How do we fire our scheduler?

I'll never understand the mentality of, when already playing one of the hardest SOS in the nation year in and year out, wanting to add yet MORE top teams.

We don't need to. Look at Clemson, ffs. They have a cupcake-orama, year in and year out. They're in the playoffs THIS year again, against a horrible schedule.

Our schedule is already hard enough. I say that when teams like Clemson add 2 or 3 top ten teams to their schedules every year, we can start talking about upgrading ours.
I wouldnt call Clemson playing cupcakes every year...very few teams actually play nothing but cupcakes OOC anymore...this isn't the early 90s

Clemson has played South Carolina every year of course but also Texas A&M, Auburn, Georgia, TCU, Alabama, and the "ACC" extra game with Notre Dame

Missouri and Oklahoma are two different animals.
iu
iu

Reactions: tbh
Bama and UGA aint putting those type of teams on their schedule becuase its too risky to their playoff hopes. LSU and Auburn seem to be the only SEC heavy hitters who will play anybody anywhere. Im willing to bet Botch scheduled OU knowing he wouldnt be around to play them.
again you are wrong

Alabama - UCLA, Oklahoma, Duke, Florida St, Houston, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Penn St, Michigan, WVU, Wisconsin, Southern Cal, Louisville, Miami, Texas, Notre Dame
UGA - Ga Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame, Colorado, Okla State, UNC, Boise St, Arizona St, Ohio St, Baylor, Virginia, Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA, Texas, Florida St

I'll never understand the mentality of, when already playing one of the hardest SOS in the nation year in and year out, wanting to add yet MORE top teams.

We don't need to. Look at Clemson, ffs. They have a cupcake-orama, year in and year out. They're in the playoffs THIS year again, against a horrible schedule.

Our schedule is already hard enough. I say that when teams like Clemson add 2 or 3 top ten teams to their schedules every year, we can start talking about upgrading ours.
In the famous words of the Nature Boy, "To be the best, you have to beat the best. Woooooooooooooo".

the Oklahoma deal was signed years ago, as were most non conference game agreements. These people aren’t fortune tellers. They’re driven by tv audience and exposure. If UT were in a position to make the cfp, then maybe scheduling easy non-conference games like UGA, Alabama and UF would be a better option. But let’s be honest, UT won’t be making the cfp next year.

the Oklahoma deal was signed years ago, as were most non conference game agreements. These people aren’t fortune tellers.

Not as long ago as one might think. In the case of our 2020 game against Oklahoma, just two years ago, in 2017.

Tennessee, Oklahoma Announce Football Series - University of Tennessee Athletics

It's not like we didn't know in 2017 that Oklahoma is a powerhouse program.

I get both sides of this debate:

1. Even if you're a top-tier program, when you play other top-tier programs, you have a roughly 50/50 chance of losing. The more 50/50 games you put into your schedule, the less likely you are to go undefeated. It's simple probability, like flipping a coin over and over. One good flip? 50% chance. Two in a row? Just 25% chance. Three? Only a 12.5% chance. Four? 6% chance you'll win every time. So, the argument goes, give up on the Strength of Schedule concern and minimize the 50/50 games. Since we already have Florida, Georgia, and Alabama every year (and sometimes Auburn or LSU as well), don't need such a high-profile Power 5 OOC opponent.

I get that.

On the other hand, I get this, too:

2. Anyone, anywhere, any time. To quote Ed Orgeron and Joe Burrows just this month, if they want us to play in Canada, we'll go to Canada. If they tee it up in a gravel lot, we'll be there. The Tennessee program will only truly be back when we fear no one, hesitate never. We're back when they're all worried about scheduling us, not the other way around.

Both sensible arguments. Both have merit. There is no right answer.

So I'm happy no matter what, heh. Let's beat Indiana, then kick some Sooner butt in 2020!

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doberman and tbh
again you are wrong

Alabama - UCLA, Oklahoma, Duke, Florida St, Houston, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Penn St, Michigan, WVU, Wisconsin, Southern Cal, Louisville, Miami, Texas, Notre Dame
UGA - Ga Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame, Colorado, Okla State, UNC, Boise St, Arizona St, Ohio St, Baylor, Virginia, Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA, Texas, Florida St
Wow u named all those schools and only 2 of them are top 5 teams ( Clemson & OU). Auburn and UT have both recently played those 2 teams. Bama and UGA dnt play a soul until conference play. U saw what that FSU team was a couple yrs ago that bama opened with and i would give u ND but they are not consistently on the level of OU.

Wow u named all those schools and only 2 of them are top 5 teams ( Clemson & OU). Auburn and UT have both recently played those 2 teams. Bama and UGA dnt play a soul until conference play. U saw what that FSU team was a couple yrs ago that bama opened with and i would give u ND but they are not consistently on the level of OU.
so only top 5 teams count as good OOC opponents? How does one know if Texas or Notre Dame will be 4-8 or 10-2 when they are scheduled a decade out?

I think most years most all SEC teams play a pretty good schedule, even OOC games

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
I believe we did fire that scheduler.

I moved to FL in mid 80's and B. Bowden was at FSU and was trying to build their program into a top 10 team. They were nothing back then. He started playing Neb, Mich, and teams like that at their place. Took his lumps a first but then starting beating those teams and his program got quick success. Not saying Vols are like FSU was then just making a point it is a quick way to get your program back to the elite level. Those kinds of wins get you noticed.

I dont agree with avoiding better teams. Demand the coach beats them and then fire him when he doesn't. Eventually we need to find someone who can win these games.

Besides Pruitt had a rediculously easy OOC schedule his first two years and didn't beat anyone of any consequence.

Losing to Oklahoma is more respectable than losing to BYU.

Oklahoma’s already scheduled. So what’s the “adding” thing? Under Fulmer and Pruitt we’re not PAYING THEM TO NOT PLAY THEM, so this discussion is an exercise in futility.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The top SEC teams get it. Win the SEC championship, even 1 loss on no championship, and you enter the final 4 playoff. Non-conference schedule doesn't matter. Our guy hasn't figured it out yet.

No you don't. Clemson doesn't.
Huh? Last time I checked, Clemson won the CFP twice. You know , the thing designed to make the "best" teams play each other. Clemson can't help they play in a weak conference, but when they win, they have to play the best teams. Are you one of the guys who cheer when a UT rival best player gets hurt?

so only top 5 teams count as good OOC opponents? How does one know if Texas or Notre Dame will be 4-8 or 10-2 when they are scheduled a decade out?

I think most years most all SEC teams play a pretty good schedule, even OOC games
Doesnt take rocket science to know that OU or OSU are going to be one of the top teams becuase they have been for an extended period of time. My whole response was to us playing OU and Bama playing Duke. When has Duke ever been top anything in football??? U can schedule 5yrs ahead and know that Duke wont be a top school when it comes time to play them just like u can schedule OU 5yrs ahead and pretty much know that when its time to play they will be amongst the best schools in the country. Texas has been irrelevant every since Vince Young left so scheduling them aint exactly swinging for the fences and u see what happens when ND plays the SEC. Off the top of my head we may be the last SEC school they beat and that was the backend of Coach Fulmer.

The top SEC teams get it. Win the SEC championship, even 1 loss on no championship, and you enter the final 4 playoff. Non-conference schedule doesn't matter. Our guy hasn't figured it out yet.

Yup, neither has about half our fan base, if this thread is anything to go by.

Huh? Last time I checked, Clemson won the CFP twice. You know , the thing designed to make the "best" teams play each other. Clemson can't help they play in a weak conference, but when they win, they have to play the best teams.

We're talking about regular season scheduling. Try to keep up.

Focus.

Yup, neither has about half our fan base, if this thread is anything to go by.

We're talking about regular season scheduling. Try to keep up.

Focus.
I see it clearly, you're afraid of competition. Tennessee has and always will schedule good teams because that's what people want to pay to see. Have you ever noticed that when they play these teams, the stadium is always sold out no matter how good UT is. Think about it.

Well, you've moved on from bringing up playoff opponents in a discussion of regular season scheduling. That's progress I guess.

But I can see clearly, you don't want a championship program.

We already schedule good teams. We already have one of the hardest SOS in the nation, year in and year out.

I couldn't give a frog's fat butt if Oklahoma fills their stadium and makes money next year.

I am all for schedule tough OOC opponents when the program is successful, but there has been absolutely no benefit in some of these OOC matchups the past decade. These games have also caused us to miss bowl games recently as well (2013 & 2018).

2017 - #17 West Virginia, Loss, 40-14
2015 - #19 Oklahoma, Loss, 31-24
2014 - #4 Oklahoma - Loss, 34-10
2013 - #2 Oregon - Loss, 59-14
2010 - #7 Oregon - Loss, 48-13

When you are trying to rebuild a program, you need Wins. You need bowl games. You need momentum. You need recruits.

Getting waxed and missing a bowl game to play West Virginia doesn't help this program rebuild.

I am all for schedule tough OOC opponents when the program is successful, but there has been absolutely no benefit in some of these OOC matchups the past decade. These games have also caused us to miss bowl games recently as well (2013 & 2018).

2017 - #17 West Virginia, Loss, 40-14
2015 - #19 Oklahoma, Loss, 31-24
2014 - #4 Oklahoma - Loss, 34-10
2013 - #2 Oregon - Loss, 59-14
2010 - #7 Oregon - Loss, 48-13

When you are trying to rebuild a program, you need Wins. You need bowl games. You need momentum. You need recruits.

Getting waxed and missing a bowl game to play West Virginia doesn't help this program rebuild.
Butch lost that 2015 OU game for us. No excuse for coming out in the second half playing conservative because we had a 17pt lead. One of the reasons he's Nick's coffee boy now.

VN Store

Back