I guess 62 wasn’t enough to shut Mizzou mouth

This was hardly the "trashing of UT" that was being portrayed in headlines. Consider it part of our clickbait culture. If anything, it's sad that an SEC coach would be wishfully hoping for an amended record vs a Jeremy Pruitt team - even if it was tongue in cheek. Eli is just biding his time until MO cuts him a large check for no longer being their coach.

Im so glad that Tennessee has a coach that appears to focus on his business/program and comments on absolutely nothing or anyone else.

Reactions: Vol737
it seemed a little tongue in cheek. People are very easily upset.
Of course it was tongue in cheek. He probably assumed Rome was going to talk about his record and his future at MO and decided to preemptively change the subject. I guess he felt like TN was a convenient target to get the focus off of his crappy job. Now, since the SEC has a rule in place regarding coaches talking negatively about other SEC programs, wonder if he'll be hearing from Mr. Sankey soon?

The last thing I'd do, if I were him, would be to revisit that beat down he took at home last year by Tennessee! He's not just classless, he's stupid!

I like the enthusiasm but we need to temper our expectations. We had a great year relatively speaking and our offence lit up the scoreboard for sure. But we were a surprise to everyone last year. I think we do well this year and even improve in the W/L column but I think people will adapt to us this year and tamp down those gaudy numbers from last year. We improve on Defense and that's where we pick up the extra wins, not because our offence gets better. Realistically our offense should take a slight step back. I would love to be wrong.........but I doubt it.......

Help me remember. Wasnt this the same coach that we literally scored on every single possession the entire game?

In the past several years of Tennessee football, we put up the most dominating performance against his team last year.

Some people should just shut up.

it seemed a little tongue in cheek. People are very easily upset.

Yes that's exactly how I saw it. He as trying to be funny. Even said he needed to talk to his wife about getting on board more, which was a reference to Pruitt's wife being mentioned in the allegations letter of helping with the payouts. The click bait title worked for Hooker. It was not a TN hatchet job. Lighten up some of you. Hooker got you.

I don't use the word "hate" very often and certainly no where it comes to Mo. Just them being on the SEC and more especially the eastern div. (dumb) But I fear things are gonna get worse. Just what defines the southeast??

Yes!! Not a fan of the evolving “Super Conferences”. Not that there aren’t historically good programs coming in to the league, but it just dilutes the personality of the SEC as we know it, IMO. I guess that’s where it’s headed though and times are changing.

Reactions: savannahfan
I like the enthusiasm but we need to temper our expectations. We had a great year relatively speaking and our offence lit up the scoreboard for sure. But we were a surprise to everyone last year. I think we do well this year and even improve in the W/L column but I think people will adapt to us this year and tamp down those gaudy numbers from last year. We improve on Defense and that's where we pick up the extra wins, not because our offence gets better. Realistically our offense should take a slight step back. I would love to be wrong.........but I doubt it.......

Vols return essentially the entire o line from last season and the unit will be deeper, WR group with a legit NFL draft pick (Tillman) along with many other good prospects to develop, A QB that is arguably second best in the SEC that will playing on Sundays, Solid stable of RBs, and Two senior TEs (Jacob Warren is going to find a roster spot in league). I do not see how this offense regresses the second year in the same system with many of the same guys returning. Losing Velus Jones was a significant loss, but Heupel has shown he can develop WRs that are unproven.

Dump Mizzou, replace with Virginia or Virginia Tech. If Vandy is dumped ( which I doubt will EVER happen) replace with WVU, Memphis, or Clemson. Maybe just topiss off UK, invite Louisville.

Reactions: Megatron88
This was hardly the "trashing of UT" that was being portrayed in headlines. Consider it part of our clickbait culture...

Perfectly said. I almost knew it was going to be some overblown bit of nothing before even hearing his actual comments.

As a Volunteer fan, this doesn't upset me. As someone who appreciates a good laugh, it's kind of embarrassing how he clumsily setup his own lame punch line. Compare this to Josh's "better coaching" quip in the SECMD interview, which was a lot funnier and a lot more cleverly delivered.

Vols return essentially the entire o line from last season and the unit will be deeper, WR group with a legit NFL draft pick (Tillman) along with many other good prospects to develop, A QB that is arguably second best in the SEC that will playing on Sundays, Solid stable of RBs, and Two senior TEs (Jacob Warren is going to find a roster spot in league). I do not see how this offense regresses the second year in the same system with many of the same guys returning. Losing Velus Jones was a significant loss, but Heupel has shown he can develop WRs that are unproven.

All true. But Hooker has more than 1 season under his belt and the others weren't quite as shiny as last season. We don't know if last year was a fluke or a sign of things to come. It's one data point out of 3 if I recall correctly. Do I think he chokes next season? No. but following up last season is hard. Same for Tillman. We are going to need broad improvement across the entire spectrum of the team. I still don't see a running back to get excited about and I don't see a single defensive player, regardless of experience level that I would consider a game changer. As I said, I would love to be wrong.

Mizzou caught us at the right time when they entered the conference and they think they should be on the top two in the East every year because of it. I really wish we would hang 100 on them in Neyland this year to really shut them up.

I don't use the word "hate" very often and certainly no where it comes to Mo. Just them being on the SEC and more especially the eastern div. (dumb) But I fear things are gonna get worse. Just what defines the southeast??
Washington to Florida, Maine to Arizona. Real definition of southeast, $.

Reactions: savannahfan
He sure seems to talk a lot for not having much to back it up. Glad we have coach who has more class.
For whatever reason he seems to be a media darling. Does media think he actually has something to say of relevance or do they just enjoy showing what an a$$clown he is? Most of todays media reporting is pathetic.

VN Store

Back