How do you identify an up and coming good coach?

We're stuck on up and comers because nobody else wants to come here.

Dooley was hired at a very awkward spot in the calendar. Kiffin left after bowl season was over and about a month before signing day, and the coaches that we would have otherwise contacted had already gone around the coaching carousel. Nobody wanted the job. Butch was hired after several coaches, including Charlie Strong, said thanks but no thanks. Pruitt was hired after a completely disastrous coaching search that ended up in a job offer for one coach being pulled and the AD being fired.

This job just does not have the sheen that it used to. When it did have the sheen, we were able to attract a coach like Kiffin, who was a prominent figure on the coaching carousel that year.

I think money cures all things. The problem is we have never gone the money route where we throw 8-10 million per year at someone and make them say no.

I remember during the search I wished we offer that deal to Mullen and give him 2-3 hours to give us an answer so he couldn’t wait out Florida and Chip Kelly. As we have seen, Florida getting Mullen means we had to go elsewhere. Paying tons of money for a proven commodity while blocking your division rival is worth the money.

The problem right now is we can’t afford to dump Pruitt and make a homerun hire with a lot of money because of the budget shortfall and the fact Pruitt doesn’t have any offset language in his contract. We’d literally be asking booster to finance a 70-75 million dollar coaching change + budget shortfall (roughly 50 million). I find it inconceivable to ask for a 25 million dollar commitment to change coaches and not ask for another 50 million to make the department whole.

Following the path of someone like Mullen is ideal. OC for a big time program, then became the HC at a school with low expectations and exceeded them, making him an ideal hire as a HC at a big time program. We did it wrong with Pruitt. We took a DC skipped the step where he proves himself as a HC at a school with limited resources and low expectations

Reactions: IndianaVol
I want a manager- someone who can manage people, both players and staff. They don't need to be a great offensive or defensive coach, they need to be a great manager. They should have a "style" or overall vision, but then go out and find the best coordinators/position coaches you can to fit their style (and then let them coach). I know that almost all coaches, especially in football, come from either the offensive or defensive side of the ball, but the head coach needs to be the manager of all.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
It has never been a Power 5 conference. Wrong again!
It was considered one of the power 6 conferences. It had an automatic BCS bid while butch was coaching there. Again you must be young and don’t remember. Unless you think Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, WVU etc weren’t major conference teams

Urban Meyer- bachelor degree in psychology, masters degree in business administration.

Nick Saban- bachelor degree in business, masters degree in sports administration.

Bob Stoops- bachelors degree in business marketing.

————-

Derek Dooley- bachelors in government and foreign affairs, jd in law

Butch Jones- bachelors degree unknown

Jeremy Pruitt- bachelors in teaching

Small sample size I know but I do think that a mastery of organizational/ business management is vital in order to run a successful football program. Our last 3 coaches had none.

It was considered one of the power 6 conferences. It had an automatic BCS bid while butch was coaching there. Again you must be young and don’t remember. Unless you think Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, WVU etc weren’t major conference teams

My post referenced P5 conference coaches.

Butch Jones was not a P5 coach.

If elite P5 teams with job openings show interest, then you are likely onto a good coach. If not, you are hiring Dooley, Butch, or Pruitt...

Colorado was the only school to show interest in our past 3 hires (MSU gave Pruitt a courtesy interview for Sexton purposes - they decided on Moorhead prior to interview)

My post referenced P5 conference coaches.

Butch Jones was not a P5 coach.
Ok then. P5 was originated a term that used to be called P6 and AQ conferences (automatic qualifiers) for the BCS because those were the power 6 conferences. Butch coached in one of those conference and won 2 conference titles. So that coupled as his success in the MAC is exactly the same kind of coaching record that some are wanting here now. Which proves the point it’s a crap shoot

Ok then. P5 was originated a term that used to be called P6 and AQ conferences (automatic qualifiers) for the BCS because those were the power 6 conferences. Butch coached in one of those conference and won 2 conference titles. So that coupled as his success in the MAC is exactly the same kind of coaching record that some are wanting here now. Which proves the point it’s a crap shoot

That is not what I had in my post. Those conferences have too many easy games to pad a record.

But when you are a Freeze and playing an SEC West schedule with Ole Miss talent, and winning more than you are losing, that says something. And now he is beating middle of the pack ACC schools with Liberty talent.

No coach is a guaranteed success. But I’d take my chances on a guy like that.

Reactions: cgrish and VOL_Lyfe
I think one of the most important characteristics in identifying a up and coming coach is his organization skills. Did he take over a bad program and build/rebuild it into a winner? Or did he take over a successful program and maintained its success by changing/tweeking what needs to be fixed. Also, when he makes a mistake (personnel, strategy, etc.), does he own it and immediately go about correcting that mistake? From the eyes of amateur, those things seem important to get the right leader.

Reactions: Volatility and EZE
If Tennessee picks an up and comer then it's a bust. To many failures to believe they can do it.

If we fire Pruitt, I beg we don't go the cheap route again!!!

I'll take asparagus familiarity for $1000, Alex.

Btw, The chances of Beldar ever overcoming his vegetable ignorance, and actually trying something like asparagus is on par with his likelihood of starting Bailey this or next year.

He's gonna stick with chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese. Because, that's what he knows and trusts. Its not delicious or cultured, or healthy, but......It's a common trait among the unenlightened.

"The more you know the less you understand." (Tao te Ching)

Pruitt gets it. He knows he gets it. You can't change his mind.

"The problem with the world is that stupid people are confident while the intelligent are full of doubts" Bukowski.

The problem with Vol football is......

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I would say a coach or coordinator that has developed at every stop with the least amount of talent. For example, if a coordinator takes a 90th ranked offense/defense the prior year and can turn out that same offense/defense into 30-40s. Same applies to head coaches.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
As has been stated, you hire / promote head coaches the same way the military promotes officers. Based on leading an organization. Not just leading individuals, but an entire organization (or sub-set of an organization) to believe and act toward a higher purpose.

Look at Tennessee's past:
Johnny Majors had a way of convincing everyone in the football department that they were better than the world told them they were and got results.
Phil Fulmer took cues from Majors and did the same, especially that one year when everyone was telling the Vols they would be nothing without Peyton.
Kiffin, like the way he did it or not, had those kids in Knoxville for one year knowing they could beat anyone - and came within a blocked FG of doing it.

Sadly, the last three HCs start down the path of getting players to believe but then lack the leadership abilities to maintain the momentum.

Butch's resume was mediocre at best...Dooley even smoked him
Um. No it actually wasn’t. He won multiple conference titles in 2 leagues and had a good record. It’s as good or better than any up and coming coach you see mentioned in that coaching thread

Um. No it actually wasn’t. He won multiple conference titles in 2 leagues and had a good record. It’s as good or better than any up and coming coach you see mentioned in that coaching thread

Butch won titles outright in one conference. His big East titles were shared and Cincy didn’t even represent the league in BCS bowl tie ins. Butch was a coat tail rider. Hell his only other offer was Colorado.

Reactions: EZE
Butch won titles outright in one conference. His big East titles were shared and Cincy didn’t even represent the league in BCS bowl tie ins. Butch was a coat tail rider. Hell his only other offer was Colorado.
I’m not defending butch. I’m pointing out his resume was better than the list of midmajor coaches you see now that people are clamoring to replace Pruitt with. And that it’s all a big crap shoot. And he did win two BEC titles and two MAC titles. That’s 4 titles in 2 conferences

I’m not defending butch. I’m pointing out his resume was better than the list of midmajor coaches you see now that people are clamoring to replace Pruitt with. And that it’s all a big crap shoot

That’s correct. Looking back, we should have just overpaid Charlie Strong knowing now that Butch only last 5 seasons.

Butch was really a desperate hire. Atleast Strong had experience in SEC and a chip on his shoulder. Butch had little man syndrome day 1

VN Store

Back