I am humbly amused by Ms. Staley's misfortune...

Her first four seasons as the coach at SC were way below what Kellie has done. That is a fact. She needs talent everybody does. She has more than anybody by a lot right now. I hope it evens out then we'll see how good she can do with the X and 0. I thought she really should've gotten Boston more shots yesterday and less for Cook and Henderson.

Are you seriously comparing what Dawn started off with to what Kelly inherited? The year Dawn won the SEC her talent level was not as great as what Tennesse has now. SC had a solid team with 1 McDonalds All American. Tennessee was loaded that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Still take Kellies team.....hands down.

Nothing wrong with that. I will ride with Dawn. I hope you will be singing that same tune in the next few years. I really mean that because the Lady Vols are my second favorite team. I don't lose sleep over them losing but I do pull for them.

Are you seriously comparing what Dawn started off with to what Kelly inherited? The year Dawn won the SEC her talent level was not as great as what Tennesse has now. SC had a solid team with 1 McDonalds All American. Tennessee was loaded that year.
The roles are now reversed. TN has, I believe, only one MDAA (Jordan H), and SC has 11. Regardless of the number of MDAAs, I look for the LVs to make a deep run in the NCAAT. GBO.

I hope you are not saying that Dawn has underachieved because 2014,2015,2016 know one was challenging UConn. During those 3 years SC had only 1 to 4 McDonald's All American and one of them transferred out. She did have Tiffany Mitchell(ranked 46) whom she developed into a two time SEC player of the year. 2015 SC did not have any recruits. 2016 SC did not recruit any McDonald's All American. She got Ty and Kiki and developed them into WNBA draft picks. She did add 2 McD transfers in Davis and Gray and won the National Title with a total of 5 McDonalds on that squad. 2017 she picked up 1 McDonald's All American in Destanni Henderson. She also picked up Saxton that year. 2018 she only had Aja Wilson and Destanni Henderson who were McDonald's All American. After A'ja left in 2018, SC only had 2 McDonald's All Americans (Cooper and Henderson) and it showed. So Dawn just started loading up with the 19 class. Before the 19 class, SC won 4 SEC Tournament titles, 4 SEC regular season titles, 2 final 4s, and a National title. I can guarantee Tennessee had just as much, if not more talent than SC during that period. I am willing to bet there were up to 10 teams that had just as much or more talent that SC on their roster. So whatever Dawn's coaching philosophy is it worked. It was people during this period that said Dawn could not recruit. Now you have people questioning her Xs and Os while the team they pull for fight to get in the tournament every year. I am speaking in general so I'm not talking about Tennessee.

Also that 2019 squad was 32-1 and only had 4 McDonalds All American's on it not counting Amihere. So all the comments about Dawn can't coach and it is because of more talent than everyone I will ignore and let the previous facts speak for themselves. This year is the first year that SC talent level is superior to everyone besides UConn and maybe Stanford. I typed this quick on the phone so I apologize for any mistakes.
In 2015 alone they had Jatarie White, Asia Wilson, Bianca Cuevas, Alisha Gray, Kaela Davis, and Alaina Coates all High School all Americans. Since 2016, they have not had less than 3 all americans at any time. You tend to forget Biana Cuevas.

Last edited:
In 2015 alone they had Jatarie White, Asia Wilson, Bianca Cuevas, Alisha Gray, Kaela Davis, and Alaina Coates all High School all Americans. Since 2016, they have not had less than 3 all americans at any time. You tend to forget Biana Cuevas.

Jatarie White transferred before playing with Davis and Gray. Davis and Gray had to sit out the year White was there. They only played 1 year at SC. It was (5) who played the championship year like I said. Cuevas did not play at all during A'Ja senior year. A'Ja was the only McDonalds All American on that team that PLAYED. Henderson came the following year. So it was worse than I thought. So the last 2 years we had 1 McDonald's All American and 3 in 2019 who played. We won the SEC tournament and was runner up in the conference with A'ja being the only Mcdonald's All American on that team. Tennessee beat SC twice that year because Wilson did not play because of vertigo and a injury. So my point still stand. We were not loaded like you claimed.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
Jatarie White transferred before playing with Davis and Gray. Davis and Gray had to sit out the year White was there. They only played 1 year at SC. It was (5) who played the championship year like I said. Cuevas did not play at all during A'Ja senior year. A'Ja was the only McDonalds All American on that team that PLAYED. Henderson came the following year. So it was worse than I thought. So the last 2 years we had 1 McDonald's All American and 3 in 2019 who played. We won the SEC tournament and was runner up in the conference with A'ja being the only Mcdonald's All American on that team. Tennessee beat SC twice that year because Wilson did not play because of vertigo and a injury. So my point still stand. We were not loaded like you claimed.
Not exactly related to the discussion of Dawn’s game coaching chops but….
I think even if you are the superior team it is very difficult to beat a good team three times in a season. I hate when we’ve beaten a team twice in regular season and then play them in the tournament. Goes to show that there is some luck involved. Who is a little tired, how does the ball bounce etc. not everything can be controlled or coached.

Yes I can compare because Dawn had a losing record and Kellie won 21 games. First three seasons Dawn 42 and 48. First three seasons Kellie 61 and 26. Enough said.

What about her success before all the talent SC recently got? When Dawn came to SC her talent level was not in the same ball park as what Kelly inherited. Holly left Kelly with some talent. Dawn didn't have a high school top 100. We will see what Kelly does in the next few years.
Holly left Kellie with TK. Jordy and Rennia. That’s all.

Reactions: feathersax
This argument of Dawn vs Kellie is silly. For whatever reason you want to use, Dawn is a proven winner. Kellie has not proven that yet, IMO.
You need talent, you need to know how to use that talent, YOU HAVE TO MOTIVATE THEM TO PRACTICE, and you have to be a good game coach. No team (men or women’s) has won the NCAA tourney without a talented team. Pat didn’t, Geno didn’t, John Wooden didn’t, Bobby Knight didn’t. There have been a lot of under achieving talented teams that haven’t done well in the regular season and flamed out in the tourney which shows you also need a combination of the other factors.

This argument of Dawn vs Kellie is silly. For whatever reason you want to use, Dawn is a proven winner. Kellie has not proven that yet, IMO.
You need talent, you need to know how to use that talent, YOU HAVE TO MOTIVATE THEM TO PRACTICE, and you have to be a good game coach. No team (men or women’s) has won the NCAA tourney without a talented team. Pat didn’t, Geno didn’t, John Wooden didn’t, Bobby Knight didn’t. There have been a lot of under achieving talented teams that haven’t done well in the regular season and flamed out in the tourney which shows you also need a combination of the other factors.
Dawn is a proven winner now. The comparison is about the first three seasons of which Dawn was 42 and 48. Kellie is 61 and 26. Of course she has to get to another level, but in the course of three seasons there is no comparison. First season 21 and 10 she inherited four freshmen Horston, Key, Saunders, and Rennie. Burrell was a sophomore who didn't have a clue about how to play in the SEC. The only reliable player was Rennia Davis and to a much lesser extent Kashi. Three other players left so the roster was very inexperienced other than Davis and Kashi. Here is Dawn's overall 14 season record at SC Dawn Staley - Wikipedia 77 percent winning percentage. Kellie has 11 years to match that and if she can't she won't get those seasons. Currently at 70 percent winning first three seasons Dawn was way below .500

Dawn is a proven winner now. The comparison is about the first three seasons of which Dawn was 42 and 48. Kellie is 61 and 26. Of course she has to get to another level, but in the course of three seasons there is no comparison. First season 21 and 10 she inherited four freshmen Horston, Key, Saunders, and Rennie. Burrell was a sophomore who didn't have a clue about how to play in the SEC. The only reliable player was Rennia Davis and to a much lesser extent Kashi. Three other players left so the roster was very inexperienced other than Davis and Kashi. Here is Dawn's overall 14 season record at SC Dawn Staley - Wikipedia 77 percent winning percentage. Kellie has 11 years to match that and if she can't she won't get those seasons. Currently at 70 percent winning first three seasons Dawn was way below .500
And it's funny when folks say Kellie inherited certain players. She had to re-recruit Horston, TK, Emily, and Rennie while also encouraging Rae, Rennia, Kasi, Massengil, and Zaay and others to stay. Evina and MiMi Collins immediately jumped ship. Massengil played for a year and transferred to Kentucky, Zaay played a few games before tearing her ACL and then being removed from the team. Many wanted Kam and Kasi gone (look how serviceable she made them with development their final seasons). So all she truly inherited was Rennia Davis. Everyone else she had to get them to commit to stay and coach them up to be far greater than when they were under Holly.

Umm what?
Along with Rae, KK, Westbrook, (although she was halfway out the door), Green, and Massengill.
Westbrook never played for her. Zaay was dismissed and played like 6 games and we both know KK and Massengill are serviceable at best. But you’re right about Rae. I forgot about her.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Rennia,Rae, and Kasi might have been the only players that were willing to stay but she had to re-recruit Horston and TK. I remember an article of after she got hired that she immediately got a flight to Ohio to meet with Jordan and her mom and Jon went to see Tamari at some AAU games in North Carolina

Well, in Geno’s case, he flat out broke rules and was not punished. In other cases, it’s somewhat subtle. For example, there is a D1 coach who basically recruits by telling players that Knoxville is racist as hell. Do we have racists in Knoxville. Yes we do. But every city has racists. And then the coach pours it on. Don’t go there. You’ll be treated like dirt.
You’re not credible, you don’t know what D1 coaches tell recruits!

See how that works?! You stated I’m not credible but we’re supposed to believe you know what coaches tell D1 recruits? You and Mike must be friends.
I’ve been around a long time and have friends who know. My uncle recruited for Vol football and Lady Vol basketball.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

VN Store

Back