I trust Coach ______ defense is used EVERY time

Furthermore if you could call up 10 of the top oc's in the country all would love to have any one of:

Dobbs: projected to have a breakout year
Hurd: expected to build up freshman year and a top 3 breakout player in the country.
Kamara: former 5* 1200+ yds in JC
North: one of the top wr in the sec provided he's healthy.
The list can go on and on...

To tell me that no top offensive coordinators don't want to be here is absurd. Something else is going on here..

Sorry you are so wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
You have to look at this situationally. CBJ wants to keep taking steps forward. The best way to do that is to NOT change the offense going into this year. He has said as much that he wants to maintain the offensive system, terminology, etc. If you hire a "splash" OC, he is going to require coming in and implementing his system. With new systems come growing pains. We have just started to see a pulse, and we want to take steps backwards.

So, the best options are to hire a guy that is very familiar with the offense. Debord seems to fit that mold with CZA being plan B. Jimmy H. said he thought that Debord had some potential NFL opportunities we might have to wait through....but consider the "source".

It's hilarious how much more people think they know than the guy who is the actual expert. They're the same people who can't tell the difference between a trap, a lead, a counter etc, but think they can just Google up the right guy for Offensive Coordinator.

I know very little about this guy. I also knew very little about the playcalling ability of Walt Harris, Al Saunders, Phil Fulmer and David Cutcliffe when they got the job. They all worked out.

I'm an expert. Check my stats

oh, I agree with that too. It's no wonder that people are gun-shy about a key coaching change. But when message board guy acts expert and indignant about something as nuanced as an assistant coach hire, it sets off my BS detector.

You act as if comparing OC resumes is some sort of difficult science.

Reactions: 4 people
...and has failed miserably almost every time. I like Butch as much as the next guy, and I am super excited about our chances to win the division next year. That is why I REALLY want Butch to knock this thing (OC hire) out of the park.

But, I'm terribly concerned that Butch may be falling victim to the familiarity/association trap (ie, like Hamilton did Hiring Kiffin and Dooley based on their familiarity/association with Monte and Saban, respectively) with DeBord. Just blindly defending what appears to be a bad hire, has a terrible track record lately.

Nothing about his resume says "prolific" The 97 NC team had an average offense, but great defense. His offense doesn't even remotely resemble what Butch has since developed AFTER his association with DeBord.

Butch's offense mirrors that of Rich Rodriguez, whose current offense is putting up big numbers. Hiring one of his co-OC's would therefore make the most sense. Both of whom Butch has worked with since.

DeBord seems more like repaying a debt, for helping Butch get started long ago...than hiring the most qualified....TODAY.

Rod Smith or Calvin MaGee would be guys that we could all be happy about. Bill Legg's offense is VERY similar to ours...and his Marshall offense was the 2nd most prolific in College (FBS), last year.

One of my favorites would be Meacham at TCU. Smaller program than our own...and less talent overall. But they manhandled both Oklahoma and Ole Miss, this year. Two teams that didn't just beat us, but thumped us, soundly.

Give him Dobbs, North, Malone, Pearson, Hurd and Wolf...and he can hand out the same kind of azz-whoopin's he gave OK and Ole Miss.

Call it "sexy" hire if you will. It's just a matter of looking at who has demonstrated success at that position, lately. It's what any employer is looking for.

Amen Brudder!!!

Sorry you are so wrong.

Please tell me how I am wrong.

Dobbs will be one of the most experienced qbs returning in league play.

I'm sure Saban could tell you about having two high profile backs.

North, Von and co are just lcing on the cake.

You have to look at this situationally. CBJ wants to keep taking steps forward. The best way to do that is to NOT change the offense going into this year. He has said as much that he wants to maintain the offensive system, terminology, etc. If you hire a "splash" OC, he is going to require coming in and implementing his system. With new systems come growing pains. We have just started to see a pulse, and we want to take steps backwards.

So, the best options are to hire a guy that is very familiar with the offense. Debord seems to fit that mold with CZA being plan B. Jimmy H. said he thought that Debord had some potential NFL opportunities we might have to wait through....but consider the "source".

The chances of this taking a lot of steps backwards is more probable than it taking the nessasary steps forward.

Your right, he is the hc and pardon me for hoping he would have more sense having a leading candidate that's been out of the game for almost a decade.

If I were wagging my future I would at least treat all applicants with the same respect not have all but one at the airport bar over stale pretzels and flat beer.

Please provide empirical evidence that the above listed scenario actually happened.

3am posts usually make for an interesting morning.

I've made some 3 am phone calls I'd sure as hell like to have back...

On topic: I trust Coach Jones and his staff* to continue moving the program forward to where we fans want the program to be... challenging for championships.

*I reserve the right to stop trusting CBJ and staff at any time for any reason.

lol. Well, case closed. Have you ever told Gruden your theory on the value of coaches who aren't currently being paid to coach?

Thats the most intriguing part of that candidate.

It would be interesting to know if this guy is out of coaching because his value has dropped (thus dropping interest) or he is just waiting for a better job.

Lol at the term splash hire. You guys love cliches. Frost and maybe Norvell are the only guys I've seen associated with the opening who could be considered splash hires. Most of them are simply on the way up or guys that you would think would be familiar with butch or vice versa.

The chances of this taking a lot of steps backwards is more probable than it taking the nessasary steps forward.

So hiring a guy to run same offense will set us back more than hiring a "name" and starting from scratch with a unit that was just starting to show a pulse and identity?

Thats the most intriguing part of that candidate.

It would be interesting to know if this guy is out of coaching because his value has dropped (thus dropping interest) or he is just waiting for a better job.

I agree. Jimmy H did say on the radio that he had heard Debord has some NFL options he might have to weigh. Sounds like he is ready to get back in the saddle. Some guys need a break to step back and recharge the batteries.....not saying that's the case here. Should be interesting.

I agree. Jimmy H did say on the radio that he had heard Debord has some NFL options he might have to weigh. Sounds like he is ready to get back in the saddle. Some guys need a break to step back and recharge the batteries.....not saying that's the case here. Should be interesting.

Haven't heard that.
Of course most of the time if someone is being approached, there are always "other options" or "interest" to drive the contract in the direction you desire.

We're talking about folks not voicing concerns about some of the decisions coaches may make....usually having to do with staff hires. Such as the hiring of "the best staff in America"

Can I be accused of using the "I trust coach defense" with Jones?

I have acknowledged that this hire would be confusing in ways. But so were most of his original hires.... so was he for that matter. Remember, we had no idea he would recruit at this level. He'd never done it before.... then he brought that staff with him and booted some guys that were thought to be critical to UT's recruiting.

He has to find a guy who fits. Skill is fine but you have to have the right chemistry.

Few here have any conception of the process used to vet guys before hiring them... and yet many want to assume that Jones would or would even be allowed to make a haphazard decision. To get the job I have now, I had a 2 hour phone interview followed by 8 hours of interviews in person. I then flew to the corporate office for more interviews and about 4 hours with an industrial psychologist who both interviewed me and gave me a battery of assessments designed to make sure I "fit" the company. THEN... I went through a 15 month training program to continue the evaluation of whether I fit and if I did... where.

I can only assume that UT goes WELL beyond what I endured before adding a football coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Furthermore if you could call up 10 of the top oc's in the country all would love to have any one of:

Dobbs: projected to have a breakout year
Hurd: expected to build up freshman year and a top 3 breakout player in the country.
Kamara: former 5* 1200+ yds in JC
North: one of the top wr in the sec provided he's healthy.
The list can go on and on...

To tell me that no top offensive coordinators don't want to be here is absurd. Something else is going on here..

The ominous 'something going on here line' was the icing on the cake.

you know what? I bet Butch is intentionally trying to sabotage UT football because, after all, he is nothing more than an agent of Dave Hart who we all know is secretly a Bama plant sent to destroy the Mighty Vol's athletics programs!!

Butch is the boss of this company. Generally speaking, the boss has final say on who he hires. I have yet to work at place where the boss always made sure that the guy who emptied the trash at night gave the OK first before hiring any new execs.

I can understand how DeBord may not be the sexiest of hires or how us fans might have had something else in mind. I get that. What I don't get is this over-the-type demand that VolNations' voices be heard so that Butch can see the error of his ways.

I think I am pretty smart guy and a big fan of UT football. That being said, I don't need ANY hands to county how many coordinators I have hired in my tenure as a smart guy and a fan. In fact, I am guessing very few of us have with the exception of Butch, that is.

the guy was a hero after landing yet another stocked EE class but now he is the class clown and intent our destroying 'our' team. WTF?? You may not like the decision but at least take a deep breath before diving headfirst into the deep end.

BTW, Dudleys, this is not directed solely at you. I honestly can't understand how fickle so much of the fan base can be. We were 100% behind the brick by brick approach but now are equally certain that Butch is trying to self-destruct the foundation he's built?????

Can I be accused of using the "I trust coach defense" with Jones?

I have acknowledged that this hire would be confusing in ways. But so were most of his original hires.... so was he for that matter. Remember, we had no idea he would recruit at this level. He'd never done it before.... then he brought that staff with him and booted some guys that were thought to be critical to UT's recruiting.

He has to find a guy who fits. Skill is fine but you have to have the right chemistry.

Few here have any conception of the process used to vet guys before hiring them... and yet many want to assume that Jones would or would even be allowed to make a haphazard decision. To get the job I have now, I had a 2 hour phone interview followed by 8 hours of interviews in person. I then flew to the corporate office for more interviews and about 4 hours with an industrial psychologist who both interviewed me and gave me a battery of assessments designed to make sure I "fit" the company. THEN... I went through a 15 month training program to continue the evaluation of whether I fit and if I did... where.

I can only assume that UT goes WELL beyond what I endured before adding a football coach.

Given the magnitude of $$ at stake, I would hope that UT would go well beyond.

Given some of the hires in the recent past, I would think that UT may fall far short.

Butch is the boss of this company. Generally speaking, the boss has final say on who he hires.

I believe it incorrect that CBJ is the "boss" of the UT football company, and that he has sole discretion on who he hires.

You act as if comparing OC resumes is some sort of difficult science.

It's not. The problem is that I don't think most of our posters have the first clue about what an OC is doing except for the 3 hrs on Saturday when they think he's dialing up plays like they do on Xbox.

Reactions: 4 people
I believe it incorrect that CBJ is the "boss" of the UT football company, and that he has sole discretion on who he hires.

I am not sure how the veto authority is wielded but am sure that Jones has to sell a number of people on any choice he makes.

I agree that there are some 'bigger bosses' surrounding UT football but I suspect they only weigh in when it's time to change the 'little boss.'

I can't see Haslam dropping everything on his plate to help determine the next OC or receivers coach. At the same time, I'm pretty sure he is actively involved in determining the next Head Coach.

VN Store

Back