I don't think some of you get it

I will agree with the statement that your team has to be subpar to not make a bowl if you're playing Ohio State's schedule or in a smaller conference. When I look at who Tennessee has played this year, when they've played them and the state that our team is in (starting tons of freshmen, patchwork O-Line etc.) I think it's an accomplishment to make a bowl.

Well said.

Reactions: 1 person
We replaced both lines, had a killer schedule, had crucial injuries, had the captain of the team get suspended, and we are going to a bowl game. Tonight was ugly and we limped through the finish line, but what do you expect when you have backup guards playing tackle.

Give Butch some time.

Set an SEC record with most true freshman ever played in the SEC. But that's no big deal playing these kids 1 year removed from high school in the greatest football conference in America......

Some of these Vol fans have no clue at all about football. Their life must be really sad all the time.

Reactions: 4 people
It could have easily been a lost game over a very over matched opponent.

Instead, we get a center who can't snap the ball, wide receivers who can't get open down field, guards who can't decide who to hit on the D line, a QB who gets pressured into some awful throws, and atrocious fundamentals from the entire O line but in particular the tackles who display some of the worst footwork in the SEC.

OK buddy do you have any idea what is going on in reality .

1. Crowder out only true center is injured

2. A true freshman playing guard who was probably playing injured

3. A walk on left tackle with once acl.

4. Freshman right tackle who should probably be playing guard.

5. About 5 injured wide receivers.

6. A starting qb who probably really needed one more year to be sec reday butbut his redshirt was used and he was thrown into action because of lack of quality upper classuman depth at the position.

Winning any game is good coaching against those odds

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thank you very much good Sir!

OK buddy do you have any idea what is going on in reality .

1. Crowder out only true center is injured

2. A true freshman playing guard who was probably playing injured

3. A walk on left tackle with once acl.

4. Freshman right tackle who should probably be playing guard.

5. About 5 injured wide receivers.

6. A starting qb who probably really needed one more year to be sec reday but was thrown into action because of lack of quality upper classuman depth at the position.

Winning any game is good coaching against those odds

Set an SEC record with most true freshman ever played in the SEC. But that's no big deal playing these kids 1 year removed from high school in the greatest football conference in America......

Some of these Vol fans have no clue at all about football. Their life must be really sad all the time.

And some dim vol fans well make excuses for everything.

You do know that Tennessee plays on the SEC every year right? That freshmen play at every school?

Your Excuses are tired and played out.

Everyone understands that UT has had to overcome a lot this year.

There is no excuse in having to sweat out a 7 point win at Vandy. This Vandy team is pathetic. 3-9 pathetic. Horribly coached and using 4 quarterbacks pathetic.

Everyone is happy about the win. Everyone is happy to be bowling.
Not everyone sees barely beating Vandy as a harbinger of doom for the rest of the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person

Self centered genius couch coaches

And some dim vol fans well make excuses for everything.

You do know that Tennessee plays on the SEC every year right? That freshmen play at every school?

Your Excuses are tired and played out.

Everyone understands that UT has had to overcome a lot this year.

There is no excuse in having to sweat out a 7 point win at Vandy. This Vandy team is pathetic. 3-9 pathetic. Horribly coached and using 4 quarterbacks pathetic.

Everyone is happy about the win. Everyone is happy to be bowling.
Not everyone sees barely beating Vandy as a harbinger of doom for the rest of the SEC.

Yes a Vandy team that had their best qb healthy for the vols but did not play due to injury in earlier games.. Qb makes a huge difference

We replaced both lines, had a killer schedule, had crucial injuries, had the captain of the team get suspended, and we are going to a bowl game. Tonight was ugly and we limped through the finish line, but what do you expect when you have backup guards playing tackle.

Give Butch some time.

don't forget to add in some bad coaching.

Expect Vandy defense to continue to improve under Mason. They will get harder to score on the longer he is there.

Many post here seem to be by fans still emotional from a tough game. And sorry to be critical, but most posters here probably don't know as much about coaching football as they think. Possibly numbers will tell us where we are more objectively.

They are Vandy and we are UT, huge historical difference but recent recruiting is closer to even:
Average stars Vandy So - Sr class - 3 (Fr. 2.77)
Average stars UT So - Sr class 3.23 (Fr. 3.65) !!!!

Last year's schedule - 10th(Sagarin's ranking) Last year's record 5-7
This year's schedule - 7th (Sagarin's ranking) This year's record 6-6

Final Sagarin ranking last year 60th.
Current Sagarin ranking after Vandy game 30th.

Average class ranking of 5.5 for 14/15
Assuming the number 6 ranking holds, 14/15 will be the best back-to-back recruiting years since at least 02/03 (rivals doesn't have team rankings before 02/03).
Note about this one: I would have expected to find better averages in the Fulmer years!! Fulmer's best two year average was 10th. Kiffin's only class and Dooley's first averaged 9.5.

Bowl games we played last year 0
Bowl games we will play this year 1!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see some reason for hope in these numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Man, everybody wants to see power sweeps, option plays, play action passes, and deep throws, including the coaches. But when you have a team as young and banged up as the Vols were/are, well, a LOT of that stuff goes out the window and you play things SIMPLE. They do it in pee-wee, they do it in the NFL. And coach Jones did it against Vandy. And it WORKED. And now we go bowling. I can't wait for next season!

It could have easily been a lost game over a very over matched opponent.

You won't find any posts of me on here complaining last week much over the loss to Missouri.

They are a good, well coached team and deserved to win with 1 and possibly 2 first round picks on the D line. I don't think Vandy has a 1st round pick in their program right now that I can think of off hand.

Vanderbilt has been pathetic and I don't care what the past records were under Fulmer.

This team showed the same as those Fulmer teams last night, overlooking an opponent and scraping by when they have a chance to make a statement.

Instead, we get a center who can't snap the ball, wide receivers who can't get open down field, guards who can't decide who to hit on the D line, a QB who gets pressured into some awful throws, and atrocious fundamentals from the entire O line but in particular the tackles who display some of the worst footwork in the SEC.

You do realize that our whole offense was the "B" team, right?

This. Exactly this. Times a million.

Injuries killed us. Tonight alone, Hurd, North, Croom and Crowder. HUGE losses on offense. I won't even count AJ and Willams.

23 true freshman we started. Zero players started on either line. We play in the toughest conference in the country. That's all you need to know.

Could not agree more but you cannot reason with a nega-Vol. They would find something to ***** about even if we went undefeated and we won the Championship. :thud:

Looking forward to next year when UT will once again be a contender. :good!:

GBO :rock:

VN Store

Back