'm not sure it'll help. That last throw to Bru Joe was getting pressured and he isn't a good QB when he's moving

VN Store

Back