How do you identify an up and coming good coach?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
It’s not easy, you have guys like Pruitt and Mason who have fielded a stout defense everywhere they’ve been but couldn’t cut it.

Then you have guys like Dabo who was just a position coach but matured in to a top HC.

If you’re AD, and you know you can’t go out and hire proven with experience, what characteristics (personality or coaching) are you looking for in an up and coming coach?

It’s not easy, you have guys like Pruitt and Mason who have fielded a stout defense everywhere they’ve been but couldn’t cut it.

Then you have guys like Dabo who was just a position coach but matured in to a top HC.

If you’re AD, and you know you can’t go out and hire proven with experience, what characteristics (personality or coaching) are you looking for in an up and coming coach?

I feel like Tennessee’s MO has always asked the “money question” when making hired and that is “who is the best coach available we can get for cheap” instead of starting with the “best coach available” and letting money be an item down the list of things.

Feel like that’s why we struck out on “up and comers” like Dooley and Butch. Kiffin has had bad in his career but also some good success as well.

Pruitt is still TBD because he’s still an immature coach but I don’t think he woke up a dummy one day. I want to see him with a new QB for a few games to really gauge him.
the change last year worked out minus two injuries to Maurer.

No sure fired way . You roll your dice and take your chances

You guess and only mention it when it becomes true.
No one knows, there are signs but so many variables at play (players, competition, schedule, facilities, academics, proximity to fertile recruiting, history, current status of the program, position coaches, coordinators, schemes, game plans, fan bases, and luck to name a few) The pace that coaches are expected to change programs and the willingness to accept a bad year have both contributed to a worse environment for football teams trying to rebuild.

The game has changed. The defensive coordinator getting HC jobs isn’t what it used to be. The most import piece is now the OC you have to play offense these days. Stoops is the only one who understood you have to score to win games. Smash mouth football and hoping your defense is good doesn’t work anymore

The answer is you don’t. Go back to look at the last three coaching search threads from previous years.

They wanted “can’t miss” candidates who all were very average or horrible at other places and have been fired or quit. “But they won 9 games at Buffalo or La Lafayette”.

The truth is that there are no “sure fire” candidates outside of an elite known coach. It’s almost always a crap shoot. But message board posters still do the same dumb posts over and over again 😂

They are the same ones who used to see southern miss go up 3-0 on Alabama on the first drive of a game and say “my god hire their coach they would beat UT by 50”, only to see Bama score 50 straight points in a win

One problem is that we hired a defensive minded coach in an age where offense is what wins games.

And that’s the problem. The administration is incapable of picking winners and losers and even worse at timing. If they were my financial advisor I would be in dire straits

Finding an up and coming coach is NOT what Tennessee needs. They need to pay the big bucks for a top tier proven coach. Or cancel football because they will have a stadium that seats over 100k looking like Vandys stadium before too long....
This and i couldnt agree more! If you keep hiring the butches and the dooleys you wont have a program before to long. Its sad enough our players we have on team now has really never seen a great Tennessee team like the most of us on here has.

Last edited:
Intelligence first and foremost and then personality. Someone who is highly organized and understands the psychology involved in keeping a large group college aged students focused and interested in their task every week. Someone with a strong character and work ethic who will lead by example.

This and i couldnt agree more! If you keep hiring the butches and the dooleys you wont have a program before to long. Its sad enough our players we have on team now has really never seen a great Tennessee team in theyre lifetime. Like the most of us on here has.The bar is low and its sad.

The common denominator amongst the best, most successful head coaches is that they somewhere along the line learned and mastered the principles of organizational leadership.

Mastery of X’s and O’s without mastery of organizational leadership will lead to failure every time.

I feel like Tennessee’s MO has always asked the “money question” when making hired and that is “who is the best coach available we can get for cheap” instead of starting with the “best coach available” and letting money be an item down the list of things.

Feel like that’s why we struck out on “up and comers” like Dooley and Butch. Kiffin has had bad in his career but also some good success as well.

Pruitt is still TBD because he’s still an immature coach but I don’t think he woke up a dummy one day. I want to see him with a new QB for a few games to really gauge him.
the change last year worked out minus two injuries to Maurer.
We're stuck on up and comers because nobody else wants to come here.

Dooley was hired at a very awkward spot in the calendar. Kiffin left after bowl season was over and about a month before signing day, and the coaches that we would have otherwise contacted had already gone around the coaching carousel. Nobody wanted the job. Butch was hired after several coaches, including Charlie Strong, said thanks but no thanks. Pruitt was hired after a completely disastrous coaching search that ended up in a job offer for one coach being pulled and the AD being fired.

This job just does not have the sheen that it used to. When it did have the sheen, we were able to attract a coach like Kiffin, who was a prominent figure on the coaching carousel that year.

The answer is you don’t. Go back to look at the last three coaching search threads from previous years.

They wanted “can’t miss” candidates who all were very average or horrible at other places and have been fired or quit. “But they won 9 games at Buffalo or La Lafayette”.

The truth is that there are no “sure fire” candidates outside of an elite known coach. It’s almost always a crap shoot. But message board posters still do the same dumb posts over and over again 😂

They are the same ones who used to see southern miss go up 3-0 on Alabama on the first drive of a game and say “my god hire their coach they would beat UT by 50”, only to see Bama score 50 straight points in a win

That isn’t even remotely true. The only coach UT has hired since Fulmer that had any kind of success before coaching at was Jones. Consequently, he was also the only coach of the four that had success at UT. Dooley had no resume to speak of other than limited experience as a head coach. Pruitt had the thinnest of thin resumes before being hired by UT. His “experience” at Georgia and Bama were under head coaches who had a major say in the defense. His only real season as a autonomous DC was one year under Fisher at FSU. There is a reason he and Dooley have been horrendous hires and it’s a lack of experience and limited coaching experience. If UT chooses to go the coordinator route again, at least chose one who has actually coordinated their side of the football with varying levels of talent and a track record of developing countries players. Pruitt had never stayed longer than two years at any stop as a coordinator. That isn’t long enough to recruit and develop talent. Two of the last three hires UT has made have been horrendous and that is why we have sucked

VN Store

Back