I would like to thank the Supreme Court, the NCAA, the universities, and players and their parents for ruining college football

There's nothing wrong with players making money from their name, image and likeness. If they build a Twitter or Instagram following, they should be allowed to monetize it.

But that's not what's happening right now. Players aren't building personal brands. They don't have agents hustling sponsorships.

Players are approaching it as a salary.... which is the problem.

They're getting all of the upside of a salary (i.e. $$$) without any of the downsides. (contracts)

I don't know the solution. The genie isn't going back in the bottle. At this point, we should just strive to be the best at it.
Absolutely no one is forcing schools and boosters to offer these deals to players. No one. You can't pin this on the players.

The collectives are offering because the market has ALWAYS been there for good players to get paid "without a contract." That's nothing new. It's always been "we'll get you this if you'll come play for us."

Why is it ruining sports now and it didn't ruin sports for the previous decades? Because you can see it happening?

It's done very little except change the perception of the process. Before we could fool ourselves and believe these really talented players came for the love of UT, for the legacy, for whatever rah rah we felt college athletics needed.

That's been an unseen lie for several years. Now it's no longer unseen.

Reactions: Raebo
Is this..."Crocodile Tears"??!!

08058550adb0d92ddf79aa0683658f0a.jpg
Gator Bait Switch!

Absolutely no one is forcing schools and boosters to offer these deals to players. No one. You can't pin this on the players.

The collectives are offering because the market has ALWAYS been there for good players to get paid "without a contract." That's nothing new. It's always been "we'll get you this if you'll come play for us."

Why is it ruining sports now and it didn't ruin sports for the previous decades? Because you can see it happening?

It's done very little except change the perception of the process. Before we could fool ourselves and believe these really talented players came for the love of UT, for the legacy, for whatever rah rah we felt college athletics needed.

That's been an unseen lie for several years. Now it's no longer unseen.

I didn't argue it's ruining sports. I simply said it's the worst of both worlds ― players are receiving salaries with no teeth to protect the investment.

Nor did I blame it on players. Though, if it truly were "NIL", I do think many of them would be shocked at how little their name and likeness is actually worth.

Lastly, it's disingenuous to imply nothing has changed. Of course it has. The scale and amount of money is in a different league than it was just a few years ago. If you don't think that changes things, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I didn't argue it's ruining sports. I simply said it's the worst of both worlds ― players are receiving salaries with no teeth to protect the investment.

Nor did I blame it on players. Though, if it truly were "NIL", I do think many of them would be shocked at how little their name and likeness is actually worth.

Lastly, it's disingenuous to imply nothing has changed. Of course it has. The scale and amount of money is in a different league than it was just a few years ago. If you don't think that changes things, I'm not sure what to tell you.
The scale of money is definitely crazy but the "loyalty" moans and the "it's ruining the spirit of the college game" makes me bristle.

Elite players haven't been playing for free for quite some time, nor have they been playing for "dear ol' team" and "The Gipper."

When college football became a major TV revenue source and the stadiums became larger than pro stadiums, what the hell did people think was happening? That's my issue. You can't have it both ways.

Players should play in front of millions of eyeballs every week for the love of the school, the college experience, etc and for free........ then the next year play in front of millions of eyeballs every week for a minimum of $950,000/yr?

C'mon. That was a pipe dream years ago. It's run like a pro game and we've loved it for decades that way. Why cry about it now?

The scale of money is definitely crazy but the "loyalty" moans and the "it's ruining the spirit of the college game" makes me bristle.

Elite players haven't been playing for free for quite some time, nor have they been playing for "dear ol' team" and "The Gipper."

When college football became a major TV revenue source and the stadiums became larger than pro stadiums, what the hell did people think was happening? That's my issue. You can't have it both ways.

Players should play in front of millions of eyeballs every week for the love of the school, the college experience, etc and for free........ then the next year play in front of millions of eyeballs every week for a minimum of $950,000/yr?

C'mon. That was a pipe dream years ago. It's run like a pro game and we've loved it for decades that way. Why cry about it now?
meh. I didn't comment on loyalty, so I'm not sure the relevance.

But I'd say there is definitely a difference now.... mostly because of the combination of NIL and the new transfer rules.

meh. I didn't comment on loyalty, so I'm not sure the relevance.

But I'd say there is definitely a difference now.... mostly because of the combination of NIL and the new transfer rules.
Sure, it's starting to be handled like what it is: pro sports. Players are getting "NIL money" which is really a salary, we agree, but the issue is the people paying the salary aren't the people making the money.

It's not sustainable in this format. Schools can't expect donors to pony up ever increasing NIL money to collectives every year. It'll either hurt donations to the general fund or the collectives will fail, as FL apparently has had happen.

They're schools, not pro teams. The attempt to be both never was sustainable.

Reactions: Delmar
I have a question. I guess here is just as good as any place to post it, How will they structure a payment for the players for the new upcoming NCAA football game? In some sort of NIL deal?
I know it will be NIL, just curious because wouldn't every player on every teams roster be entitled to something 🤔

VN Store

Back