I have my doubts

VolGirlinMaryvill

First of all, please let me say that I hope I am wrong in what I'm about to say. I love the Vols and want nothing but sucess for our football team, so I want nothing but success for our new coach.

Still, I am underwhelmed and fearful about about this hire. Basically, Kiffin has a very short resume. Bottom line, he was a successful assistant at USC -- but how much of that success was due to him and how much was due to Pete Carrol and the system. i.e. couldn't anyone go in an recruit well and win with the talent at USC? His one foray into head coaching was disastrous, although much of that surely must also be placed on his surroundings.

The most common "positive" thing I hear people saying about him is that he'll bring his dad in to coach the defense. But isn't it an underhanded indictment of a man and his merits if the best thing you can say about him is that his dad is going to be working with him?

I'm not saying he's not going to be a good coach -- I'm just worried because I don't think we have enough information to go on. And I don't understand why we hired a man who is basically just an assistant so far when there were other head coaches we could have and should have gone after harder.

Again, I hope that all of my fears are unfounded and years from now we are all saying, "That was the best coach we could have hired!" Go Vols!

First of all, please let me say that I hope I am wrong in what I'm about to say. I love the Vols and want nothing but sucess for our football team, so I want nothing but success for our new coach.

Still, I am underwhelmed and fearful about about this hire. Basically, Kiffin has a very short resume. Bottom line, he was a successful assistant at USC -- but how much of that success was due to him and how much was due to Pete Carrol and the system. i.e. couldn't anyone go in an recruit well and win with the talent at USC? His one foray into head coaching was disastrous, although much of that surely must also be placed on his surroundings.

The most common "positive" thing I hear people saying about him is that he'll bring his dad in to coach the defense. But isn't it an underhanded indictment of a man and his merits if the best thing you can say about him is that his dad is going to be working with him?

I'm not saying he's not going to be a good coach -- I'm just worried because I don't think we have enough information to go on. And I don't understand why we hired a man who is basically just an assistant so far when there were other head coaches we could have and should have gone after harder.

Again, I hope that all of my fears are unfounded and years from now we are all saying, "That was the best coach we could have hired!" Go Vols!

Guess you missed the press conference...

how long was Phil's resume before his hire? Bear Bryant? Mark Richt?

What did you think about the Presser?

During the presser he talked about the fact that when he started at USC, they were nowhere near the powerhouse they are now, and that it was not as easy at one might think nowadays to recruit for them

IMO, he sounded very, very young and inexperienced at his press conference. He didn't have confidence or command respect. Just my thoughts, though.

Those who are citing Richt, etc, etc -- I hope you are right. Please don't read this thread as Kiffin bashing. I would be the happiest person in the world if I am wrong.

And no, my name is not Allison.

IMO, he sounded very, very young and inexperienced at his press conference. He didn't have confidence or command respect. Just my thoughts, though.

Those who are citing Richt, etc, etc -- I hope you are right. Please don't read this thread as Kiffin bashing. I would be the happiest person in the world if I am wrong.

unexperienced? respect? I dont think you watched the same press conf. that I did.

Welcome to the Board. :hi:

Lane said when he started recruiting for USC, that they were coming off a 6-6 season where they lost to Utah in a low-tier bowl game.

We will definitely be bringing in solid players as long as he is here. Not to mention we just brought in Reaves who put together a top 10 recruiting class at South Carolina, yea South Carolina. He is currently retaining a few of our better recruiters. Talent will not be an issue for this team.

Lane said when he started recruiting for USC, that they were coming off a 7-6 season where they lost to Utah in a low-tier bowl game.

We will definitely be bringing in solid players as long as he is here. Not to mention we just brought in Reaves who put together a top 10 recruiting class at South Carolina, yea South Carolina. He is currently retaining a few of our better recruiters. Talent will not be an issue for this team.

6-6 not 7-6

I hope that Kiffin does not bring Bill Callahan with him. That could be too similar to what happened to the Huskers. They hired a former Raiders coach (Callahan) and he got rid of all of their tradition. Don't expect that from Coach Kiffin after hearing the press conference. But I can't stand Bill Callahan after hearing what he did to the alumni players at Nebraska.

Nevertheless, welcome aboard.

Nevertheless, welcome aboard.

Thanks, VolnAla.

VolMania, that's a little harsh, isn't it. I'm just saying I have some doubts still to be answered. Oh, and Bear Bryant had been a head coach at Kentucky and Texas A&M before going to Alabama. Citing him actually helps my point.

Didn't have confidence? Did we watch the same press conference? :huh:

Thanks, VolnAla.

VolMania, that's a little harsh, isn't it. I'm just saying I have some doubts still to be answered. Oh, and Bear Bryant had been a head coach at Kentucky and Texas A&M before going to Alabama. Citing him actually helps my point.

I think bear also coached at maryland before bammer as well

I know I like it when I see it or hear it.

Seriously, guys, I wasn't trying to start a fight. Just expressing an opinion.

I know I like it when I see it or hear it.

Seriously, guys, I wasn't trying to start a fight. Just expressing an opinion.

Welcome VolGirl. If we don't argue a little, what's the point of a message board?

I know we are in the south and all, but may I ask how old you are?

VN Store

Back