How do we win in Afghanistan?

Honestly what do we care? Why are we wasting American money and lives on people who are ok with stoning women who get raped or read a book? Let them be miserable and backwards, it's obviously their preference.

Either that or destroy every living thing and repopulate the place with reasonable people - if you can find any. The place has been uncivilized from the beginning and everybody who tried to make it better failed. You'd actually think that after that record and the most recent failure by the Soviets that our politicians would have had better sense than to blunder in - maybe you just really can't fix stupid ... in DC or in Afghanistan.

With the way warfare is today we won't see 'winning' wars the way we used to unless 1 thing is changed. The rules of engagement. Those are of some of the shadiest, most crippling, things a person can have in their mind on top of the whole, you know, trying to stay alive bit.

Don't ya just love getting all stealthy for a fantastic fortune with weapons that can be fired before someone ever knows you are there ... knowing all the time that fools in DC are gonna step in with the ROEs and insist on things like visual identification before firing?

I can't say that I know how we win in a region where near half the adult male population revels in pedophilia, while maintaining it isn't gay because their lovers aren't adults.

Reactions: 3 people
Afghanistan is our Nations longest war. Over 2200 dead and 20,000 wounded Americans. Win? The Taliban and hardliners say the US can never win because time is on their side. They say no matter how long it takes that when the US leaves they will still be there. I believe they may be right.

The US cannot seem to learn it's lessons about fighting limited, emphasis on limited, wars on foreign soil.

IMO it's time for leaving. There's not much to be gained there by winning anyway.

Reactions: 4 people
Afghanistan is our Nations longest war. Over 2200 dead and 20,000 wounded Americans. Win? The Taliban and hardliners say the US can never win because time is on their side. They say no matter how long it takes that when the US leaves they will still be there. I believe they may be right.

The US cannot seem to learn it's lessons about fighting limited, emphasis on limited, wars on foreign soil.

IMO it's time for leaving. There's not much to be gained there by winning anyway.
That's been the Afghan mentality from the beginning of time; If the just hold on long enough the outsiders will leave

agreed. and it may hurt them to say this but I believe most guys here would agree with you too.

giphy_s.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I don't think we have any business doing it, but I would not mind their population being decimated. People talk about islam like its so bad. If they followed islam to the letter, itd be an improvement.

agreed. and it may hurt them to say this but I believe most guys here would agree with you too.

I don't think any .Mil person on here will disagree. Those that think we should stay have probably never been there and would quickly change their mind after spending a few months in that hell hole.

Reactions: 1 person

Pray tell why your homeboy didn't pull us out after Bin Laden got whacked? I know closing Gitmo (LOL) was a big time campaign promise he failed but it shouldn't have made him such a b!tch in international affairs..

The bottom in is that we can't win and we can't leave, because if we leave then Afghanistan probably would be taken over by the Taliban again and become of major base for terrorism again. We went in there in the first place to clean out the terrorist camps--a valid effort, unlike our invasion of Iraq, which was started under false pretenses by the Bush administration (with major help from pro-Israel hawks). Afghanistan is a 50-year-project, at least.

The Taliban are nothing more than radicalized, uneducated and unemployed young men with nothing better to do than come down out of the mountains to harass foreign (U.S.) soldiers, then flee back to high ground when we pull out our guns. There is no "winning" there or anywhere in the mideast. The big problem in the region is socio-economic, not religion--too many people, too many uneducated people, too much corruption in the governments, too few jobs. Afghanistan is medieval and Pakistan isn't much better. When you are 100 years behind the rest of the world, radicalism is going to be a problem.

Did you see the article today about Trump cracking on his National Security Advisor, McMaster, because he has argued that the United States should essentially maintain the status quo in Afghanistan? Trump has apparently turned on his NSA chief for reasons not entirely clear---but one is that our brilliant president wants better options in Afghanistan. This only shows---again--what a moron Trump is. As noted above and is apparent to anybody with knowledge of the situation, there are no good or better options. You either keep a military presence there, as we have for years, to keep the country halfway stable and to help promote (a slow) modernization of the culture--or you leave and let the radicals gain control of the place again. It's really not that complex. Obama was smart enough and wise enough to get that and so kept a military presence in the country--and the government wants us to maintain a presence. Trump, because he knows nothing about the place and is stupid, apparently wants to stomp around his office and pretend that some magical solution can be found. He of course doesn't want to simply do what that Obama administration did. This is the instinct for stupidity that afflicts Republicans--they want to undue everything that Obama did, despite the fact that most of what Obama did was smart and forward-thinking. Hence we have a backward and idiotic government that wants to take a regressive approach to major issues.

The bottom in is that we can't win and we can't leave, because if we leave then Afghanistan probably would be taken over by the Taliban again and become of major base for terrorism again. We went in there in the first place to clean out the terrorist camps--a valid effort, unlike our invasion of Iraq, which was started under false pretenses by the Bush administration (with major help from pro-Israel hawks). Afghanistan is a 50-year-project, at least.

The Taliban are nothing more than radicalized, uneducated and unemployed young men with nothing better to do than come down out of the mountains to harass foreign (U.S.) soldiers, then flee back to high ground when we pull out our guns. There is no "winning" there or anywhere in the mideast. The big problem in the region is socio-economic, not religion--too many people, too many uneducated people, too much corruption in the governments, too few jobs. Afghanistan is medieval and Pakistan isn't much better. When you are 100 years behind the rest of the world, radicalism is going to be a problem.

Did you see the article today about Trump cracking on his National Security Advisor, McMaster, because he has argued that the United States should essentially maintain the status quo in Afghanistan? Trump has apparently turned on his NSA chief for reasons not entirely clear---but one is that our brilliant president wants better options in Afghanistan. This only shows---again--what a moron Trump is. As noted above and is apparent to anybody with knowledge of the situation, there are no good or better options. You either keep a military presence there, as we have for years, to keep the country halfway stable and to help promote (a slow) modernization of the culture--or you leave and let the radicals gain control of the place again. It's really not that complex. Obama was smart enough and wise enough to get that and so kept a military presence in the country--and the government wants us to maintain a presence. Trump, because he knows nothing about the place and is stupid, apparently wants to stomp around his office and pretend that some magical solution can be found. He of course doesn't want to simply do what that Obama administration did. This is the instinct for stupidity that afflicts Republicans--they want to undue everything that Obama did, despite the fact that most of what Obama did was smart and forward-thinking. Hence we have a backward and idiotic government that wants to take a regressive approach to major issues.

You ain't stupid, but you could really take some classes on brevity.

Pray tell why your homeboy didn't pull us out after Bin Laden got whacked? I know closing Gitmo (LOL) was a big time campaign promise he failed but it shouldn't have made him such a b!tch in international affairs..

I don't know why my homeboy didn't pull us out. I don't believe your homeboy is going to either though.

There is no winning against fundamental islamic military jihad.
Only suppression and keeping it out of America as best we can.

As I said, it started when mohammed drew his sword, and it has not stopped since. And it never will.

In Afghanistan? Bombing the hell out of known and identified terrorist targets without collateral damage and Special Operations raids capturing/killing said targets.

No "nation building", no occupation, no "we're gonna export western style democracy and make you like it.

That's a "win" for all concerned.
The same way we win in North Korea. Silently, with no fanfare, kill the problems. We know who they are and we know where they are. Just don't advertise it with "surge" or "MOAB" or whatever. Just... make them dead.

Done

I would say do this and add a few land mines but Afghanistan still has plenty of those I believe.

Yea lets add more landmines in a country where they already have over a million landmines in place and the Taliban then goes and digs said landmines up and uses them as pressure plates.

Yea lets add more landmines in a country where they already have over a million landmines in place and the Taliban then goes and digs said landmines up and uses them as pressure plates.

Calm down, Sparky. I'm sure LV was just joking.

Why are we even in Afghanistan to begin with?

When there's a history of different military powers walking into the same quagmire and sinking over their heads and then follow and fall into the same trap, it simply falls in the category of incredibly arrogant stupidity.

I don't think we have any business doing it, but I would not mind their population being decimated. People talk about islam like its so bad. If they followed islam to the letter, itd be an improvement.

I don't understand. Following Islam to the letter is the very meaning of Radical Islamic Fundamentalism.

They're following their prophet's examples.

Let the Chinese, Indians, Russians and Iranians handle the situation. They have more of a regional presence and more of an incentive to stabilize the area than we do.

VN Store

Back