I have my doubts

Thanks, VolnAla.

VolMania, that's a little harsh, isn't it. I'm just saying I have some doubts still to be answered. Oh, and Bear Bryant had been a head coach at Kentucky and Texas A&M before going to Alabama. Citing him actually helps my point.

Welcome! You'll fit in just fine around here.:hi:

IMO, he sounded very, very young and inexperienced at his press conference. He didn't have confidence or command respect. Just my thoughts, though.

Those who are citing Richt, etc, etc -- I hope you are right. Please don't read this thread as Kiffin bashing. I would be the happiest person in the world if I am wrong.

And no, my name is not Allison.

I think there are quite a few people who feel like you do... in a way the whole situation reminds me of Mike Shula at Alabama(which is not good). Someone commented on TV the other day, that he was "a player's coach". Well that may work in the NFL, but not necessarily in college. As I said in another post, the jury is out and the clock is ticking...

In the meantime, we'll wait and see and HOPE!!

Welcome aboard, it's always nice to have other ladies on the board.

We should have went with another ex-NFL coach that had more experience or a more well known NCAA coach. However trying to get a coach from a place like Boise St., Oklahoma St. or some other well know school is unlikely. I've got second thoughts on this hire too. Will see what happens over the next 3 years. That how long I give him and his staff to get the Vols among the top 20 or maybe the top 15. Is that asking too much?
I'm a VOL FAN ALL THE WAY!

Did anyone else notice during the press conference this afternoon that he looked scared out his mind? Maybe he just doesn't handle the press that well, his eyes were all wide and googly like and he looked like he was shaking a bit, but maybe he just doesn't do press conferences. Anyways, great to be a Vol and looking forward to success.

I enjoyed the Press Conference and it was weird to see the term "new head coach at Tennessee" because I was too young to remember when Fulmer took over.

But although the idea of having Lane Kiffin who's a young coach with a defensive genius for a father seems good in general I just can't get excited over it.Ever since the news broke that he was our next coach I just can't grasp the idea of Kiffin being able to follow in the footsteps of past UT greats such as Neyland,Majors,and Fulmer.

I previously stated that we shouldn't hire Kiffin because he proved he was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen when it comes to game preparation and because he never showed that "it" factor a coach needs to motivate men.

I don't see how it will translate into the college ranks with young men who are even harder to motivate.But on the contrary I believe his name and somewhat familiarity among young athletes will help him recruit some very good talent to UT.

I'm hoping for the best and I hope one day I can be proud of Kiffin and have faith in him to restore my ego when it comes to college football but until then all I can say is that I miss Phil.

Did anyone else notice during the press conference this afternoon that he looked scared out his mind? Maybe he just doesn't handle the press that well, his eyes were all wide and googly like and he looked like he was shaking a bit, but maybe he just doesn't do press conferences. Anyways, great to be a Vol and looking forward to success.
He naturally looks rattled during press conferences espescially after a loss.

He started off nervous but found his groove and finished out rather impressively. I would have been concerned if he didn't understand the situation he is getting into and wasn't nervous

ugggh you just don't quit do you...He was a tad jittery at first when he was giving his "speech" when he touched on ALOT of tough topics....
Fulmer's ouster and the D staff
Him not wanting to replace Fulmer ect...
then he talked football and became a powerful force and took control of the room...

Enough said!

well great recruits make average coaches look like world beaters,,and i think he can get us some of the best players out there.

I previously stated that we shouldn't hire Kiffin because he proved he was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen when it comes to game preparation and because he never showed that "it" factor a coach needs to motivate men.

link? or did you miss when he was the OC for the greatest offense in college football history?

You are entitled to your opinion of the new head coach as much as those that do like him. I would hope that you are able to keep an open mind once football starts again next year.

I don't see how it will translate into the college ranks with young men who are even harder to motivate.
single silliest comment of the day. Congrats on winning such a highly sought after award.

I enjoyed the Press Conference and it was weird to see the term "new head coach at Tennessee" because I was too young to remember when Fulmer took over.

But although the idea of having Lane Kiffin who's a young coach with a defensive genius for a father seems good in general I just can't get excited over it.Ever since the news broke that he was our next coach I just can't grasp the idea of Kiffin being able to follow in the footsteps of past UT greats such as Neyland,Majors,and Fulmer.

I don't see how it will translate into the college ranks with young men who are even harder to motivate.But on the contrary I believe his name and somewhat familiarity among young athletes will help him recruit some very good talent to UT.

I'm hoping for the best and I hope one day I can be proud of Kiffin and have faith in him to restore my ego when it comes to college football but until then all I can say is that I miss Phil.

You really feel that it is harder to motivate young kids than veteran pro players?

Two of your greats at HC were also fired!

Last edited:
link? or did you miss when he was the OC for the greatest offense in college football history?
Really?
I could've swore that the offense the previous season when they won the NC was a better offense.

Hell,Nick Holt is the DC for the greatest defense I've ever seen and he failed as a HC.

So lets not get too ahead of ourselves by guessing the success of a HC due to past roles as a coordinator.

Sometimes it works other times it doesnt.

VN Store

Back