How do we fire our scheduler?

I’ll take it a step further. We should dump the yearly AL game also. It benefits us little with the current state of our program. At some point we have to make our own history. Let’s replace AL with Ole Miss or Arkansas.
That's like trading a "Monster Truck" for a Prius

When we are REGULARLY having 10 win seasons and the discussion is about strength of schedule impacting our final ranking Would have been #8 but lower SoS made us #11, etc)- THEN AND ONLY THEN does it make sense to play tough OOC games. Otherwise, save that strength to go undefeated IN CONFERENCE.

You may say "just win them" because you are short sighted and think with your dick. We all want to win tough games but they come at a cost, usually in injuries and worn out players. That makes it less likely to win an SEC championship and that is the first and primary goal every year.

Until we are 4 deep with 4*s at almost all positions, it is strategically stupid to have anything but cupcakes OOC. Instead, rack up the wins and crush top OOC programs in a top bowl game. THAT is the only time that kind of thing matters.
You're right in theory but I just don't see how it can ever work in practical application.

Most OOC matchups are scheduled minimum 3-5 years out, if not longer.

If you're not willing to book the matchup you don't think you can become a top team.

Here is why. I live in Texas. I have had more than one person says this about Tennessee: “No matter what, they go out and play the big boys.”

It will be better when we start to when those games, but I can live with it,

Agree with the sentiment, but think your logic is flawed.

OOC games especially big ones are scheduled 5-10 years in advance.

Now, should we pump the breaks a little in future scheduling? I'd say yes given that we are playing Bama every year. But it's a complicated process.

I think most people don’t realize that we traditionally played tough OOC games because we used to only play 5 and 6 conference games. When you are playing 5 OOC games every year, you kind of need to. And back then sometimes we might just play a couple of ranked teams in conference, a lot different than now. I know these types of games are fun, and if we were like we used to be, I’d be all for it. But until we’re consistently winning 9–11 games a few years in a row, we should not.

Reactions: 08Vol
We a'int scared.
Let Bama schedule W's. I would rather schedule top competition for several reason.
We are more likely to be on a nation stage.
Our boys will learn faster what they have to do to win at the big stage.
Being on a bigger stage helps in recruiting.
I know that you are probably suffering from battered Vol syndrome as am I. But, we are the university of TN and we do not back down from anyone!
It is also good for our boys to see what they are going to have to play against playing in the ultra competitive SEC.

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
Bama Dave parting gift!

Because we don't back down from competition and people don't like to see us play ooc average teams all the time. I could give you a million reasons, but I will leave it with players that sign up for the sec want to play in those types of games. Step up like the players and be a fan and appreciate and seize those moments instead of crying about them. GBO!

Used to be proud of the fact TN was known for going anywhere and playing anyone. That was our rep. But we're not that same TN right now. We need a little bit of relief on the schedule. We already play at least 2 top 10 teams each season. Clemson will end the regular season undefeated without playing one ranked squad. It doesn't stop the lovefest for them or them getting into the playoff.

Let's get our footing back then bring it on.

Like dumping water on a drowning person? Tennessee has enough of a challenge with in-conference teams. Getting blown out by 50+ by Oregon (Twice) did little to booster our recruiting efforts or team confidence. I agree 100% with the OP. Mid-major OOC competition should suffice.

I’ll take it a step further. We should dump the yearly AL game also. It benefits us little with the current state of our program. At some point we have to make our own history. Let’s replace AL with Ole Miss or Arkansas.

Lol

Tennessee usually has 3 “gimme” non conf games. Tennessee also plays, SC, Vandy, and KY.......every year.

Looks like you wanting Tennessee to win 10 games per year, by default......too funny.

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
Doesn't bother me in the least. To be the best you have to be able to play with the best, that's in any sport.

Reactions: CampBlount

VN Store

Back