How would you rate John Chavis as a Defensive Coordinator?

His scheme only worked for one season, but the best job I've ever seen from a DC at Tennessee was Ken Donahue in 1985. We only had one NFL player (Terry McDaniel) but that was an elite defense.
DC for our longest stretch of greatness since Neyland...so can’t agree with that “one season” shizz. Figured you’d go with Donahue...loved him too, but speaking of “one season”? So he’s the second of two names...how’s that not a top DC?

His career here ebbed and flowed with our recruitment. When we were bringing in top talent, his defenses were some of the best in the nation. However, as our recruiting began to falter in the 2000s, his defenses began to reflect the talent level available to us.

Reactions: savannahfan
His career here ebbed and flowed with our recruitment. When we were bringing in top talent, his defenses were some of the best in the nation. However, as our recruiting began to falter in the 2000s, his defenses began to reflect the talent level available to us.
Who’s your top 3 DC’s who ran top defenses with crappy talent?

His defensive strategy was copied, many times, and still being used as a model, today. Just look at LSU and Bama. It was really very simple. Put two huge run stoppers, at DT (Henderson, Haynesworth, etc), force everything outside, so your fast LB's could run it down. DE's were pure pass rushers, with motors that never quit. We played a lot of two-deep zone, with the safeties, and mixed up coverages with the corners. Overall, the defense was aggressive, and tried to force turnovers, giving the offense more opportunities. When Chavis had depth, at the LB and D-line, his defense was tough to handle. Especially when coupled with a balanced offensive attack like Cut's. The kicking game was huge. Pinning offenses deep, and putting pressure on them, forcing them to drive the length of the field, turn it over, and make mistakes. All phases complimented each other. We need that now.

I would say that with Chief running the 4-3 base and Saban(and his disciples) running the 3-4 base would make this an obvious incorrect statement.

Reactions: kbear01 and Bigun
I would say that with Chief running the 4-3 base and Saban(and his disciples) running the 3-4 base would make this an obvious incorrect statement.
He went over the basic concepts. Don’t get hung up where they’re lining up.

He was adequate and loyal................
In most years, I would agree that he was adequate. However, Fulmer really needed a DC who could recruit better near the end. Our talent level on defense really fell off (in '07 and '08), Jerrod Mayo and Eric Berry were about it.

Giving up 48 straight when you have a 16 point lead in the swamp is the definition pooping the bed.
The defense certainly didn't help in the second half of that game, but I distinctly remember that Jay Graham fumbled the ball several times in our territory. It was a total team loss. All of those Florida losses were.

Most people forget that when Larry Marmie left after the '94 season, everybody and I mean EVERYBODY was ticked because Fulmer didn't go out and hire some big time defensive coordinator. Instead, he just promoted the Linebackers coach. Funny how a one loss season in '95 made EVERYBODY forget Chavis wasn't a big splash!

But we were loaded with talent and had been loaded with talent. Funny how when that talent level began to diminish, so did Chavis' skills as a DC!

Most people forget that when Larry Marmie left after the '94 season, everybody and I mean EVERYBODY was ticked because Fulmer didn't go out and hire some big time defensive coordinator. Instead, he just promoted the Linebackers coach. Funny how a one loss season in '95 made EVERYBODY forget Chavis wasn't a big splash!

But we were loaded with talent and had been loaded with talent. Funny how when that talent level began to diminish, so did Chavis' skills as a DC!
Take that shizz to vaudeville! Funny how diminishing talent does that to every coach. 🤣

Had Fulmer and other dogs for recruiting...like Rodney Garner. Cutcliffe was no closer either...at UT or Ole Miss. knock him?
Chavis hated Rodney Garner. Big part of the reason Garner left and was reported at the time that when RG left he had some choice words for Chavis.

Cutcliff was no closer to what? Cutcliff has coached 2 SB winning QB's and just had another one taken in the top 10 picks and is widely considered as one of the top QB/offensive coaches in America. Chavis is a known as an above average DC.

Thought he was very good against traditional offenses and below average against non-traditional ones.

Plus extra points deducted for his tendency in giving up game winning drives.
3rd and Chavis.

I liked him as a DC. Most losses were due to the Offense not scoring enough points. I expect at least 30 per game. Score 30 and then let’s talk about Defense.

I expect the defense to give up no more than 10.

I like Chavis. He tried to give the A&M game to us, but we kept turning it over. I wonder if that Texas heat makes the ball slippery?

He was one of the best when his defense was attacking and blitzing. That being said 3rd and Chavis is a saying for a reason. My stomach churned whenever we were hanging on to a late lead. 2001 UGA and 2008 UCLA still gives me nightmares.

UT staff got called out by the UCLA HC. He said if UT got a lead they would run some predictable scheme that they could take advantage of and did and won.

I didn’t like that at all.

It’s hard to win being predictable.

Chavis hated Rodney Garner. Big part of the reason Garner left and was reported at the time that when RG left he had some choice words for Chavis.

Cutcliff was no closer to what? Cutcliff has coached 2 SB winning QB's and just had another one taken in the top 10 picks and is widely considered as one of the top QB/offensive coaches in America. Chavis is a known as an above average DC.
This is all made up bull! 🤣 Donnan hired the Vols recruiting ace two years in a row and gave them on-field coaching duties. That’s how he lured Garner. “Reported”...should be available or you’re lying. Name one recruit at UT Cut personally landed...waiting! What Cut was/is great at is instilling scheme and fundamentals in players...something he shared with Chavis. You and your determined haters in this thread are the only ones that KNOW Chavis as only above average...the rest of the conference would label you as delusional.

VN Store

Back