How can you defend JG after this?

Tell me, please? Poor decisions the entire 2nd half when we had a chance to win....and it’s been the same for 4 years. God I can’t wait until Bailey is ready

Has any nimrod brought out the completion percentage yet and blamed all other facets of the team?

A better q.b. they can't stack the box!!
QB is not the only issue. They have had plenty of time to address run blocking and pass protection prior to the season starting and the week prior to each game.

Plus, our coaching staff seems to be awful at making adjustments during halftime. And 2 straight years we have been shutout by Georgia in the second half. Last year, Mauer started the game. So you can't blame it on JG there. 3 straight years under Pruitt we have lost to Georgia by 20 plus points. 3 years is enough time for a head coach to get it together to not continue to get blown out by our rivals.

I'm sure it's already been said but of all games to blame JG...this is not it. Our heralded O line got absolutely worked today. Whether it was the ridiculous penalties or the absolute lack of being able to create any type of room for the rush game... the one thing that actually looked somewhat decent today on offense at times was JG and the WR's. Nobody on here can say they would expect JG to win us this game on his own without any type of run game. Zero run game and now its obvious we have to pass, UGA just lined up and brought pressure from all over and our line flat out did not protect JG. Should he have held onto 1 or 2 of those fumbles? Sure. But overall if anything let us down today it was the far underwhelming performance from our big guys up front.

Reactions: k-town_king
I'm sure it's already been said but of all games to blame JG...this is not it. Our heralded O line got absolutely worked today. Whether it was the ridiculous penalties or the absolute lack of being able to create any type of room for the rush game... the one thing that actually looked somewhat decent today on offense at times was JG and the WR's. Nobody on here can say they would expect JG to win us this game on his own without any type of run game. Zero run game and now its obvious we have to pass, UGA just lined up and brought pressure from all over and our line flat out did not protect JG. Should he have held onto 1 or 2 of those fumbles? Sure. But overall if anything let us down today it was the far underwhelming performance from our big guys up front.
JG still doesn't have the ability to recognize a blitz presnap or a line overload, a 5th year senior should have to option to change his protection at the line. Either JG doesn't have that option or he doesn't understand it, either way he doesn't need to play QB at this level.

And another note, early in the first quarter Gary Danielson was talking about GAs DL shifts and said they were easy to do because of Tennessees simplistic calls at the line. Basically odd and even number calls giving away where the play is headed. If they're having to dumb it down that much for JG at this point then wtf are we doing

Okay, so it's not all JG. However your qb is the field general. If he can't find a way to adjust and generate forward movement you have to replace your leader. Sometimes you just need a different look to spark your offense. JG may be the most popular guy in the locker room ( I don't know that) but if you believe the rest of the offensive players are not sick of his lack of production you are fooling yourself. The guy threw the ball up for grabs several times. Got lucky on one of those for a TD.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
16 pages on my phone, and I'm sure similar thoughts voiced by others, but... I've been as skeptical of JG as many of you, but it's pretty crazy to blame this one on him. We had negative rushing yards for the game. Oline play was horrendous. Our first TD was a gift. The two we scored were fantastic throws by JG, and you can definitely argue we created the breaks that led to them (although even there some timely penalties and unforced errors helped us greatly) - but we had no sustained offense the entire game because of the oline. Yes, terrible decision on interception; yes, held ball too long leading to another turnover - but had they swapped in another QB in that environment, I bet we would have had another 2 or 3 turnovers. Georgia's defense is clearly for real. We got our butts kicked at the line, and a shrimpy, skinny QB outran us all over the place. Should have stuck with the short passing game in the middle.

Sadly, if not for JG’s nicely placed passes, we probably only score 7 against uga. Of course, if not for his turnovers, they probably don’t score 400

I have been watching bama and ole miss. The ole miss qb has connected on several passes jg would have been sacked on because of his pocket awareness and lack of mobility. Many of the completions from ole miss qb jg would not have even thrown, because they were not really open but he threw them open, something jg has never been able to to. It looked as if they were covered but the qb knew the receivers route and throwed him open some for td, and I was thinking on some of them jg would not have even attempted the pass, but would have been sacked.
This!! I've always said he only throws when he knows the receiver is open or only receiver can catch it. He has never learned to throw them open.

Reactions: VOLnBama01
UGA's defense played better than UT's OLine.....here's how they do it. They shift usually just prior to the snap. What looked like a run lane disappears. You can't audible nor can you call effective run plays at 1st.

The solution or the best counter is to have a mobile QB and at least one stout running back to pick off a blitzer. Chandler and Gray aren't that good at that task. Tee Hodge or Whitehead will make excellent blockers. Jimmy Holiday although young should be getting plenty of reps at QB to utilize in the future,imo.

Down linemen have to block lanes.....just form half a circle and this is what I expect to see Bama do next Saturday. UGA has a monster at noseguard and they deserve some credit but in no way am I making excuses for our #64 . He protects JG's backside and he missed a lot of fall practice. He's not yet returned to the high level of play that he's capable of. UT did not cheat and played by the rules regarding covid-19 protocols and I followed a lot of the SEC teams prior to season's start to see which teams would be impacted most and UT is very high on the ladder for having players out.

UT will learn from this experience and simply move on. That's about all they can do anyway. Plus it'a free year of eligibility for all players and you talk about a screwed up can of worms....this will create chaos when it comes to scholarships and the ncaa best get some answers to schools because 85 scholarships isn't going to work but they have done made the call. That's a topic for another time....my bad.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
That would fall under lack of development
Can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Shrout would probably be a good MAC QB. Shrout is one concussion away from a health issue. So we’re left with JG until Bailey gets ready. Bailey is the first QB with talent that Pruitt has gotten. Now if he fails to develop I’ll agree with you.

Can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Shrout would probably be a good MAC QB. Shrout is one concussion away from a health issue. So we’re left with JG until Bailey gets ready. Bailey is the first QB with talent that Pruitt has gotten. Now if he fails to develop I’ll agree with you.
Excuse me. Maurer is one concussion away....

When the defense brings more guys than we can block, the QB has to make a timely throw or hit a hot route. In the 2nd half, UGA sat on the RB dump down in the middle and JG couldn’t figure out where to throw it. It’s not just the o-line in pass protection. The QB has a big role as well to get the ball out.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Exactly. Looking at the camera shot of Guarantano on the sideline he was beaten. Even if he is 5 times better than the rest of the QBs combined on the roster, it was time to sit him. Any of the others would have likely tried harder and been excited to get on the field. This is what i simply cannot understand.

Putting Guarantano in for those last two possessions was not going to make him or the team better nor was it going to change the outcome of the game. Putting anyone else in at that point gives the opportunity for someone else to get experience which will hopefully make them a better player and the team better overall.
Not saying you are wrong, but VN would have been in a nuclear meltdown if a backup had his season ended by the GA D especially if those calling for Bailey had gotten their wish. JG has at least proved he can take a beating.

Reactions: gtin723
3rd Down Conversions: Pretty much says it all now doesn't it.

In first 2 games, Tennessee had attempted 27 conversion and was successful 7 times for a .292 %, and a national ranking of #67, which is just above steller programs like Air Force, Tulsa, Syracuse, Tulane. The bright side we are ahead of Arkansas which is #68.

JG is pathetic as a quarterback, he can't move, is a stationary target and makes it nearly impossible for the O line to block those Bull Rush attacks, they know he can't run so they can blitz the crap out of us.

The OL issues were "mostly" assignment based and can be fixed. Sure, they did not handle GA's athletic front, but the OL can dominate most teams in the SEC making them a high potential OL. After watching Bama last night, i think the Vols OL can play better against Bama. JG, on the other hand.....

JG is not able to see the field when things break down. Even Bennett, a kid who may not be the GA starter by seasons end, can move around while keeping his eyes down field. Bennet was under pressure the entire game and made things happen. I have defended JG, but he clearly gets rattled when there are leaks in the protection. The vols need one of two things from QB

1. Ability to move and by time "while under pressure"
2. Ability to make reads much quicker

JG can be accurate, but only on throws down sidelines, which makes him one dimensional. Not good enough.

I do find it a head scratcher that other teams have qb's that can come in as freshman or sophmores and ball out. We seem to take baby steps with qb's. We have to be able to develop qb's as quick as possible. Hopefully Bailey and Salters will be the real deal. We have to quit settled for average qb's on the recruiting trail, especially if they are slow reacting average passers and have no wheels. We need qb's that can process things fast and deliver the ball accurately. If you can't find that at least find a athlete, a average passing slow footed and slow release qb is a recipe for disaster in this league. You don't have to be a fast runner, but you need to be a fast processor with a good arm and at least the ability to feel the defense and make the first guy miss. GBO!

He is a garbage QB. He should've never seen the field this year but Pruitt lazily never found a better option in year 3. Pathetic.

Geez you fair weather fans kill me. You call Pruitt lazy? WTF are you? Do you think you even remotely spend the amount of time at work than he does?

I'm not going to defend JG right now. But these attacks on Pruitt are full of it.

Do you ever think that maybe the coaches think JG is better than the other QBs right now? And for everyone who says they should put Bailey in, don't you realize he missed 14 practices? Maybe he just doesn't know the offense yet.

Geez you fair weather fans kill me. You call Pruitt lazy? WTF are you? Do you think you even remotely spend the amount of time at work than he does?

I'm not going to defend JG right now. But these attacks on Pruitt are full of it.

Do you ever think that maybe the coaches think JG is better than the other QBs right now? And for everyone who says they should put Bailey in, don't you realize he missed 14 practices? Maybe he just doesn't know the offense yet.

It's year three, buddy, and your Senior QB just lost yet another one of many games. 0-33? Interesting. This falls DIRECTLY on Pruitt and no one else. He has completely mismanaged the QB position. There is zero reason for JG to take another snap at this University. ZERO.

Lazy or incompetence, you pick your poison.

VN Store

Back