I trust Coach ______ defense is used EVERY time

You act as if comparing OC resumes is some sort of difficult science.

Do you really, honestly think that comparing resumes would yield a good hire?

FWIW, there are search firms that specialize in placing professionals at that level to include football coaches. The vetting is VERY thorough down to matching personality types. You can of course ignore their recommendations and "wing it"... but it better work or else you'll need their services yourself.

Reactions: 1 person
The ominous 'something going on here line' was the icing on the cake.

you know what? I bet Butch is intentionally trying to sabotage UT football because, after all, he is nothing more than an agent of Dave Hart who we all know is secretly a Bama plant sent to destroy the Mighty Vol's athletics programs!!

I started to post something similiar earlier but let it go.
Not liking a hire is one thing but insiuating there is something sinister, that was about as "aliens built the pyramids" as it gets.

Why is everyone crying about an OC hire?

1. This staff was built on fit and continuity, we shouldn't be suprised we are moving forward with someone whom Butch has familiarity
2. Nobody was excited about Jancek, Martinez and Stripling and these guys are building an elite Defense
3. Bajakian was simply not a good player caller
4. Azzani is an Ace recruiter, but can anyone say our WR's are developing as expected?

Let's hold together this recruiting class and look forward to next year.

Haven't heard that.
Of course most of the time if someone is being approached, there are always "other options" or "interest" to drive the contract in the direction you desire.

No doubt.

I know most people take what he has to say with a grain of salt (understandably so), but he also said that Dobbs sat in on a portion of the Interview this weekend. I thought that was pretty cool and very wise of CBJ.

Exactly. Look at the same folks who swore they were done when Butch was hired, and are now saying, "Butch gets it". Half the folks complaining about this rumor honestly probably never heard of DeBord.

Absolutely, and I'm convinced that's the very reason they're so rectum-hurt. They think the only good ones are the names that everyone knows, and if their past experience isn't a mirror image of our present scheme, the only possible outcome is death.

Could you imagine if we had hired Scott Frost as OC before Oregon did? All we'd be hearing is how Scott Frost doesn't know anything besides the Option, Butch is :crazy::crazy::crazy:, we're screwed. Death.

Reactions: 2 people
Furthermore if you could call up 10 of the top oc's in the country all would love to have any one of:

Dobbs: projected to have a breakout year
Hurd: expected to build up freshman year and a top 3 breakout player in the country.
Kamara: former 5* 1200+ yds in JC
North: one of the top wr in the sec provided he's healthy.
The list can go on and on...

To tell me that no top offensive coordinators don't want to be here is absurd. Something else is going on here..

Cool it, this happens all the time at successful FBS programs. I know Vol fan are gun shy after the 2 previous HC hires and deservedly so......Vol's are in better shape than they were a few years back. One thing is for sure: coaching searches on VN are crazy!

From one who has been tough on you for your past transgressions......I wish you well as you move forward and attempt to build upon your recent success. LOL

Last edited:
From one who has been tough on you for your past transgressions......I wish you well as you move forward and attempt to build upon your recent success. LOL

I'm always going to tell the truth as I see it. Sometimes you'll like it. Other times you may not.

Some may not see it but I think there's a pretty big difference between saying Jones needs to figure out why he's lost so many DE's and fix it... and saying that Jones doesn't know what he's doing if I don't agree with his OC hire. In the one case, something bad has already happened and needs to be responded to. In the latter case, he's trying to find the OC who will help him take the next step forward.

In this particular case, I trust Jones to do his very best to hire the right guy... and you really can't ask for more than that. Speculation is a big part of it. Now if he hires him and things go south... he'll have to fix it... but there are no guarantees when you change the chemistry of a leadership group.

...and has failed miserably almost every time. I like Butch as much as the next guy, and I am super excited about our chances to win the division next year. That is why I REALLY want Butch to knock this thing (OC hire) out of the park.

But, I'm terribly concerned that Butch may be falling victim to the familiarity/association trap (ie, like Hamilton did Hiring Kiffin and Dooley based on their familiarity/association with Monte and Saban, respectively) with DeBord. Just blindly defending what appears to be a bad hire, has a terrible track record lately.

Nothing about his resume says "prolific" The 97 NC team had an average offense, but great defense. His offense doesn't even remotely resemble what Butch has since developed AFTER his association with DeBord.

Butch's offense mirrors that of Rich Rodriguez, whose current offense is putting up big numbers. Hiring one of his co-OC's would therefore make the most sense. Both of whom Butch has worked with since.

DeBord seems more like repaying a debt, for helping Butch get started long ago...than hiring the most qualified....TODAY.

Rod Smith or Calvin MaGee would be guys that we could all be happy about. Bill Legg's offense is VERY similar to ours...and his Marshall offense was the 2nd most prolific in College (FBS), last year.

One of my favorites would be Meacham at TCU. Smaller program than our own...and less talent overall. But they manhandled both Oklahoma and Ole Miss, this year. Two teams that didn't just beat us, but thumped us, soundly.

Give him Dobbs, North, Malone, Pearson, Hurd and Wolf...and he can hand out the same kind of azz-whoopin's he gave OK and Ole Miss.

Call it "sexy" hire if you will. It's just a matter of looking at who has demonstrated success at that position, lately. It's what any employer is looking for.

I for one agree with you. It seems like a no-brainer that you would at least make the guy say no before you move on to other candidates. Can't we make the home-run hire just once? Must we always try to find the "diamond in the ruff" when making a coaching hire?

This.

It's as if some (most?....vast majority even?) on here think Butch just went full retard overnight. Have you already forgotten the atrocious play calling by Handjackian?

On the other hand, I know for a fact why Butch hired him. He wanted someone that would be easy to fire in 1-2 years so he can hire Peyton when he retires. :)

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove: Sorry, I had to. I couldn't resist.

Its Butch's offense and Jake was his OC for 8 years. The new OC won't make or break this offense... because its Butch's.

...and has failed miserably almost every time. I like Butch as much as the next guy, and I am super excited about our chances to win the division next year. That is why I REALLY want Butch to knock this thing (OC hire) out of the park.

But, I'm terribly concerned that Butch may be falling victim to the familiarity/association trap (ie, like Hamilton did Hiring Kiffin and Dooley based on their familiarity/association with Monte and Saban, respectively) with DeBord. Just blindly defending what appears to be a bad hire, has a terrible track record lately.

Nothing about his resume says "prolific" The 97 NC team had an average offense, but great defense. His offense doesn't even remotely resemble what Butch has since developed AFTER his association with DeBord.

Butch's offense mirrors that of Rich Rodriguez, whose current offense is putting up big numbers. Hiring one of his co-OC's would therefore make the most sense. Both of whom Butch has worked with since.

DeBord seems more like repaying a debt, for helping Butch get started long ago...than hiring the most qualified....TODAY.

Rod Smith or Calvin MaGee would be guys that we could all be happy about. Bill Legg's offense is VERY similar to ours...and his Marshall offense was the 2nd most prolific in College (FBS), last year.

One of my favorites would be Meacham at TCU. Smaller program than our own...and less talent overall. But they manhandled both Oklahoma and Ole Miss, this year. Two teams that didn't just beat us, but thumped us, soundly.

Give him Dobbs, North, Malone, Pearson, Hurd and Wolf...and he can hand out the same kind of azz-whoopin's he gave OK and Ole Miss.

Call it "sexy" hire if you will. It's just a matter of looking at who has demonstrated success at that position, lately. It's what any employer is looking for.

I trust Coach Butch Jones.

Butch jones has won everywhere he's been, took a ut program that was on life support and has 2 straight top 10 recruiting classes in his first two years. He's selling out neyland and has brought the fan base back together. Let him do what's best for the program in HIS OPINION. He's a lot smarter and more successful than any of you idiots trying to give him advice and knock his decisions. He's done everything he could have possibly done his first two years at ut and I'm proud to have him as our coach. I promise he could care less about the idiots on volnation bad mouthing his decisions. Makes no sense to bad mouth whoever he hires until you give them a chance and it doesn't work out. I'll trust butch until he gives me a reason not to and so far imo he's done his job to perfection.

CBJ opinion > your opinion.

Butch jones has won everywhere he's been, took a ut program that was on life support and has 2 straight top 10 recruiting classes in his first two years. He's selling out neyland and has brought the fan base back together. Let him do what's best for the program in HIS OPINION. He's a lot smarter and more successful than any of you idiots trying to give him advice and knock his decisions. He's done everything he could have possibly done his first two years at ut and I'm proud to have him as our coach. I promise he could care less about the idiots on volnation bad mouthing his decisions. Makes no sense to bad mouth whoever he hires until you give them a chance and it doesn't work out. I'll trust butch until he gives me a reason not to and so far imo he's done his job to perfection.

Don't you mean that Butch "couldn't care less," instead of he "could care less?" Because if he "could care less," that means that he does care. To be able to "care less," you have to care.

Trust the coach as opposed to what? Do you think we should all be the "Fire Coach X!" kind of idiots that think that what they say on a message board makes one shred of difference weather a coach is fired or hired. The depth of delusion that some people display is scarey sometimes.

Who cares who trusts a coach or not? We will find out if Butch has "knocked this hire out of the park" or not in a little less than a year and at no time before that will a conclusion be drawn. People can make this hire out to be the best or worst hire in the history of football but until the games are played nobody really knows a damn thing. I would suggest not getting to juiced up about it either way. At least not until game 1 of 2015.

Last edited:
Don't you mean that Butch "couldn't care less," instead of he "could care less?" Because if he "could care less," that means that he does care. To be able to "care less," you have to care.

Correct, I apologize for my mistake. lol

Trust the coach as opposed to what? Do you think we should all be the "Fire Coach X!" kind of idiots that think that what they say on a message board makes one shred of difference weather a coach is fired or hired. The depth of delusion that some people display is scarey sometimes. Who cares who trusts a coach or not? We will find out if Butch has "knocked this hire out of the park" or not in a little less than a year and at no time before that will a conclusion be drawn. People can make this hire out to be the best or worst hire in the history of football but until the games are played nobody really knows a damn thing. I would suggest not getting to juiced up about it either. At least not until game 1 of 2015.

Knocked that post outa the park. Go vols.

Reactions: 2 people
Trust the coach as opposed to what? Do you think we should all be the "Fire Coach X!" kind of idiots that think that what they say on a message board makes one shred of difference weather a coach is fired or hired. The depth of delusion that some people display is scarey sometimes.

Who cares who trusts a coach or not? We will find out if Butch has "knocked this hire out of the park" or not in a little less than a year and at no time before that will a conclusion be drawn. People can make this hire out to be the best or worst hire in the history of football but until the games are played nobody really knows a damn thing. I would suggest not getting to juiced up about it either way. At least not until game 1 of 2015.

I couldn't agree more. Go back and see what these same coaching gurus said when CBJ was hired. Like from me for the common sense.

VN Store

Back